Finally

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Gray, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Gray

Gray New Member

I finally had my first Muay Thai session today for about two hours. And it was freaking great. Multiple bruises on my shins, sore nose... and I can't wait till next week. Seriously, it took me MONTHS to find a Muay Thai gym (the guys there even asked how in the world I found them) but everybody there was really cool, teaching me the basics. I sparred with 'em all, which was really awesome.

Oh... and my past Taekwondo experience came in REALLY handy. They liked my kicks and flexibility. Just gotta work on the hands! Anyway, that's all I wanted to say. PEACE.

2. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

:D Nice! It only gets better.

3. IrishStomp

IrishStomp Valued Member

You sparred on your first day?

4. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

Yeah i was thinking that too... man i didn't spar till like 5 or 6 months in, kinda wierd though, letting a new guy spar

5. Gray

Gray New Member

Yeah. I know it's pretty uncommon, but hey, I wasn't complaining.

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Not really that uncommon. It all depends on the gym, your prior training and if you game.

Many places will allow you to spar or roll on the first day - if you've had prior training it's a way they can see where your at in terms of tech., gameness etc.

Besides... with big ass 160z. gloves on about the best you can do is powder each others noses. :D

7. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

i sparred with 'el sensei' first lesson and then basically every lesson since! its not always heavy but we usually do some.

anyways good on you gray, keep is up!

8. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

Re: Sparring

Just so there is another side here, I've been training for about 5 or 6 months, and still have yet to spar. We've done very light work back and forth, but not sparring. People in my gym don't typically spar for a year or so. This sounds like a long time, but I actually think it is a good way to do things.

Good work Grey! :D

9. elnan

elnan Valued Member

I sparred on my first day too, just light so the instructor could see what we knew. I did TKD before.
    We usually sparr 45-60 min each time, but as I said. Were not killing each other eighter. I think its cool, cause I suck at it :p

EDIT: We use 12oz gloves
    EDIT #2: A guy visiting us from another MT gym told us they used to go fullcontact at the end of each practice without anything to prevent damage to the legs. Cant imagine thats common?
    My instructor told him we didnt to prevent injury etc.
    He had been training 1 year, but got the feeling that he had done this for some while.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  10. Ryukyu Damashi

Ryukyu Damashi New Member

I sparred my first day, Yukiharu Shinyashiki broke my nose.

11. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

You sparred on your first day?

Best way to do it if you ask me. So long as it's sparring against someone with some restraint.

12. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

Sparring early and often is the best way to get it done. Seriously, if you spar lightly while learning the fundamentals you will have a great game. When I train some of my friends so they can spar with me, I start them sparring after two or three sessions of the pads and bag. That way they dont get bad habits early on.

The key to early sparring is that the instructor always needs to tell you what you're doing wrong and what you're doing right, so you can correct yourself in practice and for the next sparring match. Because, the thing about fighting is that it's individual to each person.

For instance, I was at a boxing gym and this kid had the fastest hands I had ever seen but he always would only use really controlled punches, like straights and short hooks. His coach said, "Loosen up, you can afford to put some arc into your punches." So the kid the next couple of sessions started throwing some wider hooks, some looping rights (if you've seen Mighty Mo fight in K-1 you'll get the idea, just faster and less devestating). He was so fast that his opponents had difficulty capitalizing on his loosening up and his increase in newfound versatility and greater power absolutely caused his strength as a boxer to increase exponentially.