Finally got my Shinkendo diploma!

Discussion in 'Celebrations!' started by matveimediaarts, Sep 4, 2015.

1. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

My diploma arrived at last this summer. Yesterday was my first day back in the dojo, and I was presented a handsome diploma signed by Obata sensei. Ichimonji in the art of Shinkendo. YAY! :D

2. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

Congrats. That's awesome.

I'm not familiar with the term "Ichimonji". Is it like Shodan?
    I've googled to no avail.

3. matveimediaarts

Shinkendo ranks are kind of eccentric. :) One begins with no rank. (We wear hakama and resemble aikidoka (except with a katana saya in the left side of the obi, of course...and some use a short sword on the right at Shodan and higher), so you wouldn't notice a colored belt anyway) The first belt level possible is Ichimonji. Then comes Santen, etc.

4. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

You wear the wakizashi on the right? That seems a bit peculiar.

5. matveimediaarts

Now that you mention it,I believe you're right. I've only seen it demonstrated once. I was quite amazed at how sensei David was able to draw both at once. :eek: I hope to figure that out sometime before I make it to 1st dan(or whatever they call it. IDR the fancy name the Shinkendo people use instead of black belt. :/). I just know that iaidoka and other Japanese swordsmen wear the saya on the left.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  6. matveimediaarts

So far, 1 hour of ballet, work with the speed bag, and kata with my new bo. Still getting used to swinging/holding a significantly heavier weapon. :O

7. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Congrats!

8. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Congratulations! :)

9. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

I like the feel of a meaty weapon. I started off with a 30mm hardwood bo. I wouldn't want to hit someone with it, but it's lovely to swing around.