Fighting and the effects of age

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by InoNinpo, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InoNinpo

InoNinpo Valued Member

Not wanting to derail another thread I thought I'd make my own.

Firstly
    to contend against in or as if in battle or physical combat (2) : to box against in the ring b (1) : to attempt to prevent the success or effectiveness of <the company fought the takeover attempt>

Is the websters definition of fight.

I am talking the physical component of a scrap and not sneakily introducing weapons, or hatsumi knowing when the fight is going to start and blowing up your car.

In the context of self defence this would be the part where you create an opening to escape.

My thoughts are this, fighting relies on many of the things sport fighting relies on, strength, speed, stamina, pain resistance, hand eye co ordination, timing etc all things that decline as we age.

Obv as we age knowledge, confidence etc improve with age.

Basically what im saying is that as we age we become more dependent on the sneaky things, because getting into a physical altercation with someone in there prime is just a very silly silly move.

As we age these decline,

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  2. illumin7

illumin7 Valued Member

How so?

I mean how do you define what someones prime is?

Do you know how many twentysomethings I've seen get the absolute crap kicked out of them by men/women of an older stature?

3. Oldmike

Oldmike Valued Member

Old age and cunning beat youth and skill.

4. SPIKE THE RAVEN

SPIKE THE RAVEN Valued Member

"getting into a physical altercation with someone in there prime is just a very silly silly move."....I'd say that would depend on how prime someone's prime is...

5. Drewcifer

Drewcifer Hissatsu shinobi bachi!

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Foreman. And that's a stand-up fight, in a ring, with no tricks and no weapons. I'm sorry but I'm just not buying your argument...Hatsumi has been training this art longer than I've been alive and walking around on this Earth. He will have ways of controlling you that you won't even be able to conceive, and he will understand the space, distance and timing down to such a minute, fine degree that he will be able to trick you even when it seems to you that you're standing toe to toe.

I've felt this with my own teachers, and if I try to extrapolate that feeling up to Hatsumi or the Japanese Shihan...well, let's just say that I've never seen a man eat his own head, but I would like to ;)

6. InoNinpo

InoNinpo Valued Member

Apologies for not being clearer on what I meant by old.

I am referring to someone as they near the age of 80, I am not talking about a doorman giving a kicking to some kid.

The original conversation was relating to hatsumi as he nears 80 still being able to take some mouthy upstart (me) on in a one on one physical altercation. Basically I am saying at 80 he is lucky that he doesn't need diaper change every three hours and anyone who thinks he can still fight, even better now then at forty is just blowing smoke...

7. kevin g

kevin g Valued Member

I think it was Rocky 6 that said that the last thing a boxer loses is his punch. I've seen my dad (and my grandpa before him, who was a big boxing enthusiast) gain weight, get slower, lose stamina, lose eyesight and hearing, respond slower, heal slower, and have a harder time getting up, but still have outstanding physical strength well into their senior years. I've no doubt my old man could floor me with one punch, and I'm 36. The street isn't the ring. I only hope that in a few decades I can move half as gracefully and fluidly as Tanemura sensei and Hatsumi sensei.

I'd post the vid of the old guy flattening the young punk on the bus, but I think we've probably all seen it.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  8. illumin7

illumin7 Valued Member

To add to what Drewcifer said I recall Flloyd Meywether speaking on one of his meetings with Ali, he said Ali playfuly threw a jab so naturaly he threw a jab also, he stated that despite Ali's age and the fact he suffers from parkinsons, that he immediately spotted the flaw in his jab, and began to playfuly exploit it.

Wish I could find that interview it was quite interesting.

Dont mean to take it off topic.

9. InoNinpo

InoNinpo Valued Member

The average male life expectancy in japan is 78.87 years, hatsumi is very fit for a man of his years, but be realistic, he is on the way out!

