Favourite Throw?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Kuniku, Jan 30, 2013.

1. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

This move was also banned by Judo in Taiwan. Not sure it's allowed in US or not.

[​IMG]

2. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Do you have the details of this phd? Author - title - date - university? I would love to see that.

cheers

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

This book was published by 2/28/1974 in Taiwan. It's in Chinese. The title said, " The comparsion and research between Chinese wrestling and Japanese Judo". Dr. Daniel Weng obtained his PhD from the Ohio State University with similiar subject back in 1981. I don't have his PhD dissertation.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  4. Jumonkan

Jumonkan Valued Member

I would say, Ashi guruma, Oguruma, Osoto gari, maki komi, Otoshi. I like tai too

5. SenseiWS

SenseiWS New Member

For me I would Say Harai Goshi, Tomoe Nage, Tai Otoshi, and Uki Otoshi.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Wasn't Weng Matt Fureys SJ instructor?

7. Spirit Warrior

Spirit Warrior Valued Member

I agree when I first sure the leg wheel I fell in love with it:hat:

8. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I believe he had some SC training from Dr. Daniel Weng.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  9. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Tani otoshi.

10. hardball

hardball Valued Member

So many nice throws have already been mentioned. I like kubi nage too!

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

This is one of my favor throws (I don't know the name in Judo). This was the 1st throw that I learned. My teacher forced me to use this throw only and nothing else for 6 months. After that 6 months, oneday my teacher asked me to use it as a fake (intentionally let my opponent to pull back his leading leg) and set up a different throw (to attack his other leg). My knowledge in the throwing art start to grow after that. This throw to me is the root of my 1st tree. I have grow many trees after that.

The set up for this throw is very interest.

- You let your opponent to grab you with both hands.
    - You then break his 1st grip,
    - break his 2nd grip, and
    - attack while he has no grip on you.

You can also prevent your opponent from grabbing you to start with (as shown in the following clip).

- You get the 1st fake grip (left hand upside down cross lapel grip),
    - replace it by the 2nd real grip (right hand cross lapel grip), and
    - attack while your opponent still hasn't got any grip on you.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPj__T_LP0E"]fast_hand_wrestling - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  12. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

Hane/Harai Goshi and similar leg on the outside throws are my faviourte, it seems like the highest percentage way of throwing to me, its the only one I ever really see people without Judo or other proper throwing training pull off in alive situations. I also like its versitility, it can be done with or without a gi, it can be done with an underhook, overhook, basic lapel and sleeve or lapel and shoulder/over the back grip, you don't really risk giving up your back or putting yourself at risk of strikes in a none pure grappling situation. Also I personnally have always found that unlike allot of throws you get a bit of time to feel the guy suspended in the air so you can really make it pack a punch when he starts to go down to the floor but while maintaining good control when he gets there, I always prefer throws that lead straight into a good ground position anyway. I guess its probably not that great if your a short person though.

13. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

You know, I was always taught to go toes-down and NOT extend all the way on tai-otoshi (perednaya podnochka) so as to protect your own knee and your opponent's in case of unintended twisting on your or his part. As a sambist I feel a lot safer using this method.

Of course it's more of a front trip, blocking his ankle with your ankle as you pull him into stepping around you (or encourage him to hip out and circle versus a hip-throw). As I understand it it's normally taught in Judo as more of a way to drop the opponent straight in front of you by denying the step altogether and the ankle-to-ankle method would not work for that.

Perednaya podnochka= forward (leg?) block
    Tai Otoshi= body drop

14. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

I learnt tai otoshi with the toes down as well, for the same reason. I got taught that tai otoshi was really a hand throw, driven by the twist of the hips - at the end you should be pushing uke to the floor rather than pulling him. For me the leg is just something for him to bump into while all this is going on. Anyone else feel like that?

I find I can sometimes still get people to the floor even if they manage to avoid the leg, providing i get a good twist at the start.

15. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Tomoe nage.

16. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

It's not Tomoe nage.

http://cdn2.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/tomoenage.htm

In the following clip, after he took down his opponent, he jumped himsefl over his opponent's body. His opponent didn't use Tomoe nage to throw him. The reason he did this is in Chinese wrestling, you try not to land your body on top of your opponent's body for safety reason. It's pure "sport".

He put his foot behind his opponent's ankle, push his opponent's chest, to force his opponent's leading foot to come off the ground. He then grabs his opponent's leg and keep his pushing. In Chinese wrestling, it's called leg seize. In wrestling, it's called ankle pick. Not sure the Judo name.

People don't use Tomoe nage in Chinese wrestling. In Chinese wrestling rule, if your body touch the ground 1st, you lose that round. If you use Tomoe nage, you just give your opponent a free winning round by falling backward down to the ground yourself.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPj__T_LP0E"]fast_hand_wrestling - YouTube[/ame]

17. Knoxy

Knoxy Undisputed and Undefeated

kuchiki daoshi
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UZsFaJrAgM"]kuchiki daoshi - YouTube[/ame]

18. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Finally I got the name. Thanks a lot.

The reason that I asked this because in one Judo tournament in Taiwan, after both partners bowed to each other, one guy just stepped in and used this move to take his opponent down. The judge didn't know how to call this. Finally the judge called it "Osoto Gari by using hand".

The judge also didn't know whether he should give a round to the attacker. As far as I know (I could be wrong), in Judo, the fight starts from the clinch (both has grips onto each other). Since there was no clinch (no mutual grips), by definition, the fight hasn't started yet, how can a judge call it finish if it hasn't started yet?

19. Bomber

Bomber Valued Member

In Judo the fight starts when the referee calls Hajime. Any throw performed with control can be scored (if the person lands largely on the back, with sufficient force and or sufficient speed). Control does not have to come from a grip. If YOU put your opponent to the floor intentionally then you had control no matter how you did it. Control is deemed absent when ones opponent throws themselves on the floor (e.g. a sacrifice throw such as tomoe nage)

20. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Foot's on the ankle? Guess your eyes are better than mine.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013