Fish's log...

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Fish Of Doom, Aug 30, 2011.

1. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

It's not bad for a pint-sized nipple biting menace though :p

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

see post 1630. also i did stall on squat and dead for a year and a half, i should be repping out 140 by now :(

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  3. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

LOL :D[​IMG]

4. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Yeah, but freak of nature is freak of tiny, awesome sized nature :p

Like you said though you did stall for one reason or another (why do you think that was?). Either way, progress is progress. In other words, you're being too hard on yourself ;)

5. Fish Of Doom

neglect and back injuries, mostly, with a side of intensive oly technique work

6. Fish Of Doom

bulgarian potato the fifth:

front squat:
    60kg 2x1
    80kg 2x1
    90kg 2x1
    100kg 2x1
    105kg 1x1
    105 normal, all the others paused. why? because i can, that's why :p (also because i woke up with no DOMS but don't feel like doing backoff sets).

ohp:
    60kg 1x5
    62.5kg 1x2
    65kg 1x2
    67.5kg 1x2
    70kg 1x3
    rep PR! up to the 67.5 i was doing them kinda relaxed like the front squats, and they felt grindy, so i psyched a bit and unracked violently, so the first went up easy, and the second didn't kill me, so i gambled on a third and ground it out. i am pleased with this.

chin-up:
    1x5
    +10kg 1x5
    +20kg 4x3
    +30kg 1x1
    was tired, so chin didn't clear the bar on the 30, but it came close and i fought for it and also it gives me points on fitocracy so i'll count it.

one arm kb press:
    32kg 2x1
    woohoo! also some swings and some lighter snatches and a handful of wall handstand pushups, but no one cares. wanted to swing the 40kg but the room it's in was in use for a kickboxing class so i'll do it tomorrow.

also there was a gym regular who i always see doing cardio, and who went into the gym at the same time i did. my entire workout took less time than his treadmill warmup. i was amused by this :p

7. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Ha!
    Maybe he uses it as an escape/meditation time...

Good squatting too, but you already know that

8. Fish Of Doom

dipotato:

front squat:
    77.5kg 1x2
    80kg 1x2
    82.5kg 1x2
    85kg 1x2
    87.5kg 1x2
    90kg 1x2
    92.5kg 1x2
    95kg 1x2
    97.5kg 1x1
    100kg 1x1
    102.5kg 1x1
    105kg 1x1
    warmed up with paused singles, then did ramping doubles starting at 70% until i felt like a double would be suicidal, and finished with singles. 105 was super grindy, but that was to be expected. not gonna log, but afterwards overhead work today was empty bar work with overhead/klokov raises, klokov presses and drop snatches in various combinations. then chin-ups.

chin-up:
    +20kg ~12x1
    no one cares about the warm-up, so not logging. slapped on a belt with 20kg and did singles with minimal rest. didn't keep count very well but think i did around 12.

chest dip:
    1x5
    +5kg 1x5
    +10kg 1x5
    +15kg 1x5
    +20kg 1x5
    +25kg 1x5
    BOOBIES. wanted to go up to 30 but that would have been a no-go. weighted dips >>>>>>>>>> flat bench. i hate flat bench :p

9. Fish Of Doom

rancid potato:

front squat:
    40kg 1x1
    50kg 1x1
    60kg 1x1
    70kg 1x1
    80kg 1x1
    90kg 1x1
    100kg 1x1
    105kg 1x1
    up to 70 paused, the rest normal. 105 super grindy. getting tired. but i will NOT fail. i will get 105 ten days in a row without psyching up, or i will die trying! (also i kind of did a bit much yesterday perhaps, what with the doubles. food and sleep should fix it).

clean:
    80kg ~10x1
    felt like doing cleans. most were full, a couple were easy-ish powers, and a couple were not so easy powers. think i must have done about 10 in total.

clean pull:
    80kg 1x5
    90kg 1x5
    100kg 1x5
    120kg 2x3
    120 with straps. pull should be good for a 100 clean once i get my front squat comfortably above 110.

chest dip + chin-up superset:
    7x5
    first three sets and last two sets without resting. ohgodwhy.jpg.

kb swing:
    40kg 5x10
    rested a bit while chatting to one of the regulars, then went downstairs to play with the heavy kettlebell. it's fun.

