First Eskrima lesson!

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by EmptyHandGuy, Aug 20, 2008.

1. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

My Site

Hi GB,

I'll check my site tomorrow, but I'll bring the DVds anyway.

Cheers

Bill

2. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

I'm pretty skint at the moment so will buy some DVD's next month when I'm back on full pay (bloody unison strike!). I will however be joining the club so will bring the membership fee along tuesday. You did say that that lesson was free aswell didn't you?

3. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Membership

Your second class is free, and your memebership isn't due for two weeks after Tuesday, so don't skint yourself at all!

Bill

4. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Sorted!

Hi GB,

I've moved service provider when we moved and had forgotten to change the urls! Sorted out now.

Bill

5. EmptyHandGuy

Well I've got the cash for membership now and as the pay I lost from the strike is due out of my next wage packet (this friday) I will be skint until the end of september :eek:
    I'm going to try and talk the missus into buying me some DVD's for my birthday anyway you won't be missing out too much :evil:

6. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

DVDs

Hi GB,

Remember the big puppy eyes, they always help...;-)

Bill

7. EmptyHandGuy

Another great lesson tonight!! Really enjoying it, though not looking forwards to the forms you were telling me about.
    Had a look through my membership card that you gave me tonight and was wondering what the A, B & C was for in each belt?

8. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

A,B,C

Hi GB,

I've broken each grading down into three modules (A,B,C), partly to help me develop a childrens syllabus, but also to make grading easier for adults.

As the grades progress, naturally, the material becomes more complex. So if you feel that a full grading would be too much, then you can elect to do a module or two. Whilst this means you will be learning less material (you will also take longer to get the full grade) the material you do perform will have to be of a much higher standard than in a full grading.

Bill

9. EmptyHandGuy

Thanks! That explains it. What age do you take children?

10. EmptyHandGuy

On another note was watching a film tonight called "The Hunted" and there was a scene where Tommy Lee Jones is teaching some army recruits and it looked more or less like the first six strikes that I was taught in my first lesson. I guess that eskrima was used in this film for the fight scenes.

11. EmptyHandGuy

Another great lesson the other night! Ritchie and I really liked the disarms and locks you showed us, not to keen on the pain but it gets the point across :cool:

With regards to the 2nd class, I may not be able to do a Thursday night after all. Friday would be good for me. Also we are both very interested in the seminar in Sayok knife and grappling. Will it be a Filipino grappling (if there is such a thing?) or more western based stuff?

12. mick shore

mick shore Valued Member

hi gb, it all depends on what the guys want to see on the seminar,it can be shoot-wrestling,catch,russian sombo,bjj ,silat,or filapino dumog or a little taster of each one -regards mick

13. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Hi GB UK,
    I am really please you have found an Eskrima class and you are enjoying the training, it is always good to see some one find the FMA and become hooked on it.

But no offence, next week are you going to be giving us a run down on class number 3, then 4, then 5, 6, 7, etc and continue asking about how the memberships/syllabus/dvd's/up and comming events and possible events in the club are run etc, I know you may be excited about your new training but this thread seems to be turning simply into an advert for Bill's classes and I do beleive advertising is not permitted.

Best regards

Pat

14. EmptyHandGuy

No, I was stating that I had enjoyed the class and wanted to ask about the seminar. Simple as that. As for asking about memberships/syllabus/dvd's/up and comming events and possible events I don't see what the problem is in asking about such stuff on a open forum such as MAP. There is limited time in class so it's a lot easier for me to get more detailed info here, ask questions about the syllabus etc. I don't understand why you would have a problem with that? If I was attending one of your classes I would be posting the same sorts of questions and asking about events that you may have mentioned in class.

15. Pat OMalley

And I would say, ask me during or after the next class. As for things such as Seminars and the like, there is an event page for that sort of thing too.​

I dont have a problem with anyone asking questions at all regarding training, technques, styles, methods, principles, veiws, opinions etc etc. But no offence intended, and I may be wrong but this thread just seems to have drifted in to an advertisement which I do beleive is against the Forum rules and before it was actually split it also seem to drift into a bit of style bashing too and was beginning to sound like a my style is better than your style advert because we charge less.​

Like you I am allowed my opinion but I would much prefer to discuss subjects such as training, technques, styles, methods, principles, veiws, opinions etc etc. And not a simple two way conversation between student and instructor of what might be happening in next weeks class and any future events they may be hosting, that to me sounds more like a promo for the class as opposed to a serious discussion about the FMA, regardless of style.​

Just my thoughts on an open forum.​

Best regards​

Pat​

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  16. Pat OMalley

Also if you wanted to ask questions from your instructor that are relavent to the class, eg, what are we doing next week, how much is membership, how is your syllabus structure, will this event be happening, what will we be doing, how much can it cost, I may miss next weeks class because I am skint and you feel you dont have time during or after the class. There is something called a PM, or Phone.

Sorry but 90% of the questions you have asked just seem to look more like an advert for one person classes.

Now if you explained to us what you did like doing and asked people on here how it compared to what they did then you would have a much wider more informative discussion on your hands. You can compare notes on the differences and similarities of each group or individual and find out why they do it the way they do it.

Much like when it was mentioned (before the thread split) of how some thought some of the Sayoc material was overlly complicated, you can find out why people feel that and why others see the relavence in it.

Now that is a discussion if you get my drift.

best regards

Pat

17. EmptyHandGuy

I do think you seem to have got a bee in your bonnet about nothing. Like I said, I was asking questions and asking for info, that is all. If you don't like it then don't read or respond to my posts.
    As for the syle bashing, I've not bashed any other style. I did ask what style was in a movie I had seen which led to the Sayoc discussion, I know nothing about it other than what I've read on map and the web. I am looking forwards to seeing what it's all about when and if the seminar (that I was asking about) happens. Until then I will reserve judgment and make up my own mind.

18. EmptyHandGuy

I've done a little judo in the past and enjoyed the newaza a lot, so a taster of each sounds like a good idea.

19. Pat OMalley

Fortunelty I dont have a bee in any bonnet, I tend to let the others wear bonnet's. I said if you read my post that it looked to me like a advert for one person class as opposed to a discussion. ​

As for the style bashing, I did not say 'you' personaly style bashed, what I actually said was "before it was actually split it also seem to drift into a bit of style bashing too", where people where stating that Sayoc was too expensive, which in the context of the original thread was starting to sound more like 'we must be better because we dont charge as much as they do etc etc'. ​

Now if you read the other thread that has been split from this one then you will see I said: "Expensive compared to what?" And just because people charge less or more, this does not make them any better or worse than the next style/system.​

Maybe I did not make myself clear on that one but hopefully now you can understand why I have the opinion I do. No bee's, no bonnet's. ​

But I did read it and I did respond which is my right to do so, and I was responding to the thread in general, not just your posts. Not my fault if you dont like the response, if you dont like other peoples points of veiw on a subject and how they see it progressing then maybe a forum is the wrong place to be asking questions. Dont you think?​

Best regards​

Pat​

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  20. EmptyHandGuy

I have no problem with your responces, but you seem to have a problem with my posts. I will continue to ask questions about what I am learning both in class and on here in MAP, if you want to take that as some kind of stealth advertising then thats your perogative.
    With regards to your comment "Expensive compared to what?", in my household a £100 is still a lot, I would have to have a very good reason to invest that ammount of money. That may not be the case for you, but I think that most people would think a lot before investing that ammount into a seminar about something that they known very little about and which may or may not hold anything of use to their existing training.