Filipino Silat

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by j8mes, Sep 27, 2007.

1. j8mes

j8mes New Member

Can anyone name a Silat system (or other martial tradition) from the Southern part of the Philippines? As most of us have come to realize, Cebu is where the Eskrima tradtions took root (Please argue this point elsewhere - my original question is the point of this thread).

Now the Southern Philippines share more cultural similarities to Malaysia and Indonesia than to Cebu, specifically religion. And we pretty much know there's no Eskrima to speak of in the south, but what of other Martial traditions? Have any propagated?

I think that Silat may have influenced some Eskrima, but Silat is not FMA.

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

do you mean like in general tribal terms such as tausug silat? or just plain general terms like kuntao silat?

3. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

From my understanding most of the silat styles in the southern Philippines don't have formal names. They're just generically known as silat or kuntaw, and just happend to be what the local salip is teaching. It could also be by region or family group. A couple of Tausug styles that you may have heard of are Lanswang and Galak Sepring.

4. j8mes

j8mes New Member

So have any specific styles of Silat / kuntaw with Southern Philppines origins propagated to the US? Since most of these styles are not formalized, I'm assuming they have not.

Along the same lines, how much do you think Silat influenced Cebuano Eskrima? They would be (historically speaking) fighting AGAINST silat players, so are there any specific strategies / techniques that an eskrimador would use to counter silat? We may not recognize these now, but they are there somewhere.

I think the first thing to do would be to define some commonalties in the silat from the Southern Philippines, whether that be an overall strategy or common technique, and move from there.

Any ideas?

5. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Get a large stick or sword and bash the hell out of them:)

I am sure there are some influences, after all if you fight someone who has different statagies, you have to adjust and this influences what you do.

But still I can see no real similarities of the two apart from some of the empty hands and the flowing movements, but then again I can see similarities in amny different MA's, but FMA e.g. Eskrima Arnis Kali are quite unique compared to other South East Asian Martial Arts.

best regards

Pat

6. shootodog

by the way, filipino silat (i.e. sultanate silats) are filipino martial arts. so is filipino kuntao silat.

7. j8mes

j8mes New Member

Yes, of course they are. I should have said, more specifically, eskrima is not silat.

8. shootodog

..but filipino silat is fma.

9. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

This is becoming a political debate outside of martial arts. Many of Muslims in the southern Philippines do not consider themselves Filipino. Hence, they don't consider what they do fma. Unfortunate.

10. shootodog

i guess

11. j8mes

j8mes New Member

And it also has historic precedence. The southern part of the Philippines was not even considered part of the Philippines until the 20th century according to some historians.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  12. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Found some here! It's certainly silat and from Mindanao.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EArX5HOO6u8"]Doce Pares Norway with PANSAK SILAT - YouTube[/ame]

I'm presuming 'aslie' is the same as Indonesian 'asli' meaning original or authentic.

Mind you, the ground kicking from the 'kucing' ground stuff is exactly the same as ours.

13. shootodog

northern mindanao has been colonised by the spanish. the settlements of cagayan de oro and zambuanga were spanish settlements.

sure they're seperatists but the spanish and americans did maintain footholds and garrisons.

14. SundaWarrior

SundaWarrior Valued Member

Good luck with that :)

15. Pat OMalley

;) :D

16. Gajah Silat

C'mon guys, isn't this an ideal opportunity for a 'Silat vs FMA' thread ;)

Y'know, you get your sticks out & I'll be reaching for my golok. You pull out the golok, we'll be gettin' out the 'ol kampilan......

We could have the mother of all 'versus' threads but with more weapons than anyone else could imagine:p

17. SundaWarrior

Indeed Gajah, things could get real nasty, especially if they pull out a Kampilan.

Salam,
    Nicholas

18. Gajah Silat

Selamat mas Nick,

Well you got to be careful with the FMA lot....they carry concealed weapons :eek: ....just like us :Angel:

And of course, MAP just wouldn't be MAP without all those meaningful 'versus' threads. So, let's do it permanently, with lots of sharp things :rolleyes:

Apologies for lowering the tone of the FMA forum :)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  19. Pat OMalley

Yeah but our concealed weapons are bigger than yours:p

Best regards

Pat

20. SundaWarrior

Yes indeed Mas Pat but you aren't likely to see our's coming until it is too late. :D

Selamat Gajah, Gaimana Mas?

Hormat,
    Nicholas