Fighting for the crowd?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by komuso, Sep 1, 2012.

1. komuso

komuso Valued Member

Hi all,

this is just a bit of a stray question, primarily directed at the folk that get to fight in front of crowds. I totally get that the overwhelming objective for fighters is to win. But are you also conscious of the 'entertainment' aspect of what is happening. I dont mean in the sort of very extreme WWF (its ok Hannibal I'm generalising...) sense, but in a more "well this will work AND look cool" way - the sort of things that Ali used to do during fights springs to mind as an example.

The reason that I ask is that I am a musician, and it is definately something we pretty much all do, so long as it doesn't interfere with the ultimate goal.

Thanks

paul

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

My hackles were up and down again very quickly then! :)

3. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Great question. I'm not an MMA fighter, but Miller certainly comes to mind in the showmanship department.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSCKQFOPivg&feature=related"]Jason "Mayhem" Miller Entrance @ Strikeforce - YouTube[/ame]

4. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7XbzXBB1uc"]Genki Sudo Highlight - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-LMmb1Nrsg"]Ikuhisa Minowa highlight by Damien - YouTube[/ame]

You get lots of Japanese Catch wrestlers from Japanese pro wrestling who like to put on a show. I always thought Pride really highlighted the individuals more than UFC does/did.

5. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I once read an article that said the biggest difference between American and Japanese MMA is that in Japan its more important to give a good account of yourself than it is to win.

6. komuso

komuso Valued Member

What about in the UK Tout?

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

In the small scale shows its more important to stand and swing widely/ bang and then stand in the crowd telling everyone you do that UFC.

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

In Japan their ruleset (Pride) was more about on who was the closest to finishing the fight. Which has plenty of pros and cons. Also Japan is a culture of "ooh shiny!" and they admit to it. And as much as they like their beasts (bob sapp) if they have a homegrown fighter who likes to put on a show like Mr Sudo...he always gets the nod.

In the US and the UK Genki wasnt as well recieved and was thought to be a bit disrespectful...due to his "Bruce Lee" antics. In TUF2 Rashad Evans fought as a heavyweight and initially fought a little like that. Matt Hughes the opposing coach had a right go saying it was disrepectful.
    He still does it but not as much...kinda more like taunts now.

In the UK we dont have many flashy characters like Genki or Mayhem. I been to a lot of local shows and maybe 1 fighter came out in a cowboy outfit once...that was it. We're more a "swing for the fences" to get crowd reaction.

9. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

We "pretty much" ALL do?

I'm thinkin' y'all must be a string player,or maybe drums? Pretty difficult for me to look cool w' a big piece of pipe w/holes in it stickin' outta my mouth. Don't 'xactly lend itself to the overacting so common among guitar players.

Kinda difficult for Uilleann pipers to look cool either since they have to remain seated.

I think a lot of "show" in performance is more confined to some genres.Like rock. Don't recall ever seeing a Bluegrass player slide across stage on his knees with an ecstatic look on his face while playing a simple passage on a mandolin. Probably get laughed off the stage.

Stop painting us all with same brush or I'll send a bunch of bodhran players over to your house. Then you'll be sorry. :evil:

Nah,even I'm not that vindictive.

As to your question,it really depends on the individual.Ali did stuff that was unorthodox but worked.Leonard did stuff that was sometimes simply showboating junk.

Foreman,Shavers,and Wilfredo Gomez just went out and destroyed people.

Which I thought was pretty cool in and of itself!

10. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

yeah by and large I hate the crowds at UK mma shows, and I do mean hate, between the cocked up bodybuilders and drunk woman screaming HIT EM ! HIT EM ! and the gangsters wanting the prestige of being around fighters I could do without a crowd even being there.

11. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

dunno if thats uk wide you see a fair share of characters at Scottish shows, one of the boys from our gym came out to his fight in a Hannibal lector mask and a straight jacket the other month.

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Nice. I havent been to a show in Scotland as no excuse to go up there yet (have friends but not part or interested in MMA)
    Most shows I go to are London or South UK...other shows I watch via vids of friends competing or by internet.

I would say UK crowd are still a bit throw back when it comes to "cage fighting". But I also go to some local boxing or MT shows and sometimes still get the same reaction

Certain crowds go to these events and expecting to see blood guts and executions. Usually leave quite drunk...confused...but still turn up to other events.

What really miffed me off is that I went to see a friend fight in Surrey and there were ringside tables for £100 a go. Bear in mind this is a local show held at the open seating area of a race course.
    The guys sitting down there would have their backs turned away from the cage while shoveling food and beer not watching the fight at all. If you are going to spend that kind of money at least watch the fight or better yet give me the ticket and they can get drunk by the bar.

13. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Dude I'm with you. It's the same way here in the southeast US. I didn't hear a word my coach said in my last fight but I sure as hell heard this toothless harpy in the back row the whole time. I really wish the "mobile home estate" crowd would stick to Springer.

14. komuso

komuso Valued Member

El Medico!

I have seen all of the above. Davey Spillane manages to get quite into it while still seated, Bela Fleck is easily your showman banjo player, and the bodhran player from Fluke isn't exactly stage struck. You see, I may be a percussionist dedicated to dance music right now, but I have walked the dark side and played folk too :) One of the trombone players in the band dances so much while playing he ends up drenched in sweat.

You just need to get out more - or alternatively have more members of the opposite sex in the audience, it makes a big difference to the whole need to show off vibe :) !

Don't think I am ever going to complain abput an audience again after some of these stories though...

paul

15. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Really? My experience at shows down here has been really good. Other than one lady shouting "SORT 'IM OUT" at the last one we don't get any baying for blood or anything like that.

16. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

maybe portsmouths just a nicer place than glasogow ? who knows.