Fist Configuration in a Hook Punch

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by MikeMartial, Feb 2, 2006.

1. MikeMartial

MikeMartial Lean and Mean

This question has also been posted in the boxing forum. Since the issue came up in a MT class, I thought i would post here also, as the answer may be style-related.

The question at hand: Should your fist be horizontal (palm down) or vertical (palm sideways) when executing a hook punch?

The reason I ask is that in my TKD class, we have always been taught horizontal; this seems natural to me, but I have no other formal training.

Recently, I took a Muay Thai class, and the instructor corrected me to a vertical fist when doing a hook (palm would be facing my face at the end of the technique). This, to me, seems to restrict range of motion, and lacks power. But, then again, I'm not the expert.

Opinions, please. :D

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

well it depends on what you feel comfortable with. doing it horizontally makes it easier to damage your wrist though since it doesnt bend that way very well. pretty much every fighter i know of uses a vertical fist.

and no offense but getting tips on how to do a hook from a tkd coach is like learning how to kick from a boxing coach :D

/me dons flameproof suit

3. Brynja

Brynja New Member

no there isn't a right or wrong way, like Ikken says what feels most comfortable (and strongest for your wrist)

4. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I got told horizontal by my TKD instructor then vertical by people who actually hit other people in the face. Go figure.

5. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

For me, I've found that the position I hold my hand is dependant on the angle that I'm punching. There really is no right or wrong fist position.....

6. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I was under the impression that the horizontal position left the smaller bones on the outside of the hand vulnerable to fractures if the connection wasn't made properly, i.e. contact is made on only the outside 1 or 2 knuckles. Any thoughts?

7. S.I.D

S.I.D Valued Member

ne technic if practised can become comfortable, but to get most out of ur technic u shud flow with the NATURAL moment of human body.
    In case of hook punch vertical fist gives u natural moment of ur wrist then horizontal
    donno abt fractures but if only small outside fingure makes contact then it may losen the fist and can be injured, in case of vertical fist even if slight contact is made its done by ur conditioned knuckles and if full contact then force if absorbed by all the knuckles and fingurs

comments wellcome

8. hux

hux ya, whatever.

LOL that's pretty much how it worked out for me too.

:D

Ikken = harsh man, harsh. :love: :p

9. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

I get taught in my MT class to use whatever I feel comfortable with. it's all down to personal dynamics. I use a horizontal fist, some people use verticle, it makes no difference. Both will damage your hand/wrist if you hit worng, both will dmage your opponent if you hit right. I for one just cannot do a vertical fist hook without feeling like a total numbnuts.

Oh and most people I have seen seem to be able to get better power with the long hook using a horizontal fist, 6 and 2 3's for the close hook.

10. Jahk Nah Rai

Jahk Nah Rai Valued Member

I think the natural posture for a hooking punch is between horizontal and vertical. How are you hooking? With thick boxing gloves on or bare knuckle? With gloves it doesn't matter much and your hands are more or less bound and immobilized to a certain extent anyway. Bareknuckle can be different. One guy here mentioned that it's possible to damage your pinky if you do it horizontally. If you hook vertically, you strike with knuckles which can be stronger. I think distance also dictates how you hook. Your fist will be more vertical as your hooks become longer and wider.

11. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

At my gym the instructer tells us to do whatever way is comfortable with us. Maybe you should mention to your MT instructor that you are more comfortable with doing it the other way.

12. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

Interestingly enought, the first time I was told to use a vertical fist was in Kuk Sool Won, but not by one of the instructors.

In my MMA class, no one has really seemed to make a big deal about which way the fist should be held. Then again, maybe I've just been doing it the right way, so no one ever corrected me. I can't even remember what they originally told us.

I hold my fist vertical because the wrist feels more comfortable, and also because I've heard that it helps prevent boxers fracture (you're more likely to hit with all of your knuckles with a vertical fist than miss a little and only hit with the back two).

In karate, I noticed the blackbelts using horizontal fists the one time they ever had us throw hook punches, but I didn't really trust them too much on that subject, since we basically never threw hooks in there.

13. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but what is this "6 and 2 3's" you're talking about?

14. MuayKiDo

MuayKiDo Che!

Both my boxing and mt coach advised a vertical hand position. But they also said that if horizontal feels good for you, that's the way to go.

It seems to me that twisting your fist to a horizontal position only costs time. I can trow a vertical hook faster and more powerfull than a vertical one.
    But I've been training the vertical one for 4 years with no horizontal hook training. So which was sooner: the chicken or the egg?

15. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

6 and 2 3's mean its all one and the same thing...

6 or (2x3) ;)

My dad used to say that experssion alot.

I'm taught to have the palm facing the floor at boxing, they dont discuss hooks much in TKD.
    They call an uppercut and "upset" punch though :D

16. dexxl

dexxl New Member

this is what i do,.. just me..

Horizontal Fist, when fighting on the inside the distance between shoulder and elbow. eg, he is backed against the rope or corner, or when hands are being tied or in a clinch. I also use the horizontal fist when i'm throwing hooks to the body (not body rips) trying to catch the floating rib with my first two knuckles and driving it downwards.

Vertical fist, on everything else that needs more distance (more distance = trying to hit any target further then length of shoulder to elbow)

unless i'm trying to close that distance with a teleport then i'd horizontal hook him too.. and i'd only ever use a horizontal when wearing handwraps AND gloves. if not it's vertical all the way..

and nooooo i dun sit there and think "umm should i,.. errhhh.. hmmm i think i should turn my fist", i train that way so i dun have to...

17. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

getting tips on how to do a hook from a tkd coach is like learning how to kick from a boxing coach

Wow...I'm keeping this quote :)
    HeHeHe...so true.