First aid

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by bassai, Sep 7, 2011.

1. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

So i'm just retaking my first aid at work qualifications , that combined with one of the lads getting his nose broken in sparring at the club last week got me wondering how many Mappers take an active interest in first aid ?
    I would hope that anybody who teaches has a recognised first aid qualification , but do other people ?
    I feel a knowledge of first aid is part of self defence and especially important for parents.

2. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

We had to learn a bit of wound care and what not in the Army but I have to admit, short of treating a sucking chest wound my skills are minimal.

3. bassai

I suspect this may be a common theme Mikey.
    A question for the UK Mappers , do you know the difference between dialling 999 and 112 from your mobile ?

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I did do a one-day first aid training before taking an internship at the local detox. My certification isn't current though. And I'd want to take more of them. Both as a teacher and (more importantly) as a parent to two young kids. I couldn't agree with you more.

5. bassai

To follow Aps point about parents learning first aid we were shown this video today (It is a little upsetting to watch as a parent but i'm sure within the TOS)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiJjkNN3z5M"]Girl chokes on popcorn in St John Ambulance film - YouTube[/ame]

I don't think i could put into words how important such a simple skill is .

6. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I've just re-qualified with St. John Ambulance and I was previously the sole first aider at work.

I jumped at the chance to do the course originally after witnessing a family member collapse in front of me. Other than call the emergency services I could do nothing but stand there wishing the ambulance would hurry up!

My skills will be negligible next to a paramedic, of course they will be, but being potentially able to make a difference is without doubt important, not only in the workplace but also in your school.

Only last week I had to deal with bust lips and noses. Ok, it wasn't CPR, but I was glad to have known exactly what the do and be of help.

Now, does anyone know if it's a legal requirement for an MA school to have a first aider?

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Something I wanted to do but never got round to. Realised when I hurt my ankle however that my gym is completely useless when it comes to injuries so its something I'm going to get done.

Interesting point about it being useful for self defence though I hadn't thought of that before. Would it be insult to injury if you shattered someone's arm and then splinted it for them?

edit: Something I was wondering about St john's courses though is are they checked by some sort of government body? I always thought it was a a nice volunteer charity thing but no idea if there's some form of quality control going on?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  8. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I remember reading an article in "Inside Kung Fu" years ago where the interviewee (can't remember her name but she was fit) recalled a story where someone attacked her for some reason so she dropped him with a knee.

Now rather than kick him in the face and leaving him for dead, she made sure he was ok by administering first aid, apparently "true to the martial arts"...

9. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I'm a First Aid at Work Trainer and Assessor and I assess people doing their FAW Trainer and Assessor qualifications. I rarely teach FAW myself, I usually just teach Youth First Aid and Heartstart, and run casualty simulations.

10. bassai

This is pretty much how i feel

It depends on the governing body , i know ours (FEKO) does require any instructor to hold a valid first aid certificate.

11. Atre

Atre Valued Member

Qualifications are valid if approved by the HSE in the UK, namely the following http://www.hse.gov.uk/firstaid/approved-training.htm

I've looked into courses, but I've found it very difficult to find out what exactly they're teaching that takes several days or why I should pay so much... Be interested to hear from other members :)

It's all common sense*, wish I'd done a CCF first aid course - now they are good.

*blood needs to stay in, air needs to go in & out, don't move if nerves or bones are broken

12. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I think that one first aid course that might be useful for MA instructors is the STA's rugby first aid course. Doing a re-cert (been doing these on and off since I was 14 :' S) and it's all about concussion evaluation, managing minor injuries , deciding if a person needs to be seen by a more trained professional etc...

Course runs for ~£65 here in the UK for a one day course.

FWIW

LFD

13. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

I learned some first aid when i was a brownie, a girl guide, and a royal canadian army cadet.

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I hold a current certificate and requalify as a requirement of my job.

I also keep a phone nearby to get ambulances to the door "toot-sweet"

15. righty

righty Valued Member

Basic first aid qualifications is required for my job. But I also hold a specific sports first aid cert and training cert because I was interested. So

Over here to you need to have first aid training to be recognised in the nationally accredited coaching scheme. Most clubs will also require instructors to be certified. Also insurance for events will often require you to have a certain number of first aiders around and of different levels depending on the event and number of expected people.

Grr thanks to Hannibal I now have that annoying song from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in my head.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  16. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Sorry missed this. If you call 112 your location will automatically be identified, a 999 call can only do that if you are on a landline.

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Well I had no idea.
    I did a basic course back when I was a supervisor in halls or residence at Uni but not kept it up.
    Looked into child first aid as a new parent but again that knowledge has probably slipped a bit.
    How often do you need to take a course to be considered "up to date"?

18. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Now that is worth knowing

19. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

As a healthcare professional I have mixed feelings about this. Having done CPR in the community with first aiders, I'd say that while they actually had good technical skills, they lacked the adequate assessment skills to identify when to use them, and needed leadership, which makes me wonder how it would have gone if I'd not been there.
    Beyond basic life support and recovery position (although again there are issues surrounding that), which TBH you're highly unlikely to ever need in this context, everything else is just common sense really.

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The problem with common sense is that it's, seemingly, not very common. :)