Favourite TKD pattern.........

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by FireMedic, May 10, 2004.

1. FireMedic

FireMedic New Member

OUTSTANDING Mattsylvestor, or as my dad would say..."Bloody Marvalous" This is why I started this thread. Just from reading your exerpt up above I can now see where you are coming from. See, my Subumnim told me that until I get 6th gup ( test in 2 weeks) he wants the patterns exact. After that he said we can put our own flavour into it. I will definatley be thinking of your points when I do it from now on.

WOOHOO....keep it up people. I find this very interesting. But I do have to say...........even though I llike doing patterns and give 200%.........I love Sparring!!!!!! :D But that'a a different thread.....right :confused: ..... :eek: :D

2. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

My favourite pattern at the moment is Won Hyo. Guess which pattern I need for grading? :) So far each pattern I've learnt I've liked more than the one before, because they get more complex and interesting.

3. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

Hiya,

I teach this from the very start as there's no point in holding it back until later. It also means that I can get rid of 2 and 3 step sparring and get my students straight into the one-step stuff.

Exactly. Also, using the 'punch' you can move in and grab them, take them into a lock, shoulder barge them or punch them :)

That too, just make sure that you step back to 4/5 O'clock so that your groin is now about 6 inches away from where they thought it was, and your angle of attack is straight into them with a knee/kick followed by a punch/elbow or palm heel.

4. mattsylvester

Silence reigns. Has anyone tried these out yet?

5. supervole

supervole New Member

My favourite pattern would have to be either pal jang, or o jang.

6. mattsylvester

Why? Because of the way they flow or because of the applications?

Are these WTF patterns?

7. supervole

supervole New Member

Because of the applications (but they are prob the only 2 that I have thought about) and the way they flow, and because pal jang has jumping kicks.
    These are WTF patterns.
    Mev.

8. mattsylvester

What sort of applications have you been able to find in these patterns?

9. supervole

supervole New Member

pal jang can be seen here.

This is what I think the applications are,

Starting in the ready position...

Move the left foot one step forward into a right back stance while executing a double outer arm block. - grab with front arm

Slide the left foot into a left forward stance while executing a middle-section punch with the right fist.

Execute a right leg front-snap kick. - kick to groin

Immediately execute a jumping front-snap kick with the left foot. Ki-hap! - kick to face

Land into a left forward stance while executing an inner arm block with the left forearm. - strike to temple

Execute two rapid middle-section punches starting with the right fist.

Then punch with your left fist.

With the left foot fixed, step forward with the right foot into a right forward stance while executing a middle-section straight punch with the right fist.

Pivoting on the ball of the right foot, turn to the left (180º) by moving the left foot in a circular manner to form a right forward stance. Simultaneously execute an outer arm block with the right forearm and a low block with the left forearm. - back fist to nose with right arm, groin strike with left

Twist the body to the left to change the stance into a right forward stance while executing an uppercut punch with the right fist and bring the left fist to the right shoulder. - left fist pulls opponent into uppercut

Move the left foot behind the right foot and quickly twist the upper body to the right.
    Then step out with the right foot to form a left forward stance while simultaneously executing an outer arm block with the left arm and a low block with the right arm.
    Twist the body to the right to form a right forward stance while executing an uppercut punch with the left fist and bringing the right fist to the left shoulder. - same

Pivoting on the ball of the left foot, turn to the left (180º) by moving the right foot into a right back stance while executing a middle-section double knife-hand block. - block punch and simultaniously grab arm

Slide the left foot into a left forward stance while executing a middle-section punch with the right fist. - still holding opponent

Execute a middle-section front-snap kick with the right foot. - still holding opponent

Drop the right foot back into its original position and step back with the left foot into a right tiger stance while executing a middle-section palm block with the right hand. - pulling opponent down, strik to the temple

Turn to the left (90º) by moving the left foot into a left tiger stance while executing a middle-section double knife-hand block. - blobk punch and grab

With the right foot fixed, execute a middle-section front-snap kick with the left foot. - still holding opponent

Step down into a left forward stance while executing a middle-section punch with the right fist. - pulling opponent down

Slide the left foot back into a left tiger stance while executing a middle-section palm block with the left hand. - strike to the neck

Turn to the right (180º) with the right foot into a tight tiger stance while executing a double knife-hand block.
    With the left foot fixed, execute a front-snap kick with the right foot.
    Step down into a right forward stance while executing a middle-section straight punch with the left fist.
    With the left foot fixed, slide the right foot back into a right tiger stance while executing a middle-section palm block with the right hand. - same

Pivoting on the ball of the left foot, turn to the right (90º) by moving the right foot into a left back stance while executing a low block with the right hand and protecting the solar plexus with the left fist. - groin stricke

Execute a middle-section front-snap kick with the left foot.

Jump into the air and while both feet are off the floor, execute a high-section front kick with the right foot. Kihap!

Land in a right forward stance while executing an inner arm block with the right arm.
    Follow immediately with a middle-section punch with the left fist. Follow immediately with a middle-section punch with the right fist. - temple stricke followed by to punches

Pivoting on the ball of the right foot, turn to the left (270º) by moving the left foot into a right back stance while executing a middle-section knife-hand block with the left hand. - block and grab

With the right foot fixed, slide the left foot forward into a left forward stance while executing a high-section elbow strike with the right elbow. - pulling opponent in

Remain in the same stance and execute a high-section back-fist strike with the right fist.

Follow immediately with a middle-section straight punch with the left fist.

With the left foot fixed, turn to the right (180º) by pulling the right foot back into a
    left back stance while executing a middle-section knife-hand block with the right hand.
    Slide the right foot forward into a right forward stance while executing a high-section elbow strike with the left elbow.
    Execute a high-section back-fist strike with the left fist.
    Follow immediately with a middle-section straight punch with the right fist. - same

With the right foot fixed, move the left foot toward the right foot into a ready stance.

Thats just what I think.
    Mev.

10. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

Hwa-rang. I've scored many a knockdown with the hand-grab/side-piercing-kick combination, both in tournament and in real life. I find this technique extremely simple and incredibly effective at stopping an opponent in their tracks, especially when your opponent is side on. Trapping the hand and jamming the footsword under the armpit works nicely.

11. mattsylvester

Did you go for a body shot or a knee stamp?

12. inbuninbu

inbuninbu "Train hard, fight easy"

Tae Guk Sa Jang, Oh Jang

My favourites so far are Tae Guks Sa and Oh Jang, because I like the open hand techniques - they're a lot less 'blocky' and ugly-looking than the previous Tae Geuk forms. A wonderful combo of grace and lethality (I know I made that word up :D ). Also I love Koryo, the dynamic BB form, I can't wait to learn that!

13. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

poen is way cool

14. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

I've corked a few thighs with a medium strength side kick to the soft spot above the knee. If I remember correctly the guy was drunk and he started acting like an overly excessive boxer, ducking and weaving and all that. He stepped forward, I pulled his hand and put my heel in his leg. He was limping but that taught him. In other occasions, I've broken a few ribs in a few kickboxing tournaments with a fast stepping side kick.

15. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

My favorite so far is palgwe il jang. It just feels really solid, and I'm finally starting to get the hang of it. I'm sure once I get to orange belt, I'll be really partial to ee jang :D .

16. paulol

paulol Valued Member

I have always loved Wyo Hyo Tul. It was the first time A side kick was used in a form and the moves were eye openers for me at the time! :cool:

17. mattsylvester

Hi paul

The opening three moves for this pattern are full of techniques! :)

18. paulol

paulol Valued Member

I know "Killer Pattern" or what ! :love: :D

I also like the wedging block in Do San, man that's such a great move for a double lapel grab. :love: :love: :love: :love: :cool: :D

19. mattsylvester

And a wicked choke for the follow-up knee to the torso, followed by the neck break :)

20. mattsylvester

I forgot the leg reap as well :)