Favourite Weapon for Self Defence

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Judderman, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Excluding parts of your body, which weapon would you or do you carry legally for self defence? Why that particular one and not another?

2. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Currently just pens and pencils. Can be used much like a knife or kubotan. Not a seemingly nasty weapon. Plus they work great for making a shopping list.

Some days I go out with paracute cord which is a great defensive weapon, though I don't think it's the easiest to deploy.

I stopped packing knives a while ago. Too dubious. Plus while I really liked my folkding "kerambit" I kept opening my finger on it as the blade was partially exposed.

And I also had a habit of forgetting I had them on me when I got into the metal detector line at the airport. I cannot say how much that sucks. :bang:

- Matt

3. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

I realized a few days ago that my bycicle lock is, in fact, a 6' steel cable with a wieght on either end. While not terribly graceful, if it got moving it would probably tear someone's head off (figuratively speaking) fairly well. I've trained with the nine link chain whip, and the two aren't terribly different (the bike lock is stiffer and longer though, so less showy stuff :p). Since I'm on my bicyle quite often, I imagine that could be imployed in an emergy.
    And as previously mentioned, sharpened pencils will easily pierce the body. You're also perfectly justified in carrying them with you. Walking around with a bike lock may seem inocuous at first, until someone asks "Shouldn't that be on a bycicle somewhere?"
    Or maybe the Wolf-toothed mace. Just tell everyone you have a really, really nasty chimney to sweep. :D

4. Wax

Wax Valued Member

My skateboard makes a nice little weapon. Never hit anyone with it but giving a solid board of wood and two chunks of metal a kick is rathar painful. As a shield the grip tape could do some nice damage to bare knuckles.

My brother-in-law once scared off a would be attacker by flipping his board up and mentioning the health effects of being hit by something heavy and solid.

5. Tribalweapon

Tribalweapon Valued Member

Same reply as I give all the similar threads :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Car keys and steel toe boots. I always have them with me.

6. JamieD

JamieD Valued Member

Steering wheel lock, never put it on the car but great for car jackings and obivous reason to have it in the car.
    Kubotan on the keys (of course along the the keys themselves).
    I personally don't carry anything else escpecially knives as I know I would use them if I had to, and the law doesn't like people getting cut up, even muggers.
    If I'd have to I would carry my extending baton. Failing that anything I can find lying around. Ash trays, bin lids,other people :).

J

7. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

I notice that you're from the UK. I should point out that the Kubutan is an offensive weapon as is the extendable baton.

8. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

35mm File Tube full of Powder in which I used successful and recently I like to carry about my all plastic dagger becuase it has no metal and not as sharp as a metal knife so when I slice up on a incoming strike with it, it just cuts the skin rather then through a finger or artery. So its more a deterant causing pain without as much risk of doing permanent damage.

9. munkiejunkie

munkiejunkie sanity's requiem

a maglight

10. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

11. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

A good pair of shoes for running away.

12. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

Apart from my fists, my mobile phone as I am usually carrying it in my hand and it is OK if you go through metal detectors, police search etc.

13. spooky

spooky Valued Member

Myself :D

14. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

We have been doing some work with the bo staff and it occured to me that a broom is a bo staff with stiff bristly things that poke eyes on one end. Of course, I don't spend that much time wondering around with a broom, or even that much time sweeping around the house, coem to think of it. But, if your a witch or an obsessive-compulsive cleaner, I think it would be a great weapon.

15. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Matt, how on earth do you use a parachute cord?
    My weapons of choice were rocks, because they were easily available, and I didn't have to carry them on me, to get one all I sad to do was stoop down and grab a handful. I have used them to successfully defend against dogs and I accidentally bussed someone's head wide open with one. That was scary.
    Of course, in the US, they aren't that plentiful, so I am still in search of better weapons.

16. Matt_Bernius

Take about a foot and a half or so of cord and tie one end off in loop. Hook the loop over your thumb and wrap the cord across back of the hand and into palm. Take the end into your other, "a mirror image" of sorts so that the string runs across your palm, over the back of your hand, and back to your palm. You use your thumbs to control and lock. You then let the cord out so you have a little less than a foot or so between your palms and let the fun begin. Use the sting to block, add a quick hand wrap and then you basically lasso the attacking limb. You then twist and saw. The cord has enough "tack" that it cuts into flesh pretty quickly. It doesn't break the skin, but causes a good amount of pain and quickly cuts off ciculation. You can then use it for take downs and tie ups.

Suprisingly effective. And really fun to demo.

- Matt

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  17. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

How would you explain to the police the reason you had this? Remember, at least in the UK, any item carried with the intent to inflict harm is considered an offensive weapon.

18. Matt_Bernius

Ahh Jud, why are you spoiling my fun?

Seriously, I do know people who carry cord to tie/secure things. But usually that's carried in the pocket. Which makes it lousy for deployment.

If you're carrying it defensively, it's carried in the belt.

- Matt

19. Jason Simpson

Jason Simpson New Member

My bike helmet, seeing as i usually have it on me, its quite painful to punch, and really hurts jaws! :bang:

20. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Packet of polo mints