First sparring session=dissapointment

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by tonyv107, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

Not really, I was already pretty badass when I took up martial arts.

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Not really, no matter what someone can try to do, they may not be able to become a fighter.

That said, martial arts develop a lot more "strengths" than physical-fighting ability

3. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Change to 'I'm definitely'. It was your first hard sparring session ever, being down on your self is unproductive and not helpful and will interfear with your development. Look at what wrong and get better, I'm sure you did good stuff as well during the session.

By the sounds of things you may be either looking down or closing your eyes at times. Work on keeping your eyes on your opponent at all times, sure you'll do alot better next time :)

4. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

After busted lips, eyes and throbbing head I'm finally frying used to it. I no longer get phased when being punched with combinations and my head movement and footwork has improved greatly. I asked my coach to take a video of me sparring to help me
    Figure out what I need to work on.

Currently I know I'm dragging my punches which leaves me open to counters after throwing a combination, especially vs a person with faster hands.

5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Three words;

Practice, practice, practice

6. evojm72

evojm72 Valued Member

Keep up the good work Tony. I tend to focus on all the positives I get out of sparring ie which punches land, which combos work, techniques that I've pulled off that fooled my (mostly much better) sparring partners and not how much of a pasting I've invariably taken (lately not so much!).

But as Martial Man said practice, practice, practice!

7. Specops779

Specops779 New Member

I do both Kodenkan Jujitsu and BJJ. I absolutely love BJJ (even though I've been doing Kodenkan Jujitsu since I was 8). Which martial art do you think is better?