Favourite Weapon for Self Defence

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Judderman, Nov 12, 2004.

1. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Cool!

Next time someone pulls a knife on me I'll simply inform him that he's an idiot and I do not wish to fight him :rolleyes:

2. wing chun

wing chun Banned Banned

3. spikeg

spikeg New Member

I must say i am extremely opposed to carrying a weapon, Weapons including Pistols, etc in the USA i cannot judge on as i dont live there, but anyone who carrys a knife or other weapon in the UK i don't have the time for, i just think if you carry a weapon on you then your asking for trouble, and to be honest the only people i come across carrying weapons are chavs, and people who watch too many movies.

If someone pulls a knife out on you, you certainly dont pull one out on him, it just shows your as bad as he is.

As martial artists we train ourselves in preparation for combat, its his fault for pulling it on you as you stamp kick his knee out.

If you dont want to fight, you can always run, and if theres too many of them, just give them what they want, whats worse loosing your wallet? or killing someone and going to jail, or even getting killed yourself.

4. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Despite the obvious personal insults which Im sure Yoda will deal with himself I just wanted to say please stop using textspeak!!! ("coz, u, wud") and maybe take a minute or two before you hit post to make sure you included all the fullstops. Your last post was quite hard to decipher...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Please review the following extract from the MAP terms of service whilst you enjoy a 3 day rest in the sin bin.

4.3 Abuse / Flaming / Derogatory Comments:
    Abusive Comments, personal attacks, flaming, or derogatory insults or comments are strictly forbidden.
    4.3.1 It is fine to disagree with another member’s point of view, but please do so in a mature and civil manner.

6. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

What do you call a person who posts just to inflame an issue. Or one who talks about others as though he is not a part of a real MA community. Or one who fails to suggest a solution but merely passes adverse comment on all the others. Ah yes....a Troll. Recognise that behaviour here?
    They're a bit like piles - ignore them and they may go away but if they don't they become a bloody pain in the butt.

Nicely finessed away for a while, Yoda. Let's hope the cream works and shrinks the painful litle problem :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  7. spikeg

spikeg New Member

oh dear ....... now thats immature

8. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

I fully accept criticism of my comments. I am a weak and silly person who should know better. I have only 40 years of MA experience to speak from so please forgive my criticism of the actions of someone who is obviously entitled to take a pop at others due to his vastly superior position. I am humbled.

9. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

what? the piles joke or the sin binning?

I personally see nothing wrong with either

10. bigbaddog

bigbaddog New Member

Guns

I carry two guns
    My left arm and my right arm!

11. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

My favourite for close quarters is a brass kubotan made specially for me. It is a versatile and powerful extension of atemi and of pressure point applications. I've used it several times - even once against a knife (badly, I admit, but effectively). Sadly in the UK it is classed as an offensive weapon so I now carry a bronze vajra (Buddhist religious artefact, pointed at both ends). Guess what, it happens to be the same length as the kubotan but any police officer would have a hard job classing it as an offensive weapon as Buddhists following Vajrayana are supposed to carry it (as well as a bell). If they won't take a dagger from a Sikh or a big crucifix from a Christian I reckon I'm safe!
    I also wear a very heavy silver necklace (snake type) which is a very effective weapon for slashing actions and also wraps around the knuckes in a split second.
    Heavy bracelet and rings are also useful, and my trusty Breitling watch has been used in a backfist to good effect.

However, most often on the street I have used my aikido without the need for any weapons. Shudokan aikido includes street weapons and defences.

As to being immature - brain cells start to die off naturally when you reach 24 or so, so if my critic has any left by then he will have reached biological maturity, at least. Personally, I killed off nearly all mine by the age of 21 through alcohol and depravity. :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  12. stevetkd

stevetkd New Member

Nunchakus i believe are the best weapon to carry round as they are both extremely fast and powerful. Also thanks to many old martial arts films they are greatly feared and so when you produce them that is usually enough to deter an attacker , which of course is the best result of a confrontation for nobody to get hurt. There is a problem with legality in the uk but as long as you have a nunchakdo license you are fine, you just have to persuade the cops your on your way to class.

13. Jester

Jester I elbow, therefore I am.

A buddy of mine used to carry around drum sticks and use them whenever the case arose to protect himself. Another friend of mine carries a heavy maglight with him. Those things are just too heavy to just be used as a flashlight. Since I can't name knees/elbows I'll have to say I prefer to use my car :) Best weapon around!

14. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

gloves with brass knuckles thingys under it mwahahahahaha!!!!

i think nunchakus are legal here in washington, i think so are tonfas although i don't know how to use them, three-sectioned staff mabye but it's big.

for school and stuff, yeah i resort to pencils, pens, and the almighty compass!!!!!

15. boxhead

boxhead New Member

16. gazzthewannabe

gazzthewannabe New Member

honesty from what I WOULD like is a knife but its just not practicly in a fight ur more likely to get hurt urself even if ur trained n your opponent isn't but my bokken quite good(red oak) but then again thats not practicly due to size id just prefer a fixed solid baton it can block attack and grappel with with ease...just my oppinions :D