First thread...Introductions?

Discussion in 'Koryu Bujutsu' started by fifthchamber, Nov 26, 2007.

1. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

Well...Since no one has posted we should start at the beginning I reckon...

What art do you train in?

Takeuchi Ryu Kogusoku koshi no mawari here....

Anyone else?

Regards.

2. Bowegie

Bowegie Valued Member

Chinese Long fist, both modern and traditional. San Shou, Yang style tai chi chuan. And a smattering of very basic wing chun, chin na and shou jiao. ^^.

3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Traditional aikido and aiki ken. Have had some good discussions with Western swordsmen here on MAP which I would include in ancient arts.

regards koyo

4. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Sorry guys, I was busy at work this evening.

I have a background in gendai budo too, judo, karate, aikido, seitei iai, seitei jo and I did a style of modern generic self defence jujutsu as well.

I have had experience in Muso Shinden-ryu iai, Shinto Muso-ryu jo, Araki-ryu, and a number of other koryu jujutsu ryuha. Due to connections via my sensei, I was allowed to train in these seperate ryuha without the usual political problems that happen.

I now travel to Japan twice a year to continue in training and researching the koryu I have chosen to follow (Bear in mind that I don't mean all of the schools I have had experience in - I'm not a Jack of all trades type, it's rather difficult to find a ryuha that suits your character and psychology.) In addition I also run a very small dojo in London.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  5. jasonservis

jasonservis Avid crosstrainer

Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu (Iaido Hokiyama-Ha)

6. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

I have 14 years of Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu experience (take that any way you like). I currently live in Japan and am looking for a traditional Koryu to study. I have been researching and looking into many different arts, before I bother checking anyone of them out personally.

So any suggestions would be welcomed.

7. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Hyoho Niten ichiryu Kenjutsu.

Also Iai. Once my Seitie is better I'll be going on to Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu.

Bujinkan too!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  8. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Well primarily almost twenty years in the Bujinkan (Godan) plus Kyudo and Judo background. Hopefully will finally get to start Kendo training in the new year. Although I've never formally studied any koryu, I've been very fortunate to sample training occasionally in several of these - one day seminars and so forth. I'd love to become more involved in koryu but I also recognise the huge commitment that such study should involve and I realise my limitations in putting that commitment forth at this stage. Maybe one day though. In the meantime, think of me as a fascinated outsider.

9. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Greetings All,

I've been practicing MA since the early 80s, mostly gendai arts (karate, jujutsu etc) and kobujutsu. These days I am too old and panzer-esque (or just a big girls' blouse, depending upon who you ask) to be chucked hard onto the mat for fun - so I stick to weapons arts.

I practice iai (ZNKR seiteigata and MJER), kenjutsu (Hyoho Niten Ichiryu) and kendo (ZNKR). Considering SMR jo if my knee gets any worse and hampers my iai practice... :(

10. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

Matsunoryu Goshinjitsu, and Haraido Jujitsu

11. bdstexas

bdstexas Valued Member

Mr. Sharples,

Is there a difference between Takeuchi Ryu and Takenouchi Ryu? I have read there are several lines of this school. Do they differentiate themselves by the differences in pronunciation? I am particulary interested in Takeuchi/Takenouchi Ryu due to what I have seen visually as well as it is still passed down as a family art. That as well as Araki Ryu and Katori Shinto Ryu have impressed me the most. After seeing Takenouchi and Araki Ryu in action I lost that notion that jujutsu is strictly grappling.

Previously I tried my hand at Hikita Kage Ryu, judo, and Bujinkan.

12. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

Hello Mr Sass,
    Please call me Ben...(Anything other than "Fifthchamber" is okay actually).

There are three lines of Takeuchi/Takenouchi Ryu in Japan, the main family line comprises two, the Sodenke line and the Soke line, headed by Takenouchi Tojuro Sensei and Takenouchi Toichiro Sensei respectively. The family line split in order to preserve the ryuha's teachings better by having two heads entrusted to keeping it going..They still train in the same area of Okayama and live within stones throw of one another, so it is essentially one school with two "caretakers" if you like.

The third line of the school is mine, the Bichu Den, seperated from the family line at the time of the third head of the school, he passed his teachings onto a family member who lived in Kurashiki, in Bichu (Modern day Kurashiki City/Okayama City area) and the Ryuha continued there in the same fashion as the family line, albeit perhaps somewhat more "exposed" in the way it trained as it was taught in a town, rather than in the mountains...

Recently all three lines have drawn closer and examinations of the kata contained in all three has shown that not much at all has been changed..There are some differences in how the sets are taught, but the kata are essentially the same, and the older sets are entirely unchanged..(As one should expect perhaps..).

The Bichu Den is headed by Ono Yotaro Shihan, who lives in Kyoto, but still has Dojo in Okayama City and Kurashiki, and retains in original roots there strongly..

I hope that covers some of the major points you wanted to know..The name is 竹内流 but the reading of it differs between the Bichu Den and the family line, since it is their name I would guess that it is properly "Takenouchi" but the Bichu Den, having moved to a different part of Okayama pronounce it in a different way.."Takeuchi"..Still the same, and only pronounced differently.

Regards.

13. Kogusoku

There are a number of offshoots of Takenouchi-ryu/Takeuchi-ryu which have techniques in their syllabi which are either identical in their technical repertoire and applied to completely different scenarios/paradigms or look completely different on the surface, yet utilise the strategies, concepts and principles.

Techniques in Araki-ryu are very different in execution to the way TR does them, yet you can see the influence and that rugged, combative and adaptive mindset at work.

The techniques and principles taught in another offshoot of TR, like Sosuishi-ryu are in some cases almost identical to it's progenitor, yet certain philosophical outlooks are rather different.

Rikishin-ryu in it's curriculum is very similar too.

All three examples have very similar paradigms complete with strategies and concepts about how to negotiate them.

These comparisons have been explored at length whenever I have been in Japan for training and research and like Mr. Amdur in his writings have come up with similar findings.

It's very hard to write things like this without saying too much isn't it?

14. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Toda-ha Buko ryu here :)

15. Kogusoku

With the nihonto, noone can do the poki like the Hoki.

Ryu that is....

16. Kogusoku

Welcome. :)

Whereabouts are you from?

17. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Thanks Kogu. Currently living in Melbourne, Australia

18. Kogusoku

Please give my regards to Mr. Keeley, I haven't seen him since 2002 at the Nihon Budokan with Ron.

19. bdstexas

bdstexas Valued Member

I was thinking about this thread last night when I was watching some videos. I am one of those geeks that bought the entire Nihon no Kobudo series. I watched Araki Ryu and Takeuchi Ryu last night and they brought back memories of my training in Takagi Yoshin Ryu. I can see some vague similarities in the techniques themselves. The difference is in the scale of "roughness" in the technique. A couple of the techniques were similar in all three schools with Takagi Yoshin Ryu being the least rough, Takeuchi Ryu being rough but sophisticated, and Araki Ryu being the roughest. Am I grabbing at straws here?

20. disabledhero

disabledhero jab jab elbow jab knee

i have done shotokan karate do for 5 years now