Fear - Friend or Foe?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Melanie, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

What do you think? Can it be overcome? Do some people benefit from it and others don't?

Comments please :D

2. waya

waya Valued Member

Anyone that does not feel fear is either a liar, or sick. The true test is what you do with your fear. It can be a little of both. Use it, make it a deception, then lure and attack.

Rob

3. Melanie

Do you think it is something that should be overcome? Does it add or take away from defence/attack?

Melanie

4. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

I agree. Fear is a natural reaction to a situation that puts you in danger. How you decide to use the adrenaline caused by the fear is dependant on how disciplined/well trained you are.

Fear is an enemy you need to know well.

5. Melanie

Sheesh! I think you have answered the whole thread in a sentence...oh dear...

6. waya

waya Valued Member

I think that mostly depends on the individual and how well they are mentally prepared for it. If you allow it to make you freeze or hesitate, then you are already defeated most times. It can be used as a weapon in itself, or the adrenaline rush can be another useful side to it. But it can definitely be overcome. Without havinf fear at all then most people would end up injured or dead in a confrontation because they would be hasty and careless. But as I said you must condition your mind to seperate the fear and use the strengths it gives without the hesitation.

Rob

7. Greyghost

sorry mel......i'll try to be long winded next time.

8. Melanie

Is this a fair share of physical training and methodology? We are trained to respond to certain manoevers a certain way. I have fortunately never been in a serious fight, I have no idea how I would respond. Would I see a noticable difference from my response now to maybe a year from now?

Do you think strength or general fitness would help with the adrenaline rush you get with the fear?

9. Melanie

I'll let you off on this one occassion! ;)

10. waya

waya Valued Member

I don't believe it is so much physical training that handles fear. Mostly conditioning the mind to deal with it and seperate the emotion from the necessary responses. One of the most important parts of that is the acceptance that you are not in total control. After that it's not so bad.

Rob

11. Melanie

How long does this fear/adrenaline last for anyway? With this 'power' scoring through you - can you actually be in control of it?

Sorry if I am asking dumb questions....I just don't know...:(

12. Greyghost

Mel,

physical training and conditioning will help with what you do the "rush".

If you have strong legs (but bad feet!) you'll be able to run faster and further than your opponent...thus defeating him by causing his lungs to explode.

Seriously though. since adrenaline increases your reaction time and strength (though momentarily) i think that your techniques will be far stronger ( as long as your able to stay focused...no red mist now!!!)

13. Melanie

No remarks so far on whether you think the training that takes part in the dojo helps or not? I spar with my class but I am still not sure whether I would remember what to do and besides - how many people out there are gonna try and kick me mawashi geri (round house kick) or punch me oi tzuki (lunge punch) ?

I would imagine I would be hit round house and punched in the stomach - never had training for that though...

14. waya

waya Valued Member

It's not really a long lasting effect usually. Generally a matter of seconds, maybe a few minutes, but if you can handle it without hesitating that is enough time to either use the rush to get through, around, over, or past them and get away, or if necessary to eliminate the threat and walk away from it. The physical work will definitely help with automatically using various techniques. It shouldn't be overlooked as important.

Rob

15. Greyghost

training in the dojo/club etc is definately usesful..while your right in saying that you doubt you'll be attacked by a traditional Karate strike in the street, your training will allow you to react to a threatening movement , even if it's just putting your hands up!.

you will eventually condition your body to react to signals given by an aggressor...it's at this point your training takes over.

lets hope we never have to use it:D

16. Melanie

Well in the great words of Sifu Andrew Murray - I rather leg it like Carl Lewis anyway...

17. waya

waya Valued Member

Realistically, yes training in the dojo will help, but no, most of the typical techniques and sparring steps are not what will be used. To train strictly for fighting on the street (and I mean strictly for this purpose and no other) you would use more combative and crippling techniques or short joint manipulations. The things you train in class will do great for most altercations though. Especially when the main aim is not to fight at all if you don't have to. But you must train hardest on the things you are comfortable doing that come natural to you. Specific punshes or strikes and joint attacks that can be easily adapted to multiple situations. For fast reaction you don't want to be a "technique collector" because it takes too much time to decide which one to use. Make them automatic by practicing them over and over again slowly. Do it against multiple attacks and work on the things that work.

Rob

18. Greyghost

I've seen andy run....it's not pretty but he is fast.

19. Greyghost

yep...just wot rob said.

20. khafra

khafra New Member

Rob's got a good point. In a real fight, something I've heard called adrenaline lock can happen, and both opponents end up doing the same thing over and over until one of them can't do it anymore. I'd like to have a huge repertoire of flashy moves, but before that I'd rather make sure that my instinctual reaction is a good one.
    My own strongest martial skill is running, probably what I'd go to by default.