Fencing

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by freespirit, Mar 13, 2004.

1. freespirit

freespirit spirit of the free

any MAPpers do any fencing becuase i am just going to start taking a course on fencing on tuesday and i would like to know what it is like ?

:Alien: :Angel: :cool: :D

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

3. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

I took fencing for eleven years, and have done well in a few local competitions... I only stopped last year because of problems with the club I was going to (1 - not a big enough hall, so only a few people could fence at once. 2 - it was the same night as the Ju Jitsu club I've started at).

Fencing is probably the fastest combat sport, there are three weapons (Epée, Sabre, Foil) which are quite different - I only really ever got on with epée, as it has the least rules :) If you're looking for a wider martial arts application, it's very good for building your awareness of distance and timing.

4. freespirit

freespirit spirit of the free

thanks for the information

5. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

LOL! :D

There's lots of stuff I haven't done - so much to do so little time :D

7. Kris H

Kris H New Member

What sort of fencing, historic weaponary, or olympic style foil. I do German Longsword based on Sigmund Ringeck. Great fun.

8. ranger

ranger New Member

i've heard from my sensei that it also has empty hand applications? becoz he has a friend who does saber fencing and is very good at hand trapping etc. any thoughts? i've also seen a style of arnis quite similar to fencing. i dunno but its italya or something.

good day! :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2004
  9. shootodog

shootodog restless native

great to hear that! it's a pretty fun sport, pretty demanding physically and mentally. it's pretty much like playing chess while sprinting.

three weapons: foil, epee, saber. which one are you taking up? was with the saber team here in the philippines waaay back in the early 90s. had the time of my life.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2004
  10. ranger

ranger New Member

you mean me? nope, haven't done fencing. hope i had but no i haven't that's why i asked. i think its has great footwork though. :)