Fire Joe Rogan?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by greg1075, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Also note my view is clear in my opening post...I find the comedy area very "grey" - humor can be cathartic, insightful or hateful and it is often very hard to draw a clear line

When it is a protracted campaign against one person it goes past being "comedy" and instead becomes "bullying"

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

No because it would still be transphobic. Fallon Fox and Cris Cyborg are not equatable here.

Joe Rogan was acting in his capacity as a comedian. He wears multiple hats. If he'd made that joke during commentary, then I suspect he'd be slapped down for it (the sponsors wouldn't have liked it), but this was his own podcast.

3. holyheadjch

So are the late night shows bullying Donald Trump by constantly mocking him? No, because he is inviting the attention and the scrutiny by running for president, just as Cyborg invited the scrutiny by constantly seeking press attention (which as an athlete with sponsors, she is entirely entitled to do). If she wants the scrutiny to stop, she just needs to put her head behind the parapet.

4. Hannibal

So if she sits down and is quiet like a good girl the nasty men will go away?

Interesting anti-bully strategy you are advocating....capitulate and they stop

5. holyheadjch

Nice strawman, you build it yourself?

Make yourself a public figure and you will get the extra attention you seek and not all of it will be positive.

6. Hannibal

You built it - quite categorically. Furthermore you just reinforced it with the tired "oh if you don't want attention don't become famous" excuse for reprehensible conduct

What's doubly ironic is I don't even like Cyborg

7. holyheadjch

If you don't want people to joke about you for cheating, don't cheat.

If this was Rogan making jokes about her being a female fighter, I'd be right there with you, but it isn't. He's making jokes about her being a steroid cheat.

8. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Serena Williams is famous and looks manly too. Chris Evert should cue the pecker jokes too, then I suppose.

9. Hannibal

The same Joe Rogan who praises Josh Barnett?
    The same Joe Rogan who uses steroids himself?
    The same Joe Rogan who gives a pass to Vitor despite the fact he is clearly still juicing and just "hasn't been caught again" and dreams of matches with "TRT Vitor" against others?
    The same Joe Rogan who is friends with countless steroid cheats in the industry?

This is not about cheating or fame, because there are MUCH bigger targets. This is a protracted campaign against Cyborg and why? Because she is a woman and not as aesthetically pleasing as some

Psychologists define bullying as physical or verbal abuse that is repeated over time and demonstrates a power imbalance. It’s about one person with more social status lording it over another person, over and over again, to make them miserable - and that is exactly what we have here

10. holyheadjch

You can't say it's just because she's a woman. That's a cop out. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that Cyborg is constantly calling out the UFC and Dana White. It also probably has a lot to do with the fact that she is one of the most high profile MMA fighters who isn't under contract with the UFC.

And Rogan is probably on friendly terms with Barnett and Vitor, since he has worked with them for years. And his own use is neither here nor there since he isn't a pro athlete.

So was Jon Stewart bullying Trump?

11. Hannibal

Trump has more power than Stewart ever will on the one hand. He also is called out for his ideas and statements - which are stupid, bigoted and myopic - rather than his appearance.

Now granted his wig does get referenced every few wisecracks, but he provides more than enough material on his own. That is the difference between "ad hominem" and "ad rem"

And it is exactly because she is a woman

12. holyheadjch

And Cyborg gets called out for her actions. Has she not taken steroids, then her appearance wouldn't be an issue. Correira aint a cover model, but I don't remember Rogan ever going there with her.

We're not going to agree here and that's ok.

13. Hannibal

And HH apparently has an..."extension"...so will be interesting to see how that develops

The fact Beth was not targetted for being less than attractive suggests even MORE that this is a personal bullying campaign surely?

Oh absolutely it is OK - MAP is as much about the debate itself rather than the resolution of a topic.

14. holyheadjch

Oh I believe that Rogan doesn't like Cyborg, absolutely. Probably because she constantly rises to his comments with some of her own (she made some thinly veiled threats against Hinchcliffe this time).

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

16. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I am sick of Rogan for other reasons. He often picks a favorite and is blatantly biased in how he calls a fight based on that. I either noticed more over the years or he has gotten worse.

I used to like his play calling, but it is so biased it is just terrible and often inaccurate based on his bias.

17. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award