10. Fish Of Doom

brotato:

front squat:
    20kg 1x1
    40kg 1x1
    60kg 1x1
    80kg 1x1
    90kg 1x1
    100kg 1x1
    105kg 1x1
    up to 60 long pause, up to 100 short pause, 105 normal. grindy, but not too grindy. the rest of the workout was screwing around with 60kg snatches and power snatches for like 10 minutes, then maxing out on barbell curls :p (got 40kg but 42.5 refused to budge)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  11. Fish Of Doom

ptt (is compact):

front squat:
    20kg 1x1
    40kg 1x1
    60kg 1x1
    80kg 1x1
    90kg 1x1
    92.5kg 1x1
    95kg 1x1
    97.5kg 1x1
    100kg 1x1
    102.5kg 1x1
    105kg 1x1
    80kg 2x3
    short squat session before going to see sabaton :D. will probably do something similar tomorrow before seeing dragonforce, then just go bananas on sunday and do a monster session in the morning before travelling.

12. Fish Of Doom

returning potato:
    60kg 3/1/1
    62.5kg 1x1
    65kg 1x1
    67.5kg 1x1
    70kg 2x1
    60kg 1x3
    i iz now back home. gym in oslo was closed when i went on saturday and i ended up not going into london for lifting between flights. arrived, went to uni, dropped by the box to say hi and did some overheads.

13. Fish Of Doom

overdue potato:

workouts i've done since, in chronological order separated by hyphens.

1h oly

---

cnj
    80, 82.5, 85, 87.5, 90, 80kg 1x1
    front squat
    60x1, 80 2x1 paused, 80x2 normal

---

1h oly
    ohp
    60x5, 62.5x3, 65x1, 67.5x1, 70 3x1
    farmer walk
    32kg 200, 50, 25, 25m
    front squat (paused)
    20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100
    btnpp/pj
    60x4, 70x3, 80x2, 60 x5/5/5/5/4
    btn split jerk
    60 2x1, 80x2, 90, 100

---

improv snatchand jerk work. jerked 90, hang powered 60.

---

1h oly. buggered a wrist somehow so did pulls. gonna go make appointment for wrist today.

---

dl
    ramping up to 150, 155, 160, straps on 160 no chalk.

---

yesterday's workout:

back squat:
    110kg 2x1
    90kg 2x3
    70kg 2x5
    morning quickie before uni. warmed up with paused singles. back was shot from the deads so not much got done.

breathing paused jump squats:
    20 to 80 in 5kg increments
    lol. evening session improv.

btnpp/power jerk:
    60kg 1x5
    70kg 1x3
    80kg 2x2
    70kg 3/3/3/5/5/5/3/4/4/4/4/5/5/5
    last three sets PJ.

farmer's walk
    24kg just under 300m

1h kali:
    babby's first kali lesson! i iz stickfighter-in-training now :D

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Boss.

15. matveimediaarts

Kali! Yay! That looks fun. Kinda like a Fillipino version of kobudo. :)

16. Fish Of Doom

it has empty hand too, actually, so it's more like kobudo plus some karate. i did only basic single stick strikes though.

17. matveimediaarts

Yeah, I noticed that...hence the "kinda". ;) Do share the 2 stick stuff when you learn it, plz. It would be interesting to compare it to ni tombo. :cool::hat:

18. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Cool, what kali style/club are training at?

19. Fish Of Doom

https://instagram.com/p/1jYioqJAjY/

oops. lol.

@harryf: school's called kali carabao. as far as i can tell it's an ecclectic lineage based on the craptons of stuff the head guy's done over the years, on a mainly FMA base. trapping, elbows and footwork seem entirely FMA, punching was nearly identical to krotty, but dunno what filipino punching is like to compare, weapons work is FMA through and through afaik (even recognized things from MAP convos :p).

20. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Close! Clean looked easy though

Excellent. You probably know all the things to look for in a 'good' martial arts club and teacher.

Something to look out for that is a little more specific to FMA is whether the teacher's ecclectice experience is put together in to a coherent system for YOU to learn: is it a complete syllabus (and can he teach it in a way that works for you to get better), or is it just a collection of cool techniques and drills with no particular focus?

Also look for progressive overload/challenge once you have learnt the basic technique/drill. This could be a set drill that gradually introduces variables or options that you each have to react to, or it could be increasing pressure to determine that you are optimising the mechanics of a particular response. Both is good.

Finally, look for satisfactory answers to intelligent questions (I'm not talking "what if he punches" type questions, I'm talking more "why are we doing this, how can I apply it?" type questions). I'd be very wary of "because it's always done like that" type answers, but you know that. ;)

Re: what techniques look like, it should depend on the focus of the technique/drill: are you doing something (i.e. hitting with a stick) to simulate something else (i.e. slicing with a blade)?
    Or, is it more a case of: the goal is to hit this guy and not get hit, here are some ideas, find the one that works for you?
    In the second case, punching looks like YOUR punching, kicking looks like YOUR kicking (duh), and swinging stick looks like swinging a stick, if it has an edge, then you don't have to swing it as far before making contact... Simples!

Of course this is what I apply at my own class, your teacher might have different ideas, and, as long as they can answer the question "why..." that's fine :D