Fight Adrenaline Problem

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Bruce Irving, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Bruce Irving

Bruce Irving New Member

I got into a streetfight the other day and i was way to calm and very nervous. i wasnt nervous about getting hit/hurt because its gunna happen but more so just about losing. iv been training in muay thai for 2 months (and kickboxing for 5) and i was wondering, am i going to have this problem when i finally decide to step in the ring? or is this just like the first fight jitters.... because the last time i was in a street fight was in middleschool and i could not control myself at all! all i remeber was just swinging wildly trying to take the other kids head off and then ever since that fight iv always thought that i have to fight with a cool head or else ill get no where. so was this just because i was constantly telling myself to be relaxed, and my brain finally listend...? idk can some one give me some output

2. Jenny9973

Jenny9973 Valued Member

Hi there,
    I had my first fight just a couple of weeks ago and found stepping into the ring more daunting than the actual fight. My adrenaline was furiously pumping but I think thats what tired me out so quick. I know next time wont be so bad, so I think a lot of it is first time jitters!

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

No matter what anyone tells you your going to deal with a ring fight however you were trained up and then factor in your ability to deal with pre fight jitters.

Most fighters have them. Many think it's the hardest part of the fight. Not in the ring... but the weeks and days leading up to the ring. The hype, the self doubt, the fear, the lights, the noise, the ego, etc. etc. etc.

In many ways it's not about beating your opponent... it's about beating yourself.
    As the old addage says:

The fight is won or lost before you even get in the ring.

Street fights will get you nowhere fast. Avoid them if you can. If you've got no choice then go full force.. but other than being backed into a corner they're a huge waste of time and effort. No belt gets won, no one thinks your cool, you stand to get hurt badly... a waste of time - calm or not.

4. Noi

Noi New Member

It's been my experience that people deal with the adrenaline in different ways. For me, the worst period is around 4 days before a fight. Training has stopped, so your body is resting... which seems to make my mind work overtime. I calm down the night before a fight and always get a good sleep. I find I yawn a lot the day of a fight, and feel pretty relaxed. When my name gets called, I have a feeling of "It's just business now"... I remind myself that I trained hard for the fight, and this is just an opportunity to let the training come out. I focus on my Ram Muay, and when the bell rings... I go to work.

I find coaching/cornering can be just as exhausting as fighting, if I have multiple fighters going on a card. I think that means I empathize the adrenaline? I don't know, but I get more excited for other peoples fights than mine it seems.

Putting the fight in context helps as well. It's just one fight, less than half and hour of your life. The sun is still going to rise tomorrow, so just get on with it...

5. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

Adrenaline for a street fight and in the ring are totally diiferent.

In the street your adrenaline will hit you quickly and suddenly and because of that it can be very hard to control, if you know the fight is coming then you might be ok.

In the ring it will build slowly and so you have got plenty of time to prepare and deal with it. Also as said before everyone handles it different, before my fights I turn very quiet as I am mentally preparing myself for the fight. Also your first fight is a little easier than the rest because in your first fight you have never really experienced anyone in the ring trying to knock you out, and from then on before every fight you will remember the pain and the adrenaline will hit you slightly stronger.

But remember it doesn't hurt as much as you ever think it will. Hope this all makes sense as this is my first post.

6. Bruce Irving

Bruce Irving New Member

kk thanks for the replies guys. Cant wait till i can finally fight in the ring.... BTW how long should you be in training for before you enter your first fight. My friend does BJJ n he enterd a BJJ tornament with 5 months of practice n came in 2nd.

7. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

Depend on how long you have been doing Thaiboxing. As long as you have been doing Thaiboxing for a year then I reckon 2 months minimum of training is enough and 3 is better but the training will have to be LOT more intense than normal training and do plenty of running.

Best of luck with the fight.

8. Bruce Irving

Bruce Irving New Member

how do i close this forum? or delete the whole topic?

9. cityofangels

cityofangels New Member

i dont think you can, i think a moderator has to do it.... fight nerves are only natural, and as someone has already said, the fight is either won or lost before you enter the ring, infact many thais can predict the winner simply from the ram muay.... also as someone has mentioned, a street fight is completely different from a ring fight, with regards to ring fights, ive lost count of the amount of people who have asked me "why would you want to hit someone for no reason?".... chill out, relax your shoulders, steady breathing, keep moving, if he hits your first, dont panic, if you hit him first, dont get cocky.