First Judo lesson

Discussion in 'Judo' started by KY23, May 27, 2003.

1. KY23

KY23 New Member

I joined a local dojo last week. Last night I had my first lesson. I am way out of shape. I couldn't believe how physically demanding the session was.

This is going to get me in shape fast.

2. Jim

Jim New Member

It's funny that Judo uses a lot of muscles that a person wouldn't usually use. I've had bodybuilders and aerobic instructors come to class and be really stiff and sore a couple of days after the lesson.

Hope you stick with it and let us know how you go.

3. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Consider what you are doing, working to physically dominate another individual while they do the same to you. Thats hard work ;)

4. KY23

KY23 New Member

Thank god I have a hot tub and a very nice wife that gave me a good massage...otherwise I would not have been able to walk the day after.

My neck is really sore and my ribs and abs are sore to touch. Other than that a day later I was fine.

5. Mark

Mark New Member

I prefer to gain strength through practice than weight lifting for that reason, there seems to be a Judo technique for every muscle group.

My Sensei tells us constantly that we need to relax and work on technique rather than trying to strong arm our oponent. My old Sensei was an exellent martial artist and he had a huge gut to boot ;)

6. Jim

Jim New Member

Huge guts seem to be a common trait for Judo practicioners (myself not included). An oddity...

7. -=|§ØÛ£|=-

-=|§ØÛ£|=- New Member

Hey everyone. I am new to this site so if anyone could take me under their wing and explain to me some important stuff, I'd be very thankful. My brother and I are started Aikido soon, but I find that Judo is much more interesting (even though I won't be taking it). Can I ask what everyone's favorite technique is? And the attack called "Flying Scissors" is banned in tournaments. Why? That is my favorite technique because I like the way it is done and looks.

8. Jim

Jim New Member

Because it's bloody dangerous is why. It can cause some serious leg and knee damage and if you do it wrong you're in a really bad position.

Why do you need us to take you under our wings? Just be yourself, don't slander anyone and you'll be fine. Oh yeah, make sure you have a good sence of humour.

9. Mark

Mark New Member

I agree the flying scissors (Kani Basami) looks cool, but it's just too dangerous. My sensei tried it once before during sparring, he failed, and although he was able to regain his footing, he didn't get anywhere with the technique.

I would say my favorite technique is the shoulder wheel (Kata Guruma), or circle throw (Tamoe Nage), those are cool :cool: Oh, and how could I forget the ultra effective Uchi Mata!

Mark

10. -=|§ØÛ£|=-

-=|§ØÛ£|=- New Member

I think the Floating Technique looks like it would inflict a lot of pain.

11. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi -=|§ØÛ£|=- and welcome to MAP

So - "-=|§ØÛ£|=-" - just how do you pronounce that? LOL!

12. Jazman

Jazman New Member

it's pronounced soul :D

13. -=|§ØÛ£|=-

-=|§ØÛ£|=- New Member

Yeah, just using different signs and stuff with it.

14. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Ah - I see - so I hope you don't mind me calling you "Soul" then so I don't have to copy and past all that crap each time I reply to one of your posts LOL!

15. -=|§ØÛ£|=-

-=|§ØÛ£|=- New Member

Np. I don't really expect you to.

16. -=|§ØÛ£|=-

-=|§ØÛ£|=- New Member

Although I would perfer "God"…

17. Zen Master

Zen Master New Member

I used to do Judo, but moved to kick boxing, however now i find myself, much like Paul Phoenix from Tekken, melding the two into my fights!

18. Mark

Mark New Member

oooh tekken, Paul was my favorite character.

There is a Tae Kwon Do class at the complex where I take Judo, I'm gonna check out the class next tuesday. Mainly I want to learn how to block and parry, so I don't get the crap kicked out of me before I grab ahold of my oponent;)

Mark

19. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Instead of doing 2 seperate classes in kick boxing and grappling have you looked for one that combines the 2, a good JJ school perhaps?

Your missing out on a lot of bridging, trapping and atemi skills!

Col

20. Mark

Mark New Member

I would like to, but I can only afford to take classes at the recreation complex. Prices are only $25 to $35 for three months. The Judo class is small and I get along well with all of the members, I hope the same goes for the tae kwon do. My sensei doesn't make any money off the class, he does it because he enjoys teaching, I consider myself lucky.

Mark