Fight Training

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Pretty In Pink, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah, the 3 miles is actually considered a very short run, and most MMA guys won't run past 6 miles once a week. From now on it will be sprint training.

2. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

The only thing I'd change is to add more weightlifting (30 minutes, 3 days/week at full intensity is fine) and do something internal/soft on Sunday instead of rest (tai chi, yoga, etc).

3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

depends how far out from the fight he is, what his scedule looks like and what shape he is in, there is a reason nearly every thai fighter, boxer and european mma fighter does longer runs both at the start of a fight camp (to build a base) and during a fight camp) to aid recovery

but like zaad said id talk to your coach first

4. Pretty In Pink

I went to class last night and tonight.

Last night was really good, felt strong. Working more and more on my hands.

Tonight I was wrestling and my other knee (the one that was okay) filled up with fluid like a lump on your head. I freaked out a bit but it looks like it should be okay. For safety I will be wearing knee pads.

Oh, and I was doing well! Really wish I hadn't got injured so I could've rolled. :/

5. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Good to hear you're doing better. :D Injuries always suck. :bang: I tripped during sparring the other day and got a bruised up toe and ache-y wrist. Doing better now, but it was no fun. Ice packs are your friends.

6. Pretty In Pink

I was off Monday because I was rolling with some old friends who "trane". One of them goes to the grip kickboxing and he's not great, and the other two are downright terrible. So it was fun beating up all my old friends who used to kick the snot out of me :)

Then Tuesday I got my blue belt (YAY!). Kickboxing went really well, learnt some new things which I have yet to try out.

Then tonight kickboxing was okay I guess. Then I went to CSW and it was horrible, another new knee injury. IT's getting silly now, so I'm not sure what to do. Should I take a week off? Should I take it easy?! SO MUCH PROBLAAAAAMS!!

7. Pretty In Pink

I went to BJJ in the afternoon and we now have a new Brown belt! Then I went to evening BJJ, and learned how to escape bad positions and we should never be flat on our back.

My knees are still agony.

8. Pretty In Pink

Today I feel, was my first real day as a blue belt. My knee didn't totally cave in, so it was nice to be crushed by good technique rather than crappy leg. I have also noticed that all the blue belts outweigh me considerably except for maybe two of them. One is a fresh blue who doesn't give me too much trouble and the other wipes the floor with me. Go figure.

Kickboxing went well. Kicking people was nice. I have a groin injury though and I'm worried in case I injure it seriously (again).

Tentatively moving forward.

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Kicking people rocks. Officially.

Mitch

10. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Fixed that for you. :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=151estO8pD8"]That's got to hurt! - YouTube[/ame]

11. Pretty In Pink

I went to class on Tuesday, and done alright as far as I remember.

Tonight was awesome. In BJJ I'm learning with all the colour belts now that I "have the basics". It's good but much harder than anything I've done previously, I'm hoping it speeds up the learning process. I went to two BJJ classes today, one ended up being half Judo where I got the only throw that I really know in Randori. It was a scissor rolling kneebar type move. I was so cheesed when I heard the Instructor say "well done Tom" because I didn't know he had seen it :p

12. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

thing coming along nicely then dude!!

13. Pretty In Pink

Thanks man, now that my legs have almost healed I hope that I have no more serious injuries. I have a pulled groin that has almost healed too.

14. Pretty In Pink

MMA training yesterday, it's always the hardest class. I did really well though. I think my DB is coming along fine, as is my offensive wrestling. Good news though, I'm going to be going to another club on Sundays with my MMA Instructor. They are guys who train with us and also have their own club, they offered to let me come up and spar with their guys! These guys have a cage and they spar way more often than we do. They also have a cage so I get to the experience of what real canvas feels like.

15. Pretty In Pink

MONDAAAAAAAAYS!! Went to class tonight, found out my groin injury hurts most when raising my leg in line with my body, making teeps ouch.

Then of to BJJ and it was AWERSEME! I didn't catch anybody but I held my own against the blue belts ^^

16. Pretty In Pink

I was off Tuesday, back on Wednesday, I can't remember much but I do remember sparring a boxer at boxing. That was good.

Thursday I went to BJJ and kickboxing and don't remember too much.

Today I went to the afternoon class, learned some stuff. Then I passed some guards and was dead chuffed.

17. Pretty In Pink

Went to the Saturday MMA class and did okay. Then on Sunday I headed to a friends gym to train inside a cage. I rolled with the whole class and did well enough, because they are mostly taught by two blue belts. They can stand okay too, but they really had a distinct advantage in cage control and spacial awareness inside a cage. It was really profound being inside it for the first time. I'll be travelling there and they will help me train every Sunday, it's practically Church now.

Also, nobody tells you how much it hurts having your head pushed against the cage.

18. Pretty In Pink

Can't remember what I done this week. I just came back from the Sunday class thoguh and got Shark Tanked. It was pretty horrible and I cried all the way home and now I feel worse.

19. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Is it possible to take video footage of training when you do things like shark tanking? Not to post on MAP or anything, but for reference and study for yourself. I'm suggesting this because it's something I've been able to do recently with sparring and it's helped me see a couple things I start doing when I become fatigued (lead leg gets stiffened killing my footwork, I stop throwing combinations, I take more hits without answering back) and it has helped put some things into perspective for me as far as what I need to think about during sparring while drained of energy.

You may notice you routinely do something like stop fighting for under-hooks, let somebody take you down easier, don't fight for a certain position as much, etc.. While it won't instantly make you better or anything, it'll help you be more aware on what you should be focusing on. Same thing could be used for spotting weaknesses/strengths when you're not fatigued. Just a suggestion.

20. Pretty In Pink

I am aware that I do do things like that, but I reckon a video will help. Might post the video too, although I'm not sure how to make it a MAP exclusive.