Flash Drive Confusion

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by 19thlohan, Jul 10, 2014.

1. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Ok so I need to do some major maintinence on my computer so first I wanted to back up any thing important. So I have a 256GB flash drive that I started to upload all my video footage to. After spending a lot of time uploading a lot of video I checked some of the files and several said empty folder. I assumed I screwed up and uploaded the files again. This time I checked and they were there. I uploaded a few more and I noticed that one of the files I reuploaded and checked before again said empty folder. Now I am noticing that The files that show up properly saved add up to roughly 50gb and the computer is telling me that there is still roughly 50gb free. That means that I'm missing 140gb of space. Nothing is showing up when I look at the drive so how do I find out what's taking up that space and how do I free it up?Also any idea how files that were there one minute are suddenly gone another?

2. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

Select to show hidden files or folders. Also try reformatting the flash drive, check that it has roughly 256gb free, then re-add the files to it.

3. 19thlohan

I'm sorry but select what to show the hidden files?

4. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

Which system is this for? Mac or Windows? If Windows, what version?

5. 19thlohan

It's windows 7

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Personally, I do not think a 256GB flash drive can handle a lot of video
    If it is a new flash drive, it should have its own drive recognition

As files are move from one source to another, you have to monitor what other programs you maybe running. Perhaps shutting down non-essential

7. Pearlmks

Pearlmks Valued Member

By flash drive, do you mean a USB storage device, and external SSD, or something else?

If you haven't deleted anything from your computer (there's nothing on your flash drive you can't replace), I'd recommend formatting your flash drive. It's a relatively quick and easy fix and you can rule it out as a problem.

To check for hidden folders: IIRC, open the folders that appear empty. One of the panels at the top of the explorer window says "View". Select it. Third from the left there are a series of vertical check boxes, the first one from the bottom says "Hidden Items". Make sure it's selected. I'm not on a Win 7 OS so I can't be sure the steps are exactly right, but they should be in the ballpark.

You should also run an anti-virus scan. Just in case. There was a virus years ago that did something similar. Very unlikely that this is the problem but you never know.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014