Fist Position

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Judderman, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Godhand

Godhand New Member

while i was taking TKD i was taught that from a horse stance to always keep the chambered fist at about waist level, but having taken systems that stem from shotokan karate since then i've been retaught that the chambered fist in the horse stance should be at chest level, makes it alot more powerful, though everyone who is saying it's illogical in a fight is right, it's just meant for training and kata purposes.

2. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

as is horse stance.

3. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

Generally we only drop our hands to our hips when we do basic punch, to get the basic technique of throwing our hip behind the punch. Yet, when we learning boxing-style fighting we keep our hands up at our face with our forearms going down to protect our ribs, and still move in a way to chamber with the hip. (Shifting weight from foot to foot and twisting)

4. RogerH

RogerH New Member

The movement where you punch with one hand and pull with the other comes from kata. Kata movement's allway's have several application's. In the Application you only do the part of the movement that is acctually used.

Applications for the pulling hand could be releasing from a grip, grab and pull your opponent off ballance, ellbow someone behind you etc. .
    If you dont do any of these things with your pulling hand there is no reason to pull it you just leave it out there to cover your face.

Where you chamber the fist depends on the karate or kung-fu style you do there is no right or wrong I think.
    In shotokan we chambered above the belt now I do Goju-Ryu there we chamber on the chest.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2004
  5. Eero

Eero Valued Member

We hold our non-attacking fist on our side when doing basic technique. It is because of some peculiar reasons that during the Japanisation of karate senseis decided to do it that way. I have read some articles on the subject, but have not really been assured if it is wise or not. It is supposed to teach you about body movement etc.

Of course I would never do that in a sparring or fight situation. I don't enjoy pain that much... :rolleyes:

6. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I 'rest' my non-striking hand on the person I am striking. Usually I find that it is clenched around a wrist, arm, shoulder, clump of hair, neck, ear or jacket.

You have two hands. Use them together. No rest for the wicked. :woo:

JT

7. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

What about your feet? I like to be using them too if I can. :)

8. NIKS

NIKS Baby banana killer :D

I allways carry it below my plexus. I like it because it just feels natural and always did it but i also like it cause it kinda blocks a big part of the scoring area on my body, i can block easier. It's directer towards your body. I also tried to put between my body and face but it takes a bit more effort to block decently and quickly. The distance is too big.
    Ofcourse u can train ur speed in that but hey, I just think, why train it on the hard way while u could just take the easier way.
    ok this is kinda hard for me to explain in english, u know I'm dutch, but i hope u'll understand my opinion here :D

XxxxXxxxX