Filipino Culture

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Pat OMalley, May 4, 2005.

1. Spunjer

Spunjer Valued Member

that'd be something like:"ah, that's good enuff..."

2. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

yup you got it "pwede na yan" simply means that's good enough.....that sounds about right.....

3. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

"pwede na yan" literally means "that's enough", or "that will do." It has to do with the mentality of doing the minimum possible in any task. The reason why Filipinos prefer imported goods is because of the often shoddy workmanship of our local produce. They will prefer a car engine made in Japan over the exact same car engine, made with the same components and technology made in the Philippines because they perceive the Japanese to be more conscientious and hard working. When I first moved here, I dismissed this a colonial thinking and spent my money on locally made products. Four years later? Let's just say I've changed my mind and am looking more seriously at foreign made products.

4. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

To clarify, any engine made localy are done so under the supervision of the vehicle manufacturer (Toyota, Honda, etc.) hence folllowing strict quality control standards. The ones you may be refering to are those used in the localy assembled jeepneys which are imported surplus from other countries. These engines may or may not have passed their useful lives, so quality is usually a issue.

You can get players that can read dvd/vcd/mpeg/mp3/jpeg here for under 2000 pesos (approx. 35 USD) and can last 4 years with no noticable errors. In the end, it really depends on what you are buying.

5. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

Actually these are the ones I was talking about. And to clarify, I was just talking about the perceptions given to me by Filipinos not any objective reality about quality. I was told to go with a certain manufacturer because it was made in Japan (by Japanese) and not a locally assembled Japanese brandname.

Agreed. In fact, the "Orange" that my buddy bought in Greenhills for 1800 pesos has outperformed my Philips that I bought for 3 times the price.

Getting back to fma, for every strict, perfectionist taskmaster that you may come across in fma, there are many times than number who will settle for what their student does. Culturally, I just don't think we're as obsessive compulsive about attaining perfection as the Japanese.

6. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

as long as its cheap and is working, it's a buy!!! :)

7. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Which goes to show that some people think they know but they don't. Toyota actually has a manufacturing facility down in Laguna.

Aayyy! Thank the Lord! When I watched a documentary on National Geographic about Martial Arts I couldn't believe the pretentions of these Japnese Masters (who probably won't survive when somebody goes at them with a knife). You get to learn more etiquette than martial arts. I don't mean to bash another culture but I think the elaborate protocols in their dojos are so....cheche bureche :)

8. Estel Authorion

Estel Authorion Regrets my stupid posts

Cheche-bureche

I REALLY hate to admit it, but I agree!

'Nuff said!:D

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  9. MoroWho?

MoroWho? New Member

The answer for most Filipinos is b. We don't like being stared at. I have been in the west for a long time now and i still do not like being stared at! However, we Filipinos are an understanding lot.

10. JohnLi

JohnLi New Member

Man, this is sad, I'm of filipino decent and I'm learning a lot from this thread. No wonder my gf (filipino born) calls me "white-washed". I'll join in on this priorities stuff.

Now let's see where our priorities are with this little question.

PRIORITIES:

When working with Filipinos it is important to consider their own concept of priorities, that which they deem important as against what a foreigner values. In the following list of values and virtues, check the ten traits that Filipinos would consider most important.

3. Family ties.
    4. Being a good son.
    5. Beauty and elegance.
    6. Concensus and group agreement.
    7. Public image and what people say.
    8. Gratitude for past favours, acknowledging this debt of honour.
    11. Freindliness and conviviality.
    12. Diplomacy.
    13. Honour.
    15. Gentle manners.

11. estudyante

estudyante Valued Member

of names and nicknames

general criteria for a pinoy nickname states that:

1. should sound like a doorbell/bell
    2. at least two syllables
    3. the second syllable is the same and/or sound like the first
    4. there is always someone in the family named "Tito Boy" and "Tita Girlie"
    5. "eng" and "ette" is added.

would anyone care to add to the criteria and feel free to add to some of the samples below

ting ting, didi, nene,
    ching ching, paupau, pepe,
    pong, conching, cheche,
    dong, popoy, gigi (jeejee),
    ding dong, dodoy, mon mon,
    tet tet, nonoy, ling ling,
    pong pong, ninoy, jun jun,
    boyette, etoy, kiko,
    nenette, kikay,
    nonong, dodi,
    dodong, cory,

Heres another one. Naming the child by combining the name of each parent.

Best Regards,
    Dong Dong :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  12. dayang

dayang New Member

i'll take b as the answer. what do u say?

13. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Fang Fang is Chinese and since the Chinese have much to do with the culture of the Islands, it is only right that what you do is Chinese, but you just don't realize it. :)

Gary

14. Estel Authorion

Estel Authorion Regrets my stupid posts

"should sound like a doorbell/bell"

:D hahahahahahaha!!!!

I actually know siblings who go by "Clang-clang", "Cleng-Cleng", and "Ding-ding". I'm so sorry, but even their surname sounds like a ringing bell, but I dare not write it out!

I'm sorry, I've been a baaaaaad Pinoy!

15. shootodog

shootodog restless native

eh? fang fang isn't a common pinoy name.

16. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Hi,
    Shootodog it is not the fact that the name is pinoy it is "redondo" :D :D

Sing Sing is in America could have been named for a Pinoy, or may be a Kung Fu guy :)

Gary

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  17. Raymund Suba

Raymund Suba Valued Member

Not quite. Repeating syllables is a fairly common SEA practice. When used on a noun it turns it into an adjective, normally indicating a stronger tone. In the Philippines we add a mid-fix (gitlapi), bading na bading (very gay person), gutom na gutom (very hungry). Not entirely sure if they do that in China.