Fitzroy Gardens Melbourne, Australia

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by melbgoju, Nov 22, 2011.

1. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

Hi all,

I was at a meeting in the city today and was walking back to my car through Treasury, then Fitzroy Gardens when I came across some ninjas!

Well, I think they were ninjas; there were 5 of them, all dressed in black gis and tabi with variously coloured belts around their waists.

What I was wondering, was if anyone knows who/what group they are? The instructor looked in his 50s or 60s, and there were no patches on the gis.

2. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

Free-range ninjas?

Be afraid. Be very afraid...

3. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

From what I saw, being afraid was not necessary.

4. StevieB8363

That's disappointing.

I'm in Melbourne, be kinda cool to think we had our own Ninja Clan. What were they doing exactly? Anything interesting?

5. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

I don't want to be negative, as it may have been some sort of "sensitivity" drill, but I think it could be best described as 'weak-aikido-lite'. Irimi-nage and ikkyo-style techniques all done with the attacker running after the defender's wrist in a most unbalanced manner, then falling over and rolling away.

6. StevieB8363

Not my area, so I can't comment. On the plus side, you could always go down and get yourself some street cred by defeating the evil ninja clan. At least, that's how the news would write it up.

7. Nick Mandilas

Nick Mandilas Resistance is an option..

No idea who that is...
    what time was it? I may go down for a sample training session next week.
    :yeleyes:

8. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Hopefully it is them idiots with the old granny claiming to be ninjas. If it is take a paper clip and say it is the McGuyver of the ninja world and let them start thinking.

9. jameswhelan

jameswhelan Valued Member

So rather than ask the person you identified as the instructor (whom you physically walked past) who they were and what they were about, you came on MAP to ask the ninjutsu board?

Rather than express to their faces your concerns about their ability to maintain a respectable win/loss ratio on the MMA circuit, you thought it'd be more productive to come on MAP's ninjutsu board and pepper your posts with digs at their training methods?

LOL?

10. Nick Mandilas

Nick Mandilas Resistance is an option..

I doubt it...the Kevin Hawthorne guys are usually pretty patched up which doesn't seem to be the case here..

11. Dean Whittle

Dean Whittle Valued Member

There was a guy training out of a park in Melbourne a few years ago, IIRC correctly Peter Madden (sp?), called his school Bujinkan Mu Dojo ... maybe it's him.

The school with the granny is Ninja Seishi ryu in Sydney's western suburbs, different city, different state.

With respect

12. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Maybe out on a day trip for edible botany lesson?;)

13. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

Well, he was actively training, and my parking was expiring. 'Twould have been rude (and potentially expensive) to interrupt.

My hope was that someone who actually trains ninjutsu in Melbourne would know who they were; having only done nine months of bujinkan in the past, I am rather out of it in being able to identify who they were, but I like to maintain an interest in who and what is around. And the only place where I have any contact with ninjutsu people from the Melbourne area is MAP. Therefore, posting here.

Oh, and what's with the MMA crack? I struggle to find a logical pathway from what I posted, to your accusation. As to peppering, one facetious and one serious comment (both in response to someone else) is hardly that. From an aikido perspective I did not like what I saw, but without context (which is what I am trying to gain by asking my initial question) I do not know if I am judging what I saw correctly or not.

So, do you know who they were?

14. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

about 4:30pm Tuesday

15. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Best thing is as the other poster mentioned, walk right up and interrupt the class, possibly with a one liner, maybe "I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass! And it looks like were all out of bubble gum!" lol

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Would you like a little salt for the chip on your shoulder?

There was no hostility in the post just a question about whether or not this was agroup anyone recognied. Frankly if it was Ashida Kim teaching publicly I thought you would have welcomed the identification of a group with poor standards

The MMA crack was pathetic

17. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

My school trains on a Tuesday night....but nowhere near the gardens (unless they had an excursion) and Sensei Parker is certainly not in his 50s (although there has been speculations that he's actually in his 100s and is in fact a vampire).

What colour were the belts?

18. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

Well that just ruled out all my possible guesses. Maybe it was Kevin Hawthorne....

19. Cable Focus

Cable Focus Banned Banned

Or just ask them derp.

20. Waldgeist

Waldgeist Men who beg aren't heroes

Or even better: "You have offended my family, and you have offended the Shaolin Temple."