First session

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Southpaw535, Jul 24, 2009.

1. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I come from ajudo background and often apply judo techniques in aikido. below is koshi nage..hip throw..bad news judoka apply it is a shoulder throw..so add about another two feet to the breakfall.

ENJOY yourself.

koyo

Attached Files:

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Bad news. been ill again so I've been told pretty strongly I'm not going today, going to try another session on tuesday run by another of the coaches form the old club. I am now ticked off and off to update the Grrr thread :p

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

You have plenty of time young one:hat:

4. tokman20

tokman20 Valued Member

expect to have alot of fun. they should teach you the basics (break falls, some throws and some submissions). and sore fingers once you're finished.

5. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

watch out for the strangles. Check out Kyuzo Mifune on google.

6. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

looks like fun :D

7. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

Randori

Randori is not just about Tachi Waza[standing techniques],Randori gives you the opportunity to try various movements.These can be hold down or shime waza[strangles] or arm Locks.Its up to you and your partner to decide whatever you want to do.For example a throw can be followed up by groundwork etc Judo should be an integrated system of throws , locks , pinning and choke locks. Dont see the waza separate.Happy breakfalls!!

8. dimitris

dimitris Valued Member

Learn the ukemis well,when you master them you will love Judo_One of my favorites things in practice is when my partner throws me,love it.

9. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

I've been training in Judo since October when I moved to Oxford and couldn't find a BJJ class I could afford. Judo's fun and the two clubs I've experienced seemed to spend more time easing you in than my BJJ club so I wouldn't be expecting people to be smashing you all over the matts in the beginning.

In terms of stand up randori in my experience it is relatively rare in classes that it is combined with ground fighting, this may be due to space limitations at the places I trained (even though they use large halls...) but I also think it's just more generally because judo does place less of an emphasis on ground fighting hence the rather short time limits in actual matches.

There are dedicated ground fighting sessions (newaza) and these are good but they are generally not as involved or as intense as BJJ which makes sense because at a BJJ class most of the time all you are doing is ground work whereas in Judo groundwork at best makes up 50% of the class.

I think the focus on groundwork also varies between clubs as does what you are permitted and not permitted to do at various belts. For instance, in the ULU Judo club in London I was allowed to do pretty much any lock to any belt as long as I was using control and not injuring people but in Oxford I'm not allowed to do arm locks or triangles to anyone orange belt or below. So it seems to vary.

But anyway, you should enjoy Judo it's a lot of fun and there is quite a lot of crossover with BJJ. Enjoy!

10. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

I'd say BJJ is worse for bruises and such. Arms keep looking like week old bananas.

Judo is more of a bone-deep ache all over