Fifty man Kumite- at fifty?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by ArthurKing, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Grond

Grond Valued Member

The only gripe I have watching this video is the single Like I had to offer. For real, I just want to add that the key element here was the cardiovascular conditioning, the obvious key to this sort of training or comp level at any age. It took a lot of physical exercise to do this, and these people are clearly used to moving around properly.

I understand there are no punches to the face allowed but boxing wise there were some nice "fake" punches thrown. :D

matthew hewitt likes this.
  2. matthew hewitt

matthew hewitt New Member

Thanks man, I would have punched more but I broke my right hand in fight number 4 so was one handed for a lot of it! ‍♂️

Grond likes this.
  3. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Ouch, what did you do to break your hand?

Edit oops..for some reason I thought you were wearing padded sparring gloves, then I realized I was mistaken.

No hand protection at all? Funny we were just discussing this in the bare knuckle thread....doesn't take much does it. Hope your phalanges heal ok.

4. matthew hewitt

Punched an elbow....

All healed now thankfully.

Attached Files:

Grond likes this.
  5. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Oh man, I'm sorry you had to go through that. The visuals were worth a thousand words!!! Do they really allow no wrap or padding at all? Rough sport, karate. AS far as "all healed up", just wait you might find some long-term effects from that level of inflammation. Bufferin is your friend.

6. matthew hewitt

Yeah bare knuckle but we wore shin pads for insurance purposes.

I played a lot of rugby when I was younger and I think 80 mins on the field was more rough really!

Back sparring now and the hand is holding up well though a career as a classical pianist might be beyond me now!! :)

I hope my foolishness can inspire some other “old boys” to give anything a go!

Planning on fighting in some “veterans” knockdown tournaments this year and next.

Osu!

Grond and Dan93 like this.
  7. Ros Montgomery

Ros Montgomery Valued Member

Hey up, Matt!

I was a 46 year old spectator at Matt's kumite, and was knackered just watching. :)

Mitch and matthew hewitt like this.
  8. matthew hewitt

Hi Ros...for some reason this post popped up linked to my YouTube so I replied but have very little idea how these forums work!! :)

Great to see you and Monty last month x

9. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Osu no seishin.

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Is your donations page still live Matt? Stick a link up here if you want :)

Mitch

11. matthew hewitt

All finished now unfortunately, just waiting for last monies to come in.

It all seems a longtime ago now....5 weeks in MA is a lifetime!

Mitch likes this.
  12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Great effort it was good to see so many familiar faces in the vids and I hope you raised some money for a worthy cause.

Hope the hand is better too!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019