First Eskrima lesson!

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by EmptyHandGuy, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I agree £100 is a lot of money in anyone's house hold (even mine). Many FMA practioners think nothing of paying £100 to see GM Inosanto as they know his reputation and know what they will see is value for money for the knowledge he is willing to pass on, now I am sure some people will say that he too is expensive and see no value in it at all.

Now GM Inosanto highley recommend's Sayoc Kali and he see's value in it to, the Sayoc's do have a reputation and have been around for some time now so for some £100 is a small price to pay for their knowledge and for others they deem it too expensive and see no value in what they have to show.

On the same note, some feel that by spending a couple of thousand pounds to travel to the Philippines to train with the Masters value for money whilst others have feel it is too expensive to train with the very same Masters who may have travelled 10,000 miles and are teaching for far less just a couple of hundred miles away, some people even have trouble paying £2.50 for a class just round the corner whilst others will travel miles and pay far more for the very same class.

As I said, if you see no value in it then yes it is expensive, but it it has value to you, how much is expensive?

Which is my whole point, just because someone charges more than the next guy does not mean he is any better or any worse and visa versa, but you would not expect to watch a 100 inch plasma screen if you are only willing to pay for a portable radio.

By insinuating that because someone charges less than another somehow makes them better is style bashing no matter which way you look at it as does insinuating that because they are more expensive means they are somehow better also. Get my point?

Now on another vent, when you do your next class why dont you tell us what you done and ask if others do it the same way, or do they do it differently and if so why? How does it compare? What is the reason you do it that way as opposed to this way? Etc etc.

Then not only will you have an intersting discussion on your hands that does not sound like and advert, you also get to compare notes and find out f others are doing it better or worse than you or simply differnt from you and acheiving the same results and you get to learn more about the FMA as a whole too.

Now that is a discussion worthy of any forum would'nt you agree?

Best regards

Pat

2. Pat OMalley

But also think on this too:
    £100 for an hour with Mr Average is a lot of money, but a 2 day seminar that is usually has 5 hours a day of instruction from a top class Master in the art of your choosing works out at about £10 per hour. So in effect that is 10 hours top instruction for the equivelant of a night out with the wife.

All relative really and I think personally if I had a chioce of training with a top class Master for 10 hours for £100 as opposed to having to pay out thousands to travel thousands of miles to see them I would say £100 is quite cheep really, would'nt you?

Best regards

Pat

3. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Hi GB UK

I have dropped in and out of this thread for a little while and think that it is great that you are enjoying learning the FMA.

I am a little puzzled and sort of understand the point that Pat has been making. Many of us know Bill Lowery, although not extremely well in my case, and I think that it would be fair to say that Bill is an easily approachable guy who is more than willing to support his students with time and effort. With this in mind, it does seem rather strange for a student to use an open forum to ask his instructor questions. While perfectly harmless, this could easily convey the portrayal that Bill a) is not supportive of his students, b) does not know very much, c) is only giving precisely what is paid for and nothing more. I am sure that none of these is the case, but in over 30 years of teaching, I have never heard of a student needing to ask basic questions of his instructor on an open forum.

Good luck in your training and I am sure that you will grow to really love the FMA.

Gumagalang

Peter

4. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

I agree that what you are saying about the value of learning from a top instructor, yes it would be good value but only if you can afford to pay for it in the first place. If I had the money I would jump at the chance to train with all the best instructors, but personally I don't at this time have that sort of money.

5. EmptyHandGuy

Ok, I think that I understand now what Pat was getting at :bang:
    Yes Bill is a very approachable guy and I am learning a lot in class, my problem is that I am trying hard to get all this new information in my head I often think of questions to ask at home after class. Since Bill posts on here I just thought it would be ok to ask him via MAP.
    As Pat has already pointed out maybe it would be best to PM Bill instead of posting it here.

6. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

GB, PL etc

Hi Peter,

Since Gornall (GB-UK) joined, the club has been doing very well as far as numbers are concerned (could be related ;-) ). He can ask me anything and has done, when I am within earshot, but as the class has now got a lot of new people in it, sometimes I may be dealing with a lot of people with a lot of different levels of experience (whether in MA generally or in FMA specifically) so sometimes I don't get to spend all of my time with one student - I'm sure you had the same experience at times within your club. I don't think he needs to ask questions here, I think he has chosen to use the forum to ask questions.

I once (on the Eskrima Digest) gave a definition of the term "Bahala Na", which I had been given. A Pinoy went down my throat as he was very offended. After some discussion, he apologised (as I had) and said that the term and its correct definition was very important to him and other Filipinos. He also said that I shouldn't let his initial reaction stop me asking questuions on a forum, as that is what they are for - an opportunity to learn.

