Fear - Friend or Foe?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Melanie, Mar 28, 2002.

1. waya

waya Valued Member

LOL khafra, not a bad idea at all. It's less likely to get you injured, and it saves on court costs :)

Rob

2. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

Fear makes us all act in different ways.

Firstly what is fear? It is a chemical response to our brain telling us we are in danger this in turn sends an adrenaline rush through the body to help us combat that danger e.g. help us run away from it faster. In days gone by when man walked at the same time as lots of other bigger animals that wanted to eat them this reaction was very useful to help them stay alive.

What affect does this chemical have on your body? Your mouth is dry your hands start to sweat and your legs feel weak and you feel clumsy and uncoordinated. This is the point when it affects people differently some people mistake this chemical reaction for FEAR and freeze they let there mind convince them that they cant win, they shouldn't run etc. Others let this energy loose but uncontrolled and they run and don't stop running they are in blind panic this is just as likely to get you killed as the freezing scenario. The one to survive is the one who lets the energy loose but controls and harnesses that energy using it to there advantage.

Fear is a complex beast and a subject I have only touched on. The above is my understanding of fear.

In answer to your question Melanie fear is your friend use it don't let it use you. Your reaction to fear can be overcome with proper training and understanding, but is not until the first time you are faced with fear will you truly know how you will react.

Cooler

3. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

To agree with Cooler fear is (if you break it down), just a series of adrenaline dumps to your system. We firstly get the 'fight or flight' response (which pretty much sums it up really), in a real fight the fear of getting maimed or killed triggers an adrenaline realise which totally screws up your accuracy and balance, but on the other hand makes you more resiliant to pain and give you access to 'some seriously mad strength'. The more you train in 'realistic combat' the easier it is to control this reaction and use it to your advantage. 'Realistic' is the key hear, if you cannot in some way inccorparate real fear into your training then this isn't 'realistic' there has to be at least some doubt in your mind that your going to get hurt, otherwise your just kidding yourself.

Thanx

4. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Absence of body beats presence of mind!

I wanted to comment on this thread earlier, but I was too frightened! LOL

I have only had two occasions to use my training in 'real life'. I got an amazing switch on of Adrenalin during the encounter, it was like everyone else was moving in slow motion, but afterwards I felt sick and on one occasion I actually cried my eyes out.

I've never read it, but I believe Geoff Thompson brought out a book called 'Animal Day', which is 'real worldly' and deals with this!

Andy ( don't call me Sifu ) Murray

Last edited: Mar 30, 2002
  5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Yeah I've read Animal Day (and the majority of Geoff Thompsons books) and in principle agree with most of what he says. He tries to cut the crap out of training and basically have you go at it, I like the idea (and have practiced for many years) what he calls 'restrictive sparring'.

Oh yeah, that post fight adrenaline dump is a real b****, I've come away from fights/altercations unharmed and then the next thing your legs just trembling uncontrolably and your like 'Bloody Hell! My legs gone mad' and it usually lasts for a minute or so until you calm down.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2002
  6. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

Predator or Prey?

I often think that the predator or the attacker is as trained as I am and he or she is confident in the attack or they would not have attacked. A mountain lion stalks upon the hill and lies in wait for a deer that displays a weakness. In general self defense we are taught in modern times that our body language has much to do with our attack.
    The attacker will do 3 things and those are:
    1. Target You
    2. Test You
    3. Touch You

Targeting is all about body langauge, is head held upright? Is your stride strong and determined? Are you confident on your path of travel. Are you not wayed down by baggage or high heel shoes?

If you are targeted next he will see how close he can get to you. It could with mere directions or a compliment but this is the next step! It is part of the stalking of the animal, can he get close enough to make the kill and can it be done without being discovered by other predator's. Law Enforcement is considered a predator in this case by the "predator" himself!

A grown man can travel 20 feet in 1 second and begin hitting, kicking, and possibly stabbing you! Get some mace! And be sure thsat this mace is out and ready to be used.

Recently in Illinois, USA we had a black belt champion raped by a averaged sized. middle build man in broad daylight in the back of her dojo. She could not fight him off with traditional training! This has caused many dojo's in the United States to "reconsider" training in the martial arts when the apsects are real life!
    Sincerely,
    Thomas

Last edited: Apr 2, 2002
  7. waya

waya Valued Member

Thomas, good points. Mostly right on as far as I have experienced..... Which Dojo was it that she ran in IL? I lived up there for a few years and most of my family is there also.

Rob

8. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

Adrenaline Lock

Someone mentioned "adrenaline lock". One way to prevent this is to yell. Proven fact that "yelling" "STOP", "NO" will send you into action.