Favourite Weapon for Self Defence

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Judderman, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Accidently leading on to another item I should spend more time practicing with - the belt. Nothing fancy, just a standard 3/4 inch wide leather belt with small, functional buckle - but also very handy for keeping distance (swinging figure-8), blocking (each end wrapped round a hand), long-distance strikes (whipping), and the same trapping/tie-up as your cord.

When walking the dog, a dog lead can have other uses. When not walking the dog I could be 'looking for it' :D

My instructor swears by the hook-handled walking stick. :)

Judd - I thought kubotan were only offensive if they had a pointed (or sharp) area. :confused: The plastic connection rod from a window security lock has fallen off, and is almost an ideal length to use for this. My instructor suggested I drill a hole in the end, add a loop, and use it as a keyring.

2. Lanakin

Lanakin It's all about discipline

I gun is a good weapon for self defence. Until I learn how to block bullets with a katana. Then they'd be useless.

:woo:

3. Lurch

Lurch Angry Kid

A decent ballpoint and a maglight. A small maglight is basically a kubotan with a glow-in-the-dark bit on the end. Just don't attach a wrist-strap, as in the UK it is then considered to be an offensive weapon.

However, I find that the best weapon is about half a mile of tarmac. :)

4. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

As actually, it's a mediocre self defense tool for the reason oulayed in this article:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22149

On the parachute cord thing, and differentiating it from a belt, is the fact that its carried bundled up for quick deployment within the belt. The problem with most belts is the depolyment issue. Trying to unbluckle them and get them off, especially when many people carry things like cell phones on them, is pretty difficult.

And even in the case of parachute cord, I like the idea of it because it's nonlethal (unless you're choking someone with it), but I fully acknowledge that its self defense application is dubious for most folks. Forgive me, I was doing some martial name dropping. BAD MATT!!!

- Matt

5. Lanakin

Lanakin It's all about discipline

Woosha

:woo:

6. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Coupled with the requirement for the trousers ideally not to need the belt to prevent them falling down. :D:D:D

7. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

I'm going by what several Law Enforcement types have told me, although it seems to be a vague area. Some might let it slide, others not. I'm not sure how they would react to a home made one, but I think the onus is still on you to prove that you use it for something other than violence. Certainly some MagLites and some pens may fall into this category.

8. tlovern

tlovern New Member

I agree with much of the article, but a gun is not a mediocre weapon, if proper training is involved - just like any of the arts we practice, training is key.

I regulary carry a colt officers model in .45.
    I also take my training very seriously. My training (which is continual) includes: the use of shoot houses, ranges, and challenge drills.

A challenge drill is where a scenario is played out to be realistic and extremely stressful.

The local range has a FATS (Fire Arms Training Simulator), where they can create shoot / no shoot scenarios and vary the outcomes in real time. You get shown where all your shots would have gone, and in the case of multiple attackers, if you were shot.

Carrying a gun is not optimal for all situations, and doing so actually limits what your responses can be. When carying, you have the responsibility to de-escalate, to ignore, or leave.

But, I beleive that some level of firearm awareness is essential for the Martial artist in the modern world.

We did some experimenting with an airsoft gun - not all disarm techniques as taught work. You'd be surprised at what can and will get you shot.

just my two cents.

Very good discussion, I am enjoying it totally.

Tim

9. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Tim,

Agreed on most points and you're definitely training with a gun the way I wish I could.

My entire point is that for most of the population, open carrying isn't an option. And once a gun becomes concealed I tend to question it's usefulness.

- Matt

10. Lance Havock

Lance Havock New Member

My favorite weapon for self-defense is to fake a seizure. No body wants to go to jail for murder if they just want your wallet.

as far as a gun, don't pull it if you don't plan on using it. And if you use it, empty the clip.

11. Chingmann

Chingmann New Member

What, chuck one in their mouths and choke em? ;)

Personally, I would prefer pens as useful weapons. Shoes can also be used to trap and swipe at foes ^ ^

12. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

lol......

13. CobraMaximus

CobraMaximus Banned Banned

School bag weighs 10 kilos, i lob it at my assailant and while they are like 'holy mother...' i can get an elbow or kick in to incapacitate them

14. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

15. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

My shoes, they make great make-shift(i think thats the phrase) nunchaku! or my 42 pound back pack.

16. GCS15

GCS15 New Member

Best weapon for self defence?

I'd say by not being in the situation.

Just last night at the shopping center all the lights went out. I grabbed my missus and we got the hell out of there. The place was full of "undesirable" characters and virtually NO security. When the lights went out there were whisitles and more than a few kids came running in to the shops (ahh the joys of mobile phones).

Intuition is perhaps one of the great weapons. When someone is sending you "warning" signals PAY ATTENTION. You know when someone just doesn't "feel" right? On the surface they are all nice etc etc but you KNOW that they aren't.

Short of that "legal" weapons vary from country to country from state to state. I like expandable batons and Pepper spray. :)

GCS15

17. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

elastic cords could be SD weapons, they're fast, they're sort of maneuverable and they hurt the bloddy stinking living HECK out of it's victims.

Fish Of Doom

18. Karate_Man_1288

Karate_Man_1288 New Member

If I was in a bar, a pool stick. I'm trained with the bo staff so it seems reasonable. If not, keys pens, or any other everyday impailing weapons could be useful

19. dark_blade15

dark_blade15 New Member

My weapon would be one of them long key chains which could be used as a nunchaku or something of a short. it helps to keep the guy a distance if you wave it alot.

20. wing chun

wing chun Banned Banned

never carried a weapon, never will. you guys should have more faith in your art. shouldn't need a weapon to defend yourself and you should not be stupid enough to fight a idiot with a weapon.