GB,

Ask away - the only stupid question is the one one not asked. And don't let anyone dictate to you what you should be asking. If you veer into advertising, one of the moderators will deal with the situation. That is one of the actual mods, not a self appointed one!

Having said that, Pat is right about contacting me privately. I don't spend my life on web forums, and certainly not this one, so it could be days, if not the next class before you get a reply. Try text if the question is really urgent :)

>I agree that what you are saying about the value of learning from a top instructor, yes it would be good value but only if you can afford to pay for it in the first place. If I had the money I would jump at the chance to train with all the best instructors, but personally I don't at this time have that sort of money. <

And I think that sums up the whole point of my earlier comment. GM Guba is great value for money, IF you have the money free. If £100 is a serious drain on the family/house expenses, then it doesn't matter who the instructor is - they are too expensive.

Bill

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  7. Peter Lewis

Hi Bill

Yes, I knew that you would be approachable, which made it more strange that GB was asking very simple questions on this forum...unless he's trying to 'WHIP UP' some interest as your PR man! (Couldn't resist that one :) ) ... which is advertising I guess!

I think that if the intention of GB is to do a running commentary on his training, then maybe a dedicated Blog would be a better option.

Gumagalang

Peter

8. EmptyHandGuy

I will not be giving any more running commentaries!

9. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Whip puns

Hi Peter,

>'WHIP UP' some interest<

...you have been warned about those...;-)

> as your PR man!<

I think more a newbies enthusiasm for the arts, which we can all appreciate.

GB,

No more commentaries (;-) ) but keep asking when you need to.

Bill

10. Peter Lewis

Yo Whippy

Now you're 'CRACKING' me up. Sounds like 'STRIKE' action to me!!! Ha Ha Ha

11. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Grrrrr!

Yo Whippy

Now you're 'CRACKING' me up. Sounds like 'STRIKE' action to me!!! Ha Ha Ha <

I have a rope popper with your name on it, Lewis, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Bill

12. Peter Lewis

:woo::woo::woo:

13. EmptyHandGuy

Just a quicky Bill, whats Blind Princess eskrima? Is it similar to Doces Pares or completely different, did a google search but didn't come up with a lot!

14. Peter Lewis

Hi GB UK

Unsure about the actual Eskrima system...do they use 'White Sticks?' :rolleyes:

I know that several respected authors have dispelled the myth of the Blind Princess.

Gumagalang

Peter

15. Stuart Rider

Stuart Rider Valued Member

GB UK

There is a small section about Blind Princess Escrima on Bills website.

Cheers
    Stuart

16. Pat OMalley

I cant see it myself. :hat:

Stuff of myth and ledgend that has been debunked by many leading authorities in this feild.

Best regards

Pat

17. Peter Lewis

Ha Ha Ha Where did you Whip that one from? You're cracking me up!

18. EmptyHandGuy

I had a look but wanted a bit more info, did a search on Blind Princess eskrima and Jimi McAvoy who was the instructor who taught Bill but didn't come up with much. I did find Jimi's webpage but it only has info about capoeira which as far as I can tell is all that he teaches now.

19. CatWise

CatWise Valued Member

GB-UK, Glad you like practicing with eskrima. You will love it and it just gets more and more fun from here! Are you doing Arnis or Kali style? Personally, I have been practicing Arnis stick fighting for a few years now and I found that Arnis Stick fighting is better developed and more interesting then Kali, but Kali's knife technique is far superior to Arnis. I am fortunate to have an instructor that is well versed in both techniques so in our class we learn what seems to work better and since both styles are so similar it is fun to go between.
    My favorite things to practice is grouping, I’m sure that you have not gotten to that level yet, but it really is something to really look forward to. Another think that is REALLY neat about Eskrima is that you can apply what you learn there into other styles, you can use the same disarms that you just learn in open hand practices.
    One advice I will give you is make sure that you hold the stick tight, develop a good grip and make sure that every strike is a strike, meaning it comes all the way from the shoulder, and not just putting your stick out there. Learn how to check and always check. I hate watching some people go fast in exercise like tapi tapi, and their strikes are not strikes but look like they are chasing away a fly.
    I’m actually going to a seminar with Tuhon Ray Dionaldo in a couple of weeks. I am really looking forward to practicing with him.

20. Peter Lewis

Respectful regards to Tuhon Ray Dionaldo from the Bakbakan UK Chapter.

Gumagalang

Peter