Fish's log...

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Fish Of Doom, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

I have to think that part of the problem is a schedule so jam-packed with activity and no rest - which means no wiggle room. When you train hard to build muscle and strength the body needs to REST HARD as well. All parts equal: Exercise, Rest, Diet or the result is = fail.

I like Frodo's idea about rotating through things but I'll take it a step further. Rotate WEEKS. One week, focus on strength training, the next focus on your parkour, etc. That way the body is always adapting, and you can give things their full due rather than spreading your butter too thinnly on your toast, so to speak.

Thats at least my take.

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Over the last week or so I think what Mikey says above is your main problem. You're trying to do too much too soon and not allowing your body to adjust to the higher pressure you're putting on it. If you really must do some activity a couple of times a day, introduce it gradually over several weeks or do a long walk in the morning and your training session later in the day for example.

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i don't have a schedule jam packed with activity and no rest. i do almost literally nothing BUT rest. i'm not even doing formal MA training. i did ONE lifting session, on a tuesday, and was sore for four days straight, despite getting to the point where i ate so much meat and eggs that i literally didn't have any more space to eat more. i already treat parkour as explosive exercise, which is why i don't want to be sore when i do it.

4. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

It doesnt seem that way though FOD. With all the random exercise you throw in there you dont really get to truly REST. When I say rest I mean do nothing more than walk from the kitchen to your comfy chair, lol. So all these sets of pushups and lunges and what not, coupled with Parkour, etc seems like a lot of activity for a body trying cope with a new, more demanding workout and soreness that lasts days.

5. Fish Of Doom

but i don't do those all the time. i decided to do them that one day. i literally did nothing for four days after the leg workout, and had to skip parkour because i wanted to avoid pulling something...

6. Frodocious

Every time you add more exercise to your routine you need to remember that you have to give your body time to adjust. This applies to doing a new routine for the first time or adding extra random exercises during the day. You will get sore. You have to accept that and just eating more protein won't help. You need to have a schedule that increases gradually, not a sudden leap into doing loads of work during the day. Also depending on how sore you are, you can train. My quads are still sore from adding in sprints on Monday, but I lifted yesterday, and did conditioning work today and will lift tomorrow. If I never trained when I was sore, I'd probably only do 1 or 2 sessions a week.

Get a schedule that gradually increases the amount of exercise you're doing, try to balance out strength, conditioning and other exercise, eat well, sleep well, foam roll if you can and take an occasional hot bath. If your home during the day have an afternoon nap to aid recovery. You're young and fit, if you're sensible with your training and recovery you really shouldn't have a problem training 6 days a week - heck if Mikey and I can, you can too!

7. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Fish, great thing to post a blog and open yourself up like that. My hat off to you. In reading through yours, I wonder what your goals are. Training in all its respects is difficult, as there are just so many things you can do and at the same time only so many things you can actually do. You will only progress if you progress in your training and that demands some consistency in your training. You seem a bit all over the place. My expertise is helping others reach their MA training goals and I will gladly help you in anyway I can to reach those goals.

8. Fish Of Doom

my main goal for now is simply exercising consistently. if i wasn't doing parkour i would suck it up and cycle gym days, but one, i want to do parkour, and two, it's the only consistent IRL social contact i get here. what i want physically is first to balance out my physique (weak hamstrings and middle back, underused glutes and short hipflexors from sitting posture, rounded shoulders from excessive pushups and tsuki with improper hikite and lack of specialized back training. the program mikey made for me is epic for this but if i'm going to do parkour as well, i'll need a couple extra days in the week, else, as i discovered, i'm ending up missing workouts and losing motivation.

i'm set on keeping the gym for the pulling, and restricting my pushing and core work to the one armed pushups and pistol squats at home, doing the gym session asap after parkour, then the pushups and pistols either on the same day or on consecutive days, on a sort of grease the groove, aiming not only to get my unilateral calisthenics mojo back, but also to keep off my damn ****, as i spend almost the entire day sitting down.

9. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Have you ever deadlifted?

10. Fish Of Doom

yes, why?

11. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

I personally think traditional dead-lifts have done more for me than any other exercise.

12. Fish Of Doom

13. Frodocious

Postural problems from 'lifestyle' issues are not going to be solved by 1 day of pulling a week, you need to be constantly dealing with them. Stand up from your computer and stretch at least once an hour, look into mobility drills and do them several times a week, move around more, go for walks, constantly think about pulling your shoulders back from hunched etc.

Some good tips here:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...aining_performance_repair/heal_that_hunchback

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/noglutes.html

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...raining_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth

http://www.dieselsc.com/innovative-glute-activation-get-stronger-and-fix-your-posture (and see the links at the bottom)

14. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Hrm... you might want to spend some time focusing on pullups, headstand/handstand pushups and assisted glute-ham raises. I found that doing these (in addition to one-arm pushups, pistols and dragon flags) REALLY straightened me out.

Plus, all you need is a pullup bar and maybe something to wedge your feet under for GHRs. Win-win, as far as I'm concerned. :love:

15. Fish Of Doom

just spent the last two hours or so doing one pistol with each leg every 15 minutes, stopped because i was approaching technique failure. we'll see if i improve next week, and i'll also add one handed pushup reps (probably one or two per set).

16. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Sounds perfect to me. I am sure you'll be able to confidently do at least one more next week. Those are a bitch and awesome.

17. Fish Of Doom

indeed. got massively bummed when my left leg failed on me last week, as well as by how much my hip flexors hurt on one-armed pushpus, which was new, unexpected and extremely unpleasant. so i'll just put them on a sort of pseudo grease the groove until my body decides to quit being a bloody idiot before i start doing them in normal sets again.

18. Fish Of Doom

went to the gym today to do a light pulling session. was short on time so didn't do bagwork.

5x5 upright rows with unloaded oly bar

3x10 bent over rows with unloaded bar, 5x5 with bar + 2.5 kg

5x5 romanian deads with bar + 20 kg

then did a little hip dynamic stretching using the bottom position of a back squat (empty bar, then bar + 10 kilos), and pistol squats (using a 12 kg kettlebell as counterweight).

19. Fish Of Doom

just did some isometric stretching and dynamic mobility drills for hip joints and shoulders.

20. Fish Of Doom

had another go at my pseudo GTG yesterday, doing one pistol and one OAP each side every 20 minutes, but had to cut it short due to unavoidable circumstances. however, neither this nor the previous time i tried have made me sore (as it's a very low volume) so i'll see about doing them more regularly.

gym tomorrow, or ELSE. (need to fix my sleep schedule. keep oversleeping. ideally perhaps i should go lift in the morning?)