Few Nooby Questions

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by sn11, Aug 10, 2007.

1. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

Hello and welcome to another installment of "Help! i'm a noob with no clue"

Firstly with my training i want to practise punches/kicks at home, now i've seen things such as the "Slam Man"

(http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...gId=1500000701&langId=-1&searchTerms=slam+man)

I've also seen the more traditional punch bags which either hang from walls or ceilings. Now my question is, are the "PunchMan" instead of "PunchBag" styles just as good? or better? or possibly worse...I'm considering buying one over the punch bag as all punch bags i've ever worked on (Now granted this has just been a few kicks/punches at a few friends ones) when not properly held they've swung around so much it makes it much more difficult to use.

My second question is that is this movement actually GOOD for training? i mean i gather it increases your general movement within training but is it better to be chasing the thing around or is it better for it to just be stuck there?

My last question is that in a recent "Mens Health" magazine it came with a free 15 minute workout video, designed from what i know to simply nock off the weight. I'm curious though, are these types of things good? or is it better to make up my own?

In the video you work on 'offset weights' (Note: if it would be better for me to get the actual work out names etc i'll write them down and post at the request)

From what i understand any form of exercise will be good for weight loss but are there particular exercises that are better than others? I mean first i've heard "Cardio's the way to go weights just makes you bulky muscly" then i hear "Weights help you loose the weight but retain the muscle, you have to have specific diets etc to 'bulk up'". So thats quite confusing.

Hope my noobishness hasn't caused too many heads to be banged agaisn't the keyboard :cool:

Thanks,

Psymon

2. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

3. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

Hey thanks for the link, a very helpful and informative read!

4. Blake_AE

Blake_AE Valued Member

I prefer a mid-weight hanging bag. The heavier the bag, the harder it is on your extremities to hit. If you are new to hitting, I wouldn't start on a really heavy bag. Let it swing a bit, it helps develop timing.

The floor standers are a pain in the ass in my opinion. Would never buy one unless you absolutely must have something to hit and nowhere to hang a proper bag. At the gym I lift at, they used to have a few floor models that were not attached to the floor. They moved a lot further than a hanging heavy bag. You also couldn't low kick them because of the way they were built.

As for diet, weight loss and lifting. The basics are simple:

If the calories you take in are lower than the calories you expend, you will lose weight. If you eat more than you burn, you will gain weight.

If you lift weights while losing weight, it will help burn more fat and less muscle which is good.

If you lift weights while gaining weight, it will help gain more muscle mass and less body fat which is also good.

If you don't lift weights while gaining or losing, you will gain more fat, or lose more muscle, both of which we want to avoid.