First Capoeira Experience

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by rabid_wombat, Dec 2, 2014.

1. rabid_wombat

rabid_wombat Valued Member

A gym near me is hosting a workshop that I am going to attend, the intent is for it to be an introduction for anyone who goes, and I'm hoping to be able to carry away something valuable and make a few friends. It is my first live exposure to the art, so I wanted to ask if there is anything that would be helpful for me to be aware of going into it?

I am fully prepared to feel awkward and weird, and probably look ridiculous...but I intend to have a blast.

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

You need to be aware of the fact that capoeira is awesome fun and the music is like those summer pop hits...annoying and repetitive but highly addictive.

Seriously, don't think too much, just go and enjoy yourself.

3. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Just what Bozza has said. I'm not sure I could add much else, not knowing what will be covered.

On second thought, two tips may help if you can remember them: when doing ginga, the arm goes up in front (guard position) that is on the same side as the foot that is stepping back. Almost no one gets it right initially, so don't worry if you don't either. Secondly, when doing au (cartwheel), or any inverted movement, look directly in front of you, not at the ground like gymnasts.

In short, like the first image, not the second.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. rabid_wombat

The workshop was great, thanks for the advice guys. I expected a great workout and a lot of fun, which was exactly what transpired. I don't think anything I've ever done prior has hit as many muscle groups at once as this.

5. Bozza Bostik

It's a surprisingly good work out. It reminds me of things like yoga and pilates...people sneer at it and then die a bit during the training :) Glad you enjoyed it. Are you going to look into capoeira again?

What style of capoeira was it? Angola? contemporânea? Any idea of the school/group?

6. rabid_wombat

Cordao De Ouro is the affiliation/organization I believe. I think I am Portuguese deaf, so I could be mistaken, but I remember he said it meant 'golden cord' or something like that. He touched on Angola and contemporânea when talking a little about the development of capoeira in general, but honestly the specific detail was lost on me. (Something for me to ask about)

It's a little far for me to drive to their actual school, but the club that hosted the workshop said they'd like to have a regular workshop thing with them, and hope to have another in the spring.

With that said, my intent was more to look at the conditioning exercises, etc. but I will make every effort to attend something like this whenever they have one. I had an absolute blast.

Someone from the same place I go for BJJ went with me, so at least we have a pair to practice what we managed to take away from it in the meantime.

7. Bozza Bostik

Thanks!

I am with CDO myself...actually I think CDO is the most represented style on MAP. I've done abit of senzala, they're pretty much the same, but I do prefer CDO.

Hopefully you can make the next workshop.

Edit: glad you enjoyed it though, it's a beautiful art and sadly ignored when people think of or discuss martial arts.