Fight Training

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Pretty In Pink, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Slightly different kind of log, more based on fight camp stuff.

Day 1

5x2 minute rounds on the punch bag

half an hour running.

Note: At the start of the run my heart hurt a bit, no idea if that's normal. I found that the running wasn't too difficult, but today my calgs are tight and stiff and sore.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Cool and a nice addition to the usual training log.

I look forward to your updates.

3. Pretty In Pink

Thanks Simon :)

Tonight was just an hour kickboxing, my foot is agony and my leg is unusually sensitive to kicks, so I couldn't really circle as much as I normally do. I also have like a bazillion things I'd like to work on in terms of clinching and boxing. We also had one of our guys come back from Thailand and show us some simple things like a nice Thai clinch alternative, so I got to work with a fw new techniques due to minor injury. A nice break from my usual style :)

4. Pretty In Pink

I went to class tonight and I only learned two things, but these two things just blew me away and made everything so easy. It was just brilliant, and worked so well.

Then I went Kickboxing and hit pads and sparred real light. My foot has a pulled muscle or something and it's not healed yet. Hoping tomorrow is different.

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

you learn giftwrapping?

6. Pretty In Pink

Nah, I've learned about gift wrapping from technical mount apparently it was an old school vale tudo technique.

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

gift wrap from mount is a very nice move, really works well in both MMA and sub grappling, sets the back take up nicely in grappling, and really allows you to tee off on them in mount

good luck with the fight training

8. Pretty In Pink

Tonight was a special guest training, a boxing lesson. I personally found it boring as. However, it is a necessary grind if I don't want to get knocked out. Then it was no-gi and everybody whooped me and it was horrible.

9. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

this is every training session for me

10. Pretty In Pink

Worst part is we have a girl visiting from Barcelona, who is incredibly fit and is a purple belt. She pretty much wiped the floor with everybody because she was the only purple belt in. :D

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Looking forward to seeing your progress with this.

I know its early days but are you not enjoying the striking aspects?

12. Pretty In Pink

I really do, I prefer kickboxing though. That boxing lesson was actually more like a mini seminar. Normally it's JKD kickboxing.

Tonight I can't wait to get back to Kickboxing. My legs are feeling better since the running I did on Sunday.

Also, my Instructor is giving me Tatami mats (free!) to practice on with my little Brother.

Best. Instructor. EVAR!

13. Pretty In Pink

Last night I was in the gi, and I'm starting to find myself more comfortable in top position, which for current purposes I suppose is a good thing. Then it was kickboxing with my MMA coach taking the class, he went over some counters that are more applicable to MMA, even though all he taught was kickboxing. Worked a bit on timing counters and body shots. Then we sparred, and I was fortunate enough to spar with one of he best guys in the class and faired much better than earlier in the week when he crushed me. :)

14. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

When you talk about gi or no-gi, are you talking about only "ground work" or "stand up wrestling + ground work"?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  15. Pretty In Pink

Good point. In a gi we are always on the ground. In no-gi it is three quarters wrestling.

16. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

Are you doing any actual wrestling chadderz ?

17. Pretty In Pink

Yeah, drilling take downs then rounds of one person being out and a new opponent every minute or so.

18. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

sharktanking ? thats tough but it will help you win. But is this just part of general MMA training ? theres no like specific wrestling classes.

19. Pretty In Pink

It's just a grappling class actually. So it's base low shoot and defend stuff, the aim is just pinning. Sometimes we start with over/under, other times just from standing. We wrestle in MMA classes too.

20. Pretty In Pink

Today I went to MMA class. I really didn't want to go today but I dragged my ass anyhow. I'd rather get beaten in class than in a cage. We worked a lot on clinching and takedowns from different clinch positions. Then I got to spar with people. I did quite well and didn't get totally whooped which made a nice change.