Fictional book recommendations about martial arts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Peterloom, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Peterloom

Peterloom New Member

I just finished reading an amazing book called The Last Umbra by M.R Chavez. He has a unique take on the Japanese culture by bringing a samurai warrior to early California. The book is full of action that kept me entertained from beginning to end.

A Historical Adventure, Action-thriller. It is focused on my admiration for the Japanese warrior class. This book tells of not a pride filled Samurai, but instead, a ninja assassin on a quest in gold-rush era California.

If anyone want to check it out you can find it here.

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Umbra-M-R-Chavez-ebook/dp/B00W01KUD4

Please recommend books. I'm always looking to read something new!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

First post on MAP and you're recommending a book. Did you write it? You did didn't you?

It sounds bloody awful to be honest.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I just tried a free sample on Amazon. Really wish I hadn't. It's not awful, but I put this Chavez bloke on the same level as E.L. James.

Bit off topic, but why do writers insist on that whole double-initial-before-their-surname thing? It comes across as a bit snobby.

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Often in the case of children's and Young Adult books, female author's do it to disguise their gender. Apparently, it is harder to sell books by female authors.

That is why J.K. Rowling did it. I don't know if her success helped break that barrier for children's female authors or not.

This was told to me by several Librarian's I have worked with.

5. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I saw that in a movie about J.K. Rowling

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Hm, I can see the logic in that. I think barriers are less of an issue than they used to be, seeing as Stephanie Meyer (Twilight), Suzanne Colins (Hunger Games) and Veronica Roth (Divergent) didn't do the double initial thing.