First few lessons

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Rob_InDaUk, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Rob_InDaUk

Rob_InDaUk Grandmaster Sandwich

Hey MAPers, I just finished my second JJ lesson and was wondering, I feel quite overwhelmed by all the different techniques I've been shown. Did anyone else feel like this when they had their first few lessons..or is it just me??

It could just be me being paranoid, but I would like your feedback all the same

Rob

2. Rob_InDaUk

The wretched King Minos has decided your fate. His tale wraps around his body 7 times.
    The sweet light no longer strikes against your eyes. Your shade has been banished to... the Seventh Level of Hell!
    Seventh Level of Hell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guarded by the Minotaur, who snarls in fury, and encircled within the river Phlegethon, filled with boiling blood, is the Seventh Level of Hell. The violent, the assasins, the tyrants, and the war-mongers lament their pitiless mischiefs in the river, while centaurs armed with bows and arrows shoot those who try to escape their punishment. The stench here is overpowering. This level is also home to the wood of the suicides- stunted and gnarled trees with twisting branches and poisoned fruit. At the time of final judgement, their bodies will hang from their branches. In those branches the Harpies, foul birdlike creatures with human faces, make their nests. Beyond the wood is scorching sand where those who committed violence against God and nature are showered with flakes of fire that rain down against their naked bodies. Blasphemers and sodomites writhe in pain, their tongues more loosed to lamentation, and out of their eyes gushes forth their woe. Usurers, who followed neither nature nor art, also share company in the Seventh Level.

Purgatory Repenting Believers High
    Level 1 - Limbo Virtuous Non-Believers High
    Level 2 Lustful Moderate
    Level 3 Gluttonous Low
    Level 4 Prodigal and Avaricious Low
    Level 5 Wrathful and Gloomy Low
    Level 6 - The City of Dis Heretics Very Low
    Level 7 Violent High
    Level 8- the Malebolge Fraudulent, Malicious, Panderers Low
    Level 9 - Cocytus Treacherous Very Low

3. Rob_InDaUk

Oops wrong thread!!

Rob

4. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

I sort of felt that way.Even though i had been training in kung fu for several years, i just wasn't use to being taught that way.

5. Jim

Jim New Member

Second lesson? Don't worry Rob. It's kinda like the poo and blanket thing. The more you throw at it the more'll stick. You're not supposed to remember 'all' you're shown.

Did you get a requirements for next grading sheet?

6. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Totally Normal Feeling Robin,
    I recently started going to Ju Jitsu. Although I've done lots of Martial arts, I'm a newbie at JJ.

I find being a Beginner frustrating, especially having to relearn Breakfalls, because I haven't done them for ages and am now rubbish at them and no I can't remember the techniques either.

But give it time and I will and so will you.

7. Rob_InDaUk

No, haven't yet. My club is doing like a special summer school thing. Everyday it will be open from 8am to 10pm :D

Rob

8. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Smile, laugh, be happy!

Actually I was not overwhelmed when I started. I was more in awe. I thought it was so cool what the others (especially the master instructor) could do. I knew that if they could do it, so could I. I saw it as an open door.

9. Jim

Jim New Member

Are you intending to go 'long term' or just for the summer?

10. Rob_InDaUk

Long term :D I'm hooked, also i'm definately feeling the 'burn' LOL Pain is good right?? :p

Rob

11. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

is it tradititional or brazillian style??

12. Rob_InDaUk

Traditional

Rob

13. karatekid

karatekid MOOOOOOOOOOOO

i was like that tooo
    but hey you will get over it
    just belive in yerself
    karatekid

14. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Ju Jitsu & pain go together...............but it's terrific!:)

15. Jim

Jim New Member

A bit scary when you said 'Traditional or Brazilian...'. I thought I'd stumbled into some 'other' website. :D

16. Rob_InDaUk

LOL! Dirty mind you have there Jim..

Rob

17. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Nice way to explain it :D But true!

18. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

And which 'other' website would that be!? :p

19. kyokujitsu

kyokujitsu New Member

Couldn't have said it better myself , is it okay if i quote? :D

20. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

I was overwhelmed at first, too. Just thrown right in with the more advanced students, doing the same techniques they were (and lots of them); no beginner's class! It is starting to make sense now, however (about two months later). I'm even learning the Japanese names for everything, which I thought I'd never do. More than just individual techniques, I'm now starting to see the big picture. So, just keep it up; it will start to come together for you.