Favourite Weapons

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Andy Murray, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Joseki

Joseki Valued Member

The weapon i like best is the kubotan and i would use it if needed(i made up a custom one and its like and mini set of nunchakus) other ones are the knife (but i would not use it) the type i like is the fan knife (balasong i no i have spelled it wrong)

2. Pablo

Pablo New Member

The Japanese police have used a keibo (springloaded collapsible baton), which is available in a model that include a jitte like hook.

There seems to be a lot of confusion/overlap between jitte, sai, iron ruler, etc.

Too bad they didn't keep better records when they originated these things.
    :D

paul

3. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Chinese Handcuffs?

I have only heard of these, never actually seen them.
    Apparently two small lengths of wood, attached at one end. These are then wrapped around the wrist like a nutcracker and squeezed to inflict painful compliance. Anyone heard of these?

4. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

Ouch!

Don't know what there called andy...but i believe my wife has a pair......

5. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Hmmm - thanks for imparting such useful information Greyghost...perhaps a little too much information. Back to weapons I think :)

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I was taught them under the name ShangHi handcuffs, they are exactly as Andy describes them, they look a bit like mini Nunchaca. Everything you can do with a kubotan you can do with these, plus you can crush things (ooh err..) like wrists, fingers. The 'handcuff' bit is because they were used as a compliance tool. The officer would bang it on your wrist, squeeze, cause lots of pain and say 'come with me or I'll break your wrist' (oh, the good old days).

For favorite weapon mine would have to be my car cause I've been told I'm lethal with it :) .
    Okay, a switchblade, asp batton or tonfa would have to be my choices.

Thanx

7. SaiMaster

SaiMaster New Member

Thanks Mike for helping to dispell some of the myth of the sai as being used to plant rice. There is far too much myth about the sai around.

8. Kendo_Cougar

Kendo_Cougar New Member

I like Kendo Weapons, the big stick weapon. oww, i got hit by head, that gives me headache spmetimes. but i like kendo Weapons... its cool!

9. STASH

STASH New Member

L0L, all these weapons are great but I belive that nothing can beat the good old aluminum baseball bat or a police baton.

10. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

The best weapon is the one you have at hand when the feces hits the fan ... period.

Mike

11. STASH

STASH New Member

I didnt mean the best as in the best for everyone, just the best for me...

12. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Yup ... but that assumes you *always* have an aluminum baseball bat or a tactical baton on hand (and I'm not saying you don't ... if you do, very cool :)

Mike

13. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

A question for you weapons people.............?

What weapon is best ( Rope, Stick, Blade etc. ) to start with in learning how to apply an object in defense?

Andy

14. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

I like the stick for initial training purposes because it so readily translates to so many other common weapons that are often available or can be improvised.

Mike

15. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

My best weapon is my mind... honest.

16. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Of course ... but the mind should get trained as a weapon regardless :)

And, for those of us who can't rely on our minds as a weapon, it's nice to have a back up plan ;-)

Mike

17. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

For defense the blade isn't really a defensive weapon, certainly not short blades, its mainly offensive.

18. waya

waya Valued Member

OK, after playing with one a few times, and having one "demonstrated" on me briefly by Papa-san, I have to say I am in love with the Duck lol

Rob

19. khafra

khafra New Member

I find I can use my head very effectively too, but there are times when a blunt weapon isn't called for, when a sharp one would work better. Then I use one of my friends' heads.

20. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

I haven't actually been taught any weapons yet but that hasn't stopped me from playing around with large sticks and my keyring.

I feel that weapons are over rated a great deal but the unexpected ones are the best.

The weapon I am most looking forward to learning is the
    Manriki-Gusari - two lead balls on either end of a 50-70 cm chain.
    This can be concealed in the hand and the momentum that can be generated is phenomenal. My keyring now resembles a short version of these and with all the sharp edges can cause some pretty painful cuts. I haven't hit myself with it for a while but then I get cocky and try something stupid and loose some more skin.

Another fun weapon I have played with is the glow stick ;)

I love raves and when I get my glow sticks I tied some cord to them and swing them around in arcs of colour that just look awesome. He He you could mesmerize your opponent then crack him on the head a few times.