First time trying jiu jitsu need advice

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by MindTricks, Sep 9, 2012.

1. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

i have never done any martial arts before or much fighting. My stamina is poor i run out of breath in few meters... my life style is not active. I smoke, and like to drink on weekends ( can stop with drinking i only do it coz im bored ) smoking however will be hard but ill give it a go. I m very skinny but i do go to the gym 1-4 times a week. Haven't done much of it in past few months tho

im 25 years old btw

i was just wondering if this type of martial art is to hardcore for some one like me ? maybe i should prepare my self first and do some running or something to boost up my stamina. One lesson is like 1.5-2 hours i just dont want to collapse in the middle of it lol

any tips or advice would be much appreciated, thanks

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

What type of JJ is it?

Unless you have some underlying condition I wouldn't worry too much.

Fitness will come and a good Dojo/gym won't expect miracles from you in your first few weeks.

Probably wouldn't hurt to do something outside of class though.

3. Simon

Simon Moved on Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

Don't worrry sbout getting fit first. You will make some flexibility gains while martial arts training and you stamina will naturally increase as time goes on.

My advice is to go along and don't try to keep up with the senior students.

Make sure you remain hydrated. Sip throughout the day, don't leave it until the last minute. Also make sure you get a decent nights sleep.

Finally make sure you programme in rest days. Drop a gym session if you have to. Rest is so important.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

4. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

@ Dean Winchester

My friend told me its jiu jitsu and also mixed martial arts and ill be going there once or twice per week.

Thanks

@ Simon

thanks for tips, my friend also told me not to worry about getting fit... i m just paranoid that im not fit enough for this type of sport.

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool the merc with the mouth MAP 2017 Moi Award

You'll get fit from the training, Check out the background of the gym teaching the MMA though, theres a lot of unsafe clubs opening up cashing in on MMA's popularity.

A good sign for MMA gyms is if theres BJJ, (brazilian Juijitsu) classes going on there from qualified (i.e. purple belt and above, but Blues are ok) people.

Just take it easy, and slowly push your fitness.

6. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

Lol, have fun getting your butt whipped for a long time! Strangely, if your attitude is right..this will somehow invigorate and motivate you to continue training and get better. Its a great feeling when you finally learn to relax in your movements and your opponent is the person gasping for breath instead of you (when my teacher continuously tells a student to relax, and the student argues that he is relaxing, my teacher will tap him out by covering his hand over the guy's mouth and nose...funny, but also shows how winded you can get if you muscles around the whole time).

Nothing is too hardcore for you, bro. You may need to make adjustments in your life and self and comfortably do something...but its my belief that most people can do most things. Best!

7. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

thanks for comments guys :) feel much more confident now

just spoke to my friend and he told me not to worry about being unfit and just go... and change my gym work out from lifting heavy weights to strengths exercises. Think this will be much better for me since im not gaining much muscles anyway...

feeling very exited about it ! always wanted to do something like this but never had guts to do it.

8. Simon

Simon Moved on Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Excellent decision.

When I first started martial arts at 17 my instructor told me I was now different to everyone else. I think that was because I had taken a special path, one not walked my many people.

You'll ache, feel confused, have a thousand questions and most of all, absolutely love it.

9. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

The more you train the more you'll get an idea of what types of exercises will translate directly to your training. A lot of plyo and core is important...burst strength, etc. Have fun!

10. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

ok so i tried JJ and didnt like it to be honest... i realized that i dont like wrestling xD But i spoke to a guy there and he told me to give thai boxing a try. So i did and i absolutely loved it !!!! its the best thing that ever happened to me, makes me want to quit smoking and exercise. I am proper hooked after just one season,will be doing it twice a week for now coz i still want to go to the gym and improve my stamina and gain little more muscles. Also thinking of getting a punch bag to practice at home :D one hour just not enough xD

11. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Thai boxing is fun and a nice martial art. You can always go back to jiu jitsu at a later date. Enjoy the thai boxing!

12. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

this is a bit of an oxymoron

13. Dead_pool

Isolated mirror muscles vs compound kinetic chain muscles?

14. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

the best way to get compound kinetic chain muscles is to press, pull, clean and squat big ass weights.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  15. Dead_pool

Agreed.
    But I wouldnt start to learn oly lifts with my peak bench weights!

16. slasha

slasha Banned Banned

I wouldnt worry to much about the fitness you will develop specificly for the training, my old sensei smoked 20-40 a day and drank like a fish but still did 80 odd pressups.
    Stank like a pub capret in the 70's though