First kickboxing match, against a tkd guy...

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by ilitrit, Oct 7, 2004.

1. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

I cant and I know what you mean, I felt the same as you when I saw it as well. But what you saw on the tv is completely different to the true art of TKD. I cant speak for every school but we train to use our hands as much as our feet.

2. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Olympic TKD doesnt represent the whole art. When we go to tournaments then we dont punch to the face, but during class and interschools comps its punching all the way.

Olympics was crap, state and nationals is where all the action is.

3. Thrice

Thrice New Member

Yeh i did a few TKD lessons but i had to stop for money problems at the time. In the classes i went to we did just as much punching as kicking. More often than not we used boxing punches. I just dont understand why its so diff in the olympics. Its the biggest platform to show a martial art yet its so waterd down. Im in no way saying its easy or lacks skill its just silly to me to just use only 1/2 of what you learn, on a big show like the olympics. A whole lot of people will get the wrong idea. :confused:

4. NaughtyKnight

I dont know why the Olympics dont use punches.

Olympics is stupid, I lost all respect for it last year.

5. Getalifebud

Getalifebud Valued Member

People complain about olympic TKD, even though it does bring a lot of doubt to TKD I think that the way it is is fine, as an olympic sport, but I think less people should think this is the real thing.

6. NaughtyKnight

They had to water down TKD to get it into the Olympics. After people watch it they think that all TKD is like that.

7. Thrice

Thrice New Member

why did they have to water it down to get in?

8. NaughtyKnight

I remember reading that it was too violent in its current state to be accepted into the Olympics (thats why Karate isnt in the Olympics, though they have tried) so they watered it down.

9. rtkd-badger

Thats a big price to pay just to get into the Olympics, make me glad that I found a traditional form of the art.

10. NaughtyKnight

ITF is alot safer when it comes to finding good schools. WTF is much more difficult. I was lucky, a few of my mates were training with him and I saw their skill level, It was an easy choice to join in.

Avoid all TKD schools that spar only Olympic tkd rules like the plague. Avoid all schools that spar point stop. Avoid all schools that do not teach punching or low kicks.

TKD is a feasting ground for Mcdojangs as it is one of the most practised arts in the world at the moment.

11. bburns1066

bburns1066 Valued Member

I too watched the Olympics and was deeply disappointed, like many other people have stated, it does not represent the true meaning and contrast of the art.

I too am glad that I have found a school that sits under the ITF banner and is run correctly. We practise many different hand techniques and take downs etc.

I get the impression some people think TKD is a art of fly kicks and split kicks but nothing could be further from the truth. I hear a lot of people say it's not a practical art in a fighting situation but I feel that's rubbish it has got me out of a couple of stick situations before.

Any way that's my 2pence worth!! :woo:

12. NaughtyKnight

Just think people. If TKD is so "crappy, and ineffective" then why does the North Koreans train their arm and elite guard in TKD. Why do they guard all stand in TKD ready stance if its so crap and doesnt work on the street.

TKD is a military art, most armies around the world have TKD technique in their arsneal. Why? Because they work.

You guys need to stop comparing TKD to thoes crappy child minding MCdojans you either trained at or saw when you were kids. I dont judge Karate by all the crap schools i have seen, I dont judge kickboxing for all the crap fighters I have seen, I judge Nijustu from all the try hard "ninja gangsters" that occupy the internet.

Why are we debating on a thread that was about a fight months ago?

13. rtkd-badger

Tis not so much about debating on an out-dated thread but about fighting a TKD guy. The fight may have come and gone but the issue is still there and all the advice may help someone else. As misguided as a lot of it is :D

14. NaughtyKnight

True.

Then I will give you my advice. Do not underestimate your opponent just because they do TKD. Dont think that just because they do TKD they dont know how to cave your face in with a punch. Dont think their just going to throw a high kick and hold it there so you can sweep their other leg out. Dont think that their first move is going to be a fly kick, it will most probably be a low roundhouse followed by them raining punches down on your face.

15. DEATHskull

DEATHskull TKD Bearfighter

This one time a TKD "blackbelt" came to our kenpo school to spar with us. I was a purple belt at the time, which is like an intermediate level. So, it's my turn to spar with this guy, and he does exactly what I'm expecting, nothing but high kicks. I basically just tried to stay close to him out of the effective kicking range and just worked him with my punches. He was an exceptional blocker though and I was really surprised at how well he blocked my flurries, but he still couldn't connect with his beloved roundhouse kick to the head.

I'm not knocking on TKD or anything because they do have outstanding kicks, and I actually would take it just for that, I think if somebody took TKD and boxing at the same time however, they would be more effective all around in kickboxing. But in this instance, I went in to the fight expecting him to kick high, and that's what he did.

Granted in all my years of sparring I have been kicked in the head...once, and this was when I was studying wushu and sparring a red belt. So, I'm not saying it isn't possible, but it would be more realistic to go for other targets and then wait for that perfect opportunity to kick them in the head, instead of just throwing every kick up there and just hoping one of them connects.

16. rtkd-badger

This reminds me of my first grading. I had to freespar a blackbelt and his legs were just to good for me so I shut him down with my fists. When he tried to back away from me I stuck to him a threw punches. I triple graded that day

17. NaughtyKnight

Nothing like a flurry of punches to stop a ko from a head shot.

Just becareful of the jumping back kicks/roundhouses, you get with one of thoes in the ribs or chest and you are going down.

Also, watchout for the spinning hook kick, i can still hit my opponent in the head with it from the clinch.

18. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

If you think TKD doesnt involve hand techniques, have a look at the patterns. Very few kicks lots of hand techniques.