Finding a good school

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Seager, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Seager

Seager New Member

Hello all, i'm looking for a good Tae Kwon Do School in Cambridgeshire, if anyone has any recommendations or any information on any schools or instructors i should train with, please let me know.

Ideally i want to be able to compete :)!

2. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Cambridge the university, or Cambridge the town, cause the town has a nice little ITF group apparently, there are probably more, but if i had to learn a form of taekwondo, i'd probably go with ITF over WTF, but as i have never done taekwondo, please take that opinion with as much salt as necessary.

http://www.cambs-tkd.co.uk/

Here is the website for the club, if you are indeed interested, don't know the reputation, but the best bet is to check it out for yourself.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  3. Seager

Seager New Member

Well at the moment i do Tang Soo Do which is also a traditional korean martial art, i heard that WTF Tae Kwon do was more sporty and the fitness is alot better than the ITF? i could be completely wrong that's only what i have heard, cambridge the town :)

4. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

ITF as far as my understanding goes, is a little more realistically minded, as WTF taekwondo is geared to competition, but the rules used wouldn't exactly translate into practical real world skill as easily, granted, i have studied neither, so i can't really speak as an authority.

5. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

IMO if you are looking for fitness, cardio, strength etc. Join a gym , put on your running shoes, ride a Bike etc. If you want an MA and Fitness supplement the MA with seperate Fitness workouts. Cardio requires minimum 20 minutes sustained exertion 3 times a week and Weight Training similar time for improvement. Thats 40-60 minutes 3X a week when you could be learning and practicing MA techniques ath the school as opposed to spending $ and time there for conditioning and strength training you could do anywhere.

6. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Depends what you think a good school is and under what format you would like to compete.

ITF, TAGB, WTF etc... whatever the acronym they all have natural variance in quality and purpose. Personally although I think the WTF ruleset/comp format is laughable they tend to produce good athletes with great flexibility and dexterity so don't rule it out. Maybe karate or kickboxing would better serve your needs depending on what you are looking for?

Good TKD clubs by my own standards are rarer than rocking horse dung. A quick googling of Cambridge TKD turns up nothing I'd consider good training.

7. Seager

Seager New Member

I wanted to find a wtf tae kwon do school, to compete basically. I searched on Google and didn't find much either. Well I study tang soo do at the moment which is great. Good self defence and a great system. I was just looking for something extra to get into more competitions etc.

What do you guys think of this?http://www.taekwondotigers.co.uk/index.html

8. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Not so much info to go on on that website.

I think if you want to do WTF to compete in that format then just check out any schools that teach that style of TKD and see how you like: the instructor, the atmosphere, the class times and find out if they send people to compete regularly and what the club's track record is competition wise.

9. larry_d

larry_d New Member

You could just pick up a copy of MAI (or whatever the kids are reading today) and attend a few open tournaments as a spectator, then apply the various competition rules to your TSD and just start competing? Heck you could be the next Tom Wynne

10. Seager

Seager New Member

Oh so I could compete at open tournaments using my tsd? I'm guessing I couldn't compete in a wtf competition without training in tkd

11. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I'm pretty sure it depends on the tournament, for instance but i do know of at least one person who transitioned into a national olympic taekwondo team from a kickboxing background, unfortunately their name escapes me, another example of the same principle, albeit not relevant to Korean martial arts, would be Sakmongkol Sithchuchok, a highly decorated nak muay who has taken to competing in kyokushin karate in his twilight years, with a remarkable level of success.

12. Seager

Seager New Member

Wow that's amazing, unfortunately I'm 23 so I couldn't see anything like that happening haha

13. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Ron Lyle didn't turn pro until he was 30, he nearly beat Muhammed Ali when he was 35.

14. martinnharvey

martinnharvey Valued Member

15. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Yeah I walk, rebound, use a chest expander and 5kg dumbbells, not much money spent there I'm currently between arts, but can train some of what I've learnt at home so you Give good advice