First MMA class

Discussion in 'MMA' started by special43543, May 2, 2006.

1. special43543

special43543 Special Member

Okay, let me start off by saying this is my second day "back" at my BJJ club. They are now running no gi grappling, mma, and kickboxing classes as well as just regular BJJ. So I joined up and second day back, but the first day was just BJJ like I was already out. I trained for about 8 months so I am fairly...capiable on the ground(I don't dare to say im good :p ).

I don't know why I am letting this beat me down so much, but I got OWNED in my MMA class. First class was no gi grappling which I did fine in, got a few slick subs, but come mma time...I rolled against one of our 2 purple belts. When we got to the ground, I got my <deleted> handed to me. Granted, he is a purple belt and doing mma for a bit now, my jiu-jitsu went to <deleted>. I was letting him take everything, not blocking anything or sweeping or anything. My whole goal seemed to get my hand free and punch.

Is there something I can do mentally or something to tell myself do my jiu-jitsu before anything else, or will this come with time? My first BJJ class I was overwhelled also...but I mean this is what I have been doing for a while. The whole pace of everything was overwhellming. I was rolling with one of our best guys, and a guy that outclasses me anyway, but thats no excuse for letting him take mount with ease every time. I don't get cought in far that many subs by him with a gi, why should I without a gi?

One positive is that I feel like I am learning a lot now. It is the feeling of when I start a new martial art, with the stand up and everything. I did taekwondo, so I have no punching ability because I couldn't horse stance him.

Any comments or anything would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2006
  2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

well MMA is very different from straight BJJ, especially these days. plus i imagine adding in the fists of fury put you under more pressure than straight rolling (I know it does for me) which is when technique tends to go down the toilet. i wouldnt sweat it.