My nan is 82 and she is also very active, goes to aerobics, walks the dog 5 plus miles per day twice per day. She fell on the way up the stairs, so impact from about 2 feet Nd broke her wrist in three places... That just wouldn't happen at forty unless you have some dodgy bone disease.

Hatsumi may be able to throw a decent shot, but his wrist would be more damaged from the impact than the target.

In addition, how many 80 year old world champions are there of anything?

10. TravelEntity

TravelEntity New Member

11. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

There are always weapons available.

Sometimes they're immobile, in which case the opponent simply has to be moved there.

What a load of BS. Even for you.

12. InoNinpo

InoNinpo Valued Member

AGING CHANGES

Bone mass or density is lost as people age, especially in women after menopause. The bones lose calcium and other minerals.

The spine is made up of bones called vertebrae. Between each bone is a gel-like cushion (intervertebral disk). The trunk becomes shorter as the disks gradually lose fluid and become thinner.

In addition, vertebrae lose some of their mineral content, making each bone thinner. The spinal column becomes curved and compressed (packed together). Bone spurs, caused by aging and overall use of the spine, may also form on the vertebrae.

The foot arches become less pronounced, contributing to a slight loss of height.

The long bones of the arms and legs, although more brittle because of mineral loss, do not change length. This makes the arms and legs look longer when compared with the shortened trunk.

The joints become stiffer and less flexible. Fluid in the joints may decrease, and the cartilage may begin to rub together and erode. Minerals may deposit in and around some joints (calcification). This is common in the shoulder.

Hip and knee joints may begin to lose joint cartilage (degenerative changes). The finger joints lose cartilage and the bones thicken slightly. Finger joint changes are more common in women and may be hereditary.

This is what happens as we age, the more we age, the worse it gets folks.

13. Gun De Niro

Gun De Niro Valued Member

I am a Genbukan member.

I am not in the Bujinkan.

I am disgusted by that last statement.

How dare you discuss another mans death as if its nothing.

(no rhetoric please you know what I'm saying)

I am sure that those that know and love Mr Hatsumi will now want your blood.

You should go away.

14. InoNinpo

InoNinpo Valued Member

Peolple are born, they age, they die...that's the way life works pal.

My intention was not to be disrespectful, I was pointing out that he is already older than the average Japanese gentleman when that die. So therefor can't have many years left.

There have already been threads discussing what will happen to the booj when he goes so I am not the first to bring it up.

15. Terrior

Terrior Valued Member

This is similar to dealing with someone way bigger and stronger than you, even if you are "in your prime" yourself, you can't just fight them with strength...that is not a fight that is stupid. I think your definition of a fight needs improving.

Why do you need to be so abrasive in the way you ask this question? It certainly comes across as disrespectful to me even if this is not your intent. I'm sure if you try really hard you can express your question in a much better way.

Where is the "Thanks for nothing button"?

16. KawasakiNinja

KawasakiNinja Valued Member

I think there is strong element of using psychological manipulation as you grow older. Like old soliders and police officers, Hatsumi sensei can "see" trouble from a mile away.
    He has nothing to prove. He doesn't need to "get into a fight" to prove his abilities. Like your grandad when you were a kid, he can cut you down with a look.

Just don't pull his finger...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  17. Gun De Niro

Gun De Niro Valued Member

you didn't read this and you should still go away

18. george rodger

george rodger Valued Member

You are on dodgy ground when you "appear"to criticise Hatsumi.
    You could say the same things about anyone else in the world and people would ,most likely,agree.
    You must realise that it is not his fault that people see him as more than just a man

19. illumin7

illumin7 Valued Member

Sorry George but why are you stoking the fire?

20. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

A little bit different perspective would be the two TV show hosts who went to examine the Bujinkan, had a chat with Hatsumi, and ended up at a "Ninja Obstacle Course" where Hatsumi really didn't have to deal with them. No cars got blown up and a fight or "test" didn't materialize when they were sitting directly in front of him. I think that's what people are talking about when they say he'd handle things differently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.