Finally earned my purple belt last night

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Saved_in_Blood, Jan 30, 2014.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Congrats!

What is the belt progresson at your school/ in your style? D belts run the same in all Combat Hapkido schools or does it vary between differing schools?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  2. klaasb

klaasb ....

Come to our school where purple follows blue ;-)

Congratulations!

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Congratulations! :)

4. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I think I recall Thomas going through his list at his place and it being a bit different than ours. Honestly I can't say for sure, but I believe it goes as such.

yellow
    orange
    green
    purple
    blue
    forgot this one lol
    brown
    red
    black with white stripe
    black

I'm pretty sure this is it. I only focus really on the one ahead, so it'll be a while getting up to those last 4. Like I said, there's a lot of moves with the blue belt, but many of movements are similar, so that will help a bit. I had decided that I want to take however long it will take for me to get the moves perfected, and then take another 2 weeks to make sure I don't feel like I'm jumping up just for the sake of a rank. That hurts me a lot more than anyone else.

5. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

If I recall correctly, the 'official' progression goes
    white
    yellow
    orange
    green
    purple
    blue
    brown
    red
    red/black
    black/white
    1st dan

That order goes along with the curriculum videos but schools have quite a bit of leeway in colors/belts/etc.

As a school, we run that progression through brown belt and then add a black tip (electrical tape) for each of the next three. So at 1st geup (black/white belt/candidate for 1st dan) our students wear a brown belt with three tips.

6. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Yeah, you're correct there Thomas, thanks for the correction. I got the red and brown mixed up I guess. I was out of class for a few months after my son was born, so I didn't see how one of the other guys progressed past his blue belt. I just came back and he was wearing brown lol.

7. rudai123

rudai123 New Member

Our school is:
    White
    Yellow
    Orange
    Green
    Blue
    Purple
    Brown
    Red
    Red/Black