first routine

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by roninmaster, Jan 15, 2013.

1. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

okay so this is my first time posting a routine before but here go.

i'm currently 21 and weigh 185 which is over 40lbs lighter than i was a year and half a go. I got that light by working out about 4 times a week and eating healthier in training for a BJJ tournament. After i dropped the weight it just seemed to stay off for some reason, even when i pigged out.

however, I'd like to slim down more. ( target weight is 175) while gaining more strength and muscle. However primary goal is to be in good shape for BJJ.

since I don't have a car of my own i can only make it to BJJ about 2 times a week. 3 if I'm lucky. So I have to train to some degree at home to be in shape as much as I hate to train there( easily distracted) . Here is my plan.

I've decided to do this powerlifting routine.
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/powerlifting-workout.html

in addition to my 2-3 times weekly BJJ. to avoid over exert myself I was only go to do weight training on the days I didn't do BJJ.

I realize I need cardio. Its the bain of my existence. I've actually been discourage from intense running for fear of it actually burning muscle. what cardio do you all recommend. I have some insanity tapes, but I also could just jump rope.

suggestions and critiques?

2. Vitty

Vitty Valued Member

I'm almost in the same boat as you with trying to increase strength and build muscle except I'm looking to gain weight, not sure if it's any help for you but for cardio I do about 6 sets of 20 metre sprints and also sprint work on the rowing machine (trying to get to 300m/min) but if you're not training at a gym then doing skipping at home should do fine, I was doing about 1 min rounds with a 15 sec break before my last tournament but started too late and it didn't make much difference at my fight.

Hope this helps a little.