First Eskrima lesson!

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by EmptyHandGuy, Aug 20, 2008.

1. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

BPE

Hi GB,

BPE is Jimi McAvoys own system (the name is based on the fact his system stems from Latosa Serrada, which traces back to the Blind Princess of Samar stories). Rene Latosa taught Jay Dobrin, Jay taught Jimi, Jimi taught me. Simple as that.

Its a close range system (naturally being Serrada based) and most people in the NE, until about five years ago, would have trained with Jimi if they trained in the NE in Eskrima.

Capoeira is Jimi's main "public" art, although he still practices Escrima (its a modern system so "c" is used instead of K) and says that he is being asked more and more frequently to teach BPE again.

I do intend to get him back up next year to do another seminar for me.They are always superb, and his Panantukan one taught even experienced boxers a thing or two. I can safely say that within half an hour of the seminar beginning, everyone felt their boxing ahd improved.

Peter,

We can use any colour stick, they move so fast you won't know what colour they are...;-)

CW,

I don't agree with the grip idea. I find that the correct grip can only be suggested, its upto the individual to develop a grip that works for them. If they hold tight, the strikes are relatively slow due to the contracted forearm muscles. If they hold too loose they can be disarmed relatively easily. The grip is just something that has to be developed by the individual overtime.

I agree with your main points about striking though. Intent is very important.

BL

2. CatWise

CatWise Valued Member

"I don't agree with the grip idea. I find that the correct grip can only be suggested, it’s up to the individual to develop a grip that works for them. If they hold tight, the strikes are relatively slow due to the contracted forearm muscles. If they hold too loose they can be disarmed relatively easily. The grip is just something that has to be developed by the individual overtime."
    I have to respectfuly disagree with you on that. For one, I found that anyone that works with sticks usually has a good grip. If you do not have a good grip, you will hurt yourself as well as possibly someone else. There is a right way to hold the stick and that is with enough end for a good "punio" - sorry no idea how to spell it, but also your wrist needs to be with the stick at 90 degree angle. Here are some of the mistakes I have seen by having a weak hold on the stick. During the 6- count drill, on the last slice and check, I have often seen where the stick literally flew out of the new guy’s hand, because he wasn't holding it tight. During the hard block, if someone doesn't not hold it hard, and the other person strikes, I have seen new students hit themselves with their own stick. Not only that, but if you have a weak hold on the stick, it just plain looks sloppy. When I say, hold your stick tight, I am not talking about holding so hard that your hands gets white knuckles. I also don't see how this would slow anyone down. When you are learning, you are not going fast, so it’s a good time to develop a good grip, which later on will come in handy and your speed doesn't come from wrist anyway, but from your shoulder. My instructor has a STRONG grip, my friend that has practice Arnis for years also has a strong grip, and they are FAR from slow. My grip has also developed to be nice and strong, my speed also increases and at this point I no longer have to worry about how I hold my stick. So, my strikes are fast, but strong and the stick doesn’t fly out of my hand.

3. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Grips

Hi CW,

Ahh, I think your clarification as to what you meant by "hold your stick tight" has helped me to understand what you were saying to GB. Although if the grip is too tight, the forearm muscles will cause the strikes to be slower than if they grip was relaxed - not limp, but relaxed. Again the speed of the strike is relative. Overly tight grip = slower strike than with relaxed grip.

In my experience of the 6 count drill you describe, rather than a loss of the stick what I've seen a lot of is the novice not extending the 3rd or 6th strike, but pulling it under their arms in a very short arc, making it not a strike, but rather an attempt at getting the stick back under the arm as fast as possible!

Bill

4. CatWise

CatWise Valued Member

Hey Laban B,
    Glad we are on the same page. I don't think we are talking about the same 6 count drill. What I am referring to is a 3 strickes and 3 blockes drills, the strickes are #12, #1 and #8, on the block of #8, is when I have seen a novice slice and bring their hand back and without a good grip, the stick would litterly fly right out of their hand. There is also a smiliar drill, called broken 6, which is a close coaters drill.
    What I think the drill you are talking about the stick under arm is a sinawali drill, usually with 2 sticks?

5. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

6 count

Hi CW,

AHA! Yes I was referring to Heaven Six.

Bill

6. CatWise

CatWise Valued Member

Hi LB,

I thought so. Personally I love doing all of these drills. Especially, switching from one drill to another, its just so much fun! My instructor and I practiced late one night and we were just in the grove, if you know what I mean. We were going FAST and going from one drill to the next, smooth as silk! By the time we were done, we realised that we had quite an audiance outside the window watching us. That was a lot of fun. Unfortunantly in my Dojo we have a much stronger following of Hapkido then Arnis or Kali, so my Arnis classes are VERY small and that is just not as fun.

7. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Joining drills

Hi CW,

Mike Inay called joining drills "chaining". I taught a workshop a couple of years ago to a group of non FMAers. When I said we would be doing a 14 count drill, the colour drained from their faces :evil: I then broke the drill down into; 4 count; five count; six count; then chained them.

The group agreed that three drills into one was no where near as difficult as they first imagined. I think I left them with an appreciation of not just the FMA, but also the training methodolgy within them.

Bill

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  8. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

I totally agree! When we first did the 12 count I thought we are never going to get this straight away until the lad showing us broke it down into small chunks and then it was a lot easier. I know that when people are new to an art when someone comes along and says your going to do a 12 count or a 14 count drill it can and does seem daunting. But when its broken down into smaller bits then strung or chained together it makes it a lot easier :)

9. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Chained drills

Hi GB,

Wait 'til you see the 147.75 count drill!!!!

The .75 count is the bugger...;-)

Bill

10. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

:wow::jawdrop::wow: