Feasibility of a mid to high muay thai roundhouse for a streetfight?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Hazmatac, May 14, 2014.

1. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

I think a roundhouse to the leg, muay thai style, would be real effective unless you have a super unstable surface. Though, it seems that with the big follow (you spin around if the kick doesn't land) it may not be feasible, at least a mid to high roundhouse. The ability to balance might be compromised with the extreme commitment, at least on a more unpredictable/unstable surface (sand, rocks, grass, with stuff around you on the ground, etc.). Is it therefore a good kick to have in your arsenal, or should the roundhouse be approached in a different, non-muay-thai, way?

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  2. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

You don't have to spin 360 if you miss, lots of good MT guys never do.

3. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

I see... I was under the impression that all of them are taught this way and this is how to do the kick. Where are you getting that data?

4. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

Mid to high kicks are too easy to catch, even if you land one, they may cause pain, but they are likely to have hold of your leg too.

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Catching thai kicks is not easy. And 'pain' doesn't quite describe the feeling of being hit by one.

6. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

:confused: Is a kick to the leg considered "mid to high" level in Muay Thai? Per the title of your post?

I consider a leg kick a low kick, kick to the body mid, and kick to the head high.

7. Alienfish360

I know exactly the feeling of being hit by one.

But the risk of it being caught is always there. Unless you get a real clean hit, IF they catch your leg, regardless of how out of breath they are, you are stuck there till you get your leg out or you get put onto the floor which is the last place you would want to be.

I don't understand the obsession with fantasising about big hits, and knockout techniques with high kicks etc, before you square off to put another guy on the floor, your self defense combat techniques (once all other methods have been tried to de-escalate) should be focusing on being low failure rate, simple, single hit.

Which is why I think a simple low muay thai roundhouse and run is the best option for most situations, as a low kick isn't going to get caught, it will slow them down, which should give you enough time to run.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

If they catch a kick just spin out. If that doesn't work then clinch instead. It's not difficult IMO.

9. Alienfish360

But why try when there's no need.

Nothing is guaranteed in any kind of combat, so for "self defense" the focus should be on minimising risk, not maximising the attack.

10. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

It's just a way to get beginners using the proper mechanics. You don't have to keep it once you learn the kick properly.

11. yorukage

yorukage Valued Member

Don't forget what happened to Anderson Silva, that was horrific to watch in slow motion, over and over and over and over again.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ewj8T6E7XRA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Pretty In Pink

Like anything in combat arts really. You'll find high kicks in almost every striking art that uses feet, even the ones that claim self defense orientated. It's a tool for your arsenal. I'd rather be able to kick people in the head and not have to, rather than vice versa.

That was a low kick, and it was not set up at all. If you're going to throw it you need to set it up with something else.

13. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I'm not a big fan of high kicks, not because they wouldn't be effective if landed, but it takes more time and leaves that little bit of extra vulnerability. I would imagine though that if you were to get into a street altercation with someone who has little or no training that most kicks are not something they are prepared to deal with... even if the kick is blocked, it still hurts. I would stick with a simple jab, right cross, and throw a leg kick in there somewhere. The only higher kick I would use would be a push kick to create distance personally.

14. Saved_in_Blood

IIRC that kick was not well placed at all, and the technique didn't look very good. That was also a freak thing and you don't see that very often.

15. embra

embra Valued Member

Catching the kick is not enough.

You need to get out of the road from the kick's momentum - either inside or outside AND enter the opponent's space to capatilise on him being motionless on 1 foot temporarily and seriously disrupt his balance AS WELL AS catching the kick.

Catching the kick on the outside requires less opponent space invasion - you can spin his leg away.

Easy to pull off? -> who is kidding who? -> It is extremely difficult.

Is it worth training in this? yes - if you have folk to drill this with. Flat out in sparring there is not much chance of it working straight off, as it requires timing, evasion, interception and mobility.

Have I ever been on the end of a MT roundhouse? -> no

Have I ever been on the end of a Sanda roundhouse? -> yes -> pain factor -> indescribable.

16. embra

embra Valued Member

In a street fight - chaotic and unpredictable, will some bad guy initiator have the training and presence to execute a snappy MT roundhouse kick?

For one if he does, he is a disgrace to his art starting street scraps.

However, maybe a swinging kick is more likely - coming at an angle towards you - that you can only just see. I can't see a MT Roundhouse type kick coming at you straight on unless you get into a fire-fight with an aggressor who just happens to be a MT scumbag and chooses you instead of a heavy bag.

17. yorukage

yorukage Valued Member

I know of it happening at least once before, but it wasn't a big event or anything. Same thing happened though, the guy went in for a low kick to the sciatic nerve and the guy blocked it in similar fashion and broke the guy's shin. Until I saw it happen to Silva I thought I wouldn't see that again. I'm just throwing it out as a reference for understanding, not saying kicks are bad or anything.

18. Saved_in_Blood

I don't think anyone took it that way man... really it just doesn't happen THAT often... can it happen? Obviously, yes it can. Likely to happen? Not nearly as much. Guys who train in MT or any art that involve using roundhouse kicks and have even a decent amount of experience are very accurate with them and know what spots to hit and which ones are not ideal, aside from missing because the opponent happens to move in that split second it takes you to throw the kick, I think you would be ok with not Silvaing yourself lol.

19. Pretty In Pink

My little brother had a guy who was initiating a fight. Little brother got pushed/shoved and retaliated with a Thai kick to the legs. The guys fell on his face.

20. Saved_in_Blood

That's good then lol. I want that leg crushing power too, working on it :woo: