fear of sparring

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by Din, Mar 3, 2004.

1. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

You have students who are afraid of TKD sparring?

Where do you find these people?

2. Charybdis

Charybdis New Member

I've never really seen that occur (en mass at least). Little kids down here love to wail on each other, and women are the worst of them all (who says they're the weaker sex.. 90% of the competitors in our club are female! *heh*).

I'd probably recommend having some sparring drills for them to do over and over, get them used to making said light contact. Will help develop control for one thing, as well as confidence in being able to land a kick with just a light tap on their uniform.

Get them to play with the blackbelts, have them do over-exagerated movements so that the kids focus less on the other person 'hurting' them, and more on trying to hit that person.

3. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Hit em with a kali stick thats what one of my instructors does :) .

4. marcusknight

marcusknight Valued Member

kenpo kicker, i dont hit back often due to the way i have been taught to fight, my fighting methods are very brutal and can kill easily so unless some one is a serious threat to a freind or someone on the streets i avoid fighting back, but show them that they cant boss me about by taking their punches and telling them they are weak and not worth fighting, to win a fight u do not have to fight back.

5. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

I am on a personal crusade to expose this kind of fraud to the world.

So, what are some of these "lethal" techniques you do, and why can't you do them on a resisting opponent?

6. marcusknight

when i say lethal techniques i mean ones that can cause a permanent injury or death. one example is smashing the temple and pushing the eye out of the socket, i also disagree with knock out hits becasue they can be far more lethal than ppl realise, i hear ppl say it is safe to knock someone out, well the truth of the matter is knocking someone out is very dangerous.

7. marcusknight

i dont see the need to break the leg or rip the eyes out of an average opponent, only if they are a serious threat to ur freinds or standers by.

8. marcusknight

in short i dont fight but if im forced to fight i use very effective techniques which can cause permanant injury.
    by the way does neone here fight dirty in a street fight? do you think its ok to fight dirty?

9. How

How Banned Banned

Count yourself lucky, my whole group isn't afraid to send you flying (EVEN IN NON-CONTACT SPARRING) So everytime I go to spar I'm not thinking 'Will I get hurt? Will I hurt them? I don't know what I'm doing, etc' I think 'Right, it's you or me pal!' but I mostly think 'Oh Jesus christ why am I always put against that big buff kid!? this is gonna hurt!'

10. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

Leo: How do you know they work if you've never done them on a resisting opponent?

You need some way of testing the techniques.

11. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Well you don't have to kill your sparring partner man.

12. Charybdis

Charybdis New Member

Leo, it sounds like you're a blue-belt with a very high opinion of yourself.

Everyone knows martial arts done with good technique/speed to certain points results in a high chance of injury/death, but not having the confidence in your ability to control yourself, so that you'd rather take a beating then injure someone seriously, says to me you need to go back to your master, and have him beat you because you didn't train hard enough.

Humans are animals, and as such we all have the ability to fight for our survival in us. You need to expose that to your mind through steady training of your body, so that when push comes to shove, your genes come out on top.

The law (australian) states that in self-defence, you can use as much force as you felt a situation warranted (so an untrained boob can get away with shooting someone, a trained woman with a bit more force then a man etc). If all you have in your repertoire is 'injure bad' and 'take it', then I think you missed the point of your training.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2004
  13. marcusknight

charybdys, i dont actually do belts but am confident in my fighting, i dont think im the best tho, i know some ppl in my club that could slaugter me if they wanted to. my problem is control tho,in my opinion i either use too much or too little force to beat an opponent, so on the streets i may restrain an opponent but i wont hit them. please dont think im a cocky fighter cus really im not, but i am aware of the damage i can cause even unitentially and that leads me not to fight unless they are a real threat, also in britain the police and courts dont pay attention to the laws of self defence, if you badly hurt someone then you go down for it, even though by law you can use any force neccesary and even hit your opponent before he/she tries to hit you.
    i have had lots of instructors, but for the past 5 years i have done korean kickboxing and have been taught by both of my instructors not to use control except in sparrring, in korean kickboxing (at least where ive been taught) you are not supposed to care about the damage you cause to your opponent, but i do care, i dont like beating people up so i wont do it unless i am really forced to, and since we are also taught to take hits i might aswell use that on the streets if it allows me to avoid hitting them.

14. marcusknight

"If all you have in your repertoire is 'injure bad' and 'take it', then I think you missed the point of your training."

that basically is the way i am trained to fight, atleast in the past 5 years it has been. does anyone else do korean kickboxing? if so are you taught in a similar way?

15. Nikeolls

Nikeolls New Member

This might sound slightly ####### them, but, at first just put them against someone who is NOT afraid to spar, that way they will have to fight back.

16. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

This is how it works at my club. If you get a rep of being tough then most of the time only tough ppl spar you. This has happened to me and yes I do feel bad about hurting soft ppl but oh well not gonna let that make me a wimp. Works out great though many tough guys at my club. Some wimps get tougher too!! I feel bad for yesterday because I just schooled the guy (not contact wise speed wise) and feel like I put him to shame. I hope he improves though. He is not aggressive enough :( or fast. He picked me because he wanted a good match, and I admire that. The reason I felt bad Id becuase he said "jez I can only push you" (I was closing in so close our gloves were touching which was alot of fun for me, since I have been working on very close range lately). I can read telegraphs very well. I noticed he picked up a little later on (good thing he was trying harder). I don't slow it down unless I spar a kid or a woman (the women tell me to go light) then I just work with em (let them attack and work on some defense just basically slow it down which blows). They are afraid and only pick me once in awhile for a tough sparring match and they do this with others as well. They make a good break though and I get to work on some fun techniques or try some new stuff out,

Last edited: Apr 22, 2004
  17. Charybdis

Charybdis New Member

Frankly Leo, your attitude is appalling.

In my opinion, someone who can't control themself in a self defence situation is not a martial artist, they're a thug.

18. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

What is this fear of becoming a "thug"? It seems to be on the tip of everyone's tongue lately.
    Is "thug" code word for "shadow" as defined by jung?

THUG LIFE!!

19. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Westside! Ugh, had to spar one of those soft ppl yesterday (got forced to by the teacher since I already picked/got chosen by the regular ppl I spar with) :( . They said to me I'm afraid of you :( . I went ez on them but my block fed up their shin (felt like showing the scars on my shin and saying it's nothing!) . I highy doubt they will ever spar me again even though I went as light as I could. The person kept on trying to run away from me when I sparred em, sigh. Ugh, what kinda of maist is that. Do you guys think I should just show them sparring tips rather than spar them next time (if there is one)? I actually feel bad since they didn't even come close to landing anything.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2004
  20. marcusknight

one thing im definatly not is a thug, i hate thugs, they are the sort of ppl i do fight when im put under the conditions ive already mentioned. anyway, how can i be a thug if i dont fight back???? if i do fight i mainly use holds instead of strikes. and you cant call people who defend themselves useing no control except useing only necessary force, like not hitting someone with a golf club becauae they headbuttedf you on the nose but do hit back with their fists, some one who fights like that is someone who fights to win, the police do it , the army do it and many martial arts do it.