First Lesson

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Saz, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Hi all,

I'm going to take my first proper Judo lesson this Wednesday, so if you don't mind, I'm going to pester you all with some dumb n00b questions until I get to grips with it :D

My first question; my friend's husband does Judo, and he showed me his Judogi. Its way thicker than even my heaviest Karate gi. He told me a lot of Judo move's are done from the gi, so it needs to be thick so it can hold a person's bodyweight without ripping. Will my Karategi be able to cope with a Judo class, or should I wear something else? I don't expect to be doing much in the way of throws and chokes.

This lead's me on to my 2nd question, what exactly does a newbie Judo class entail. What can I except to do?

:D

2. judojedi

judojedi Officer of the Crown

1st question:
    your karate gi should do for your first couple of lessons but if i was you (and you are going to keep it up) deffoe get a jodo gi.

2nd question:
    people who come for their first lesson with me often learn break fall and rolls then have some ground work fights. and thats it. depends on your instructor, you may do some throws aswell.

tip: forget your karate training in the judojo, it'll only work against you.

3. Jim

Jim New Member

Long term? Not a chance, but wear your heaviest and see how you go. No point in buying a new Gi if you find you don't like it.

If you came to my class, Says, that's exactly what you'd be doing.

It varies, but odds are they'll want to make sure you can handle being thrown so it'll involve a lot of breakfalls and escalate in throwing and 'stuff' from there.

Have fun (are you taking anyone with you?)

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Thanks for the replies guy's, I feel a bit less nervous now. I'll see how long I can cope with just the karategi, and then buy a new gi if I like it. I can't wait, I'm really looking forward to it. I've been planning to get to the class for a while now.

Jim, remember my friend who came on and posted ages ago? I'm going along with her husband, since he wants to get back into it, and he'll be able to tell if the class is any good, since he's done it before.

5. Jim

Jim New Member

Regardless of what he says, do what feels good for you!

6. saikyou

saikyou New Member

agree. ;) goodluck kgirl!

7. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

karate gi's will rippppppppppppp in half doing judo! but being your first day, you probably won't be doing anything too heavy for the gi. Ukemi etc. have fun!!! judo is fun!! bleh i'm just repeating what people said ! haha

8. Jim

Jim New Member

Heya K-Girl, are you over being sore yet? :D

9. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

heh heh- I lost my judogi the other night and had to train in my old lightweight karate gi. It's now useless except for rags...

10. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Just about, I have some mean brusing just under my biceps though! Work from the Gi my foot! :rolleyes: My friend's husband didn't go after, so I went along on my own. Its a great club though, there's a very good atmosphere there, and all the students looked happy. One of the instructors bears a remarkable likeness to Bruce Willis too :D

I did pretty much everything everyone else did, plus some breakfalling. I never thought I could get falling over so wrong! I really liked it, class is shut for two weeks for christmas now, so I won't go back until after that. I think it goes really well with my karate too, so I'm happy I've found a 2nd art that suits me :D

11. Jim

Jim New Member

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. (and also glad that someone at least gets back to a thread when they've posted asking for comments on another art...) ;)

12. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I try my best ;)

13. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Hey Sarah, you going to keep it up?

Col

14. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Yeah, I hope so. I like it, it suits me and fits in well with the Kyokushinkai. I'm just not the best at sticking with things. I'd make it my New Years resolution, but that'd mean I'd never last past January.

:D

15. TAPOUT

TAPOUT New Member

just have fun and love the art its the gental way

16. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Thats what I thought before I went to class. Nothing gentle about it :)

17. TAPOUT

TAPOUT New Member

yes very true judo is still a great art

18. saikyou

saikyou New Member

agree. great art indeed. i want to stick with this ma for the rest of mah life. goodluck kgirl!