Fibromyalgia in the martial arts

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by shaolin_al, May 10, 2010.

1. shaolin_al

shaolin_al Valued Member

Hi everyone not sure if this is the right forum to post this in but here it goes. I used to study northern shaolin with a sifu who now lives about 35 miles from me and before that I had studied ITF TKD and Karate. What got me to stop training at the time was I had developed severe fibromyalgia. I take medications for it and am at the point where I know I need to begin exercising again and stay doing that consistently. I know doing any style is good and just exercising is also needed. My question is though i'm wanting to do a martial art and what style/s would you recommend might be good for me to help slowly rebuild my upper body? Let's avoid the "go check out schools in your area" and also yes I know Tai Chi is always good for people with condititions similar to mine but i'm looking for something with more physical exercise. Any help is much appreciated. I was studying wing chun off with a sifu at a YMCA about 30 miles from me but he is currently busy with work. I'm open to cross training and interested in any style if I can find a legit teacher in it, thanks.

2. Yuen Fen

Yuen Fen Valued Member

Then find a decent Taiji school, instead of Chinese line dancing.

Well taught, Taiji is a very physical workout.

3. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

oh that suuuuuuuuuuuucks....

yes sir you might really like tai chi

4. shaolin_al

shaolin_al Valued Member

That's true, taijiquan is an incredible style and can be a great physical workout as well. I guess I meant I was just hoping to focus on maybe some shaolin kung fu or karate but I will keep tai chi chuan in mind. Thanks for the advice though I appreciate it.