Favourite martial arts principals

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Smitfire, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I've been getting into Sumo a lot recently and realised there's training concept they use that I really like and which would be good to get out into the wider martial arts world.

They have a training concept called "chest lending" where a wrestler "lends" his chest for another wrestler to push against and train on. Like a form of resistance training. It's not (afaik) overtly competitive. Even wrestlers who are injured (withing reason) can lend their chest to help other wrestlers and so stay in training because it's not a full on training bout with risk of further injury. It's common for senior wrestlers to lend their chest to lower ranked wrestler to help them develop. It's sometimes used as a lower level rehab when coming back from injury.

I've said in classes I've taught that the most important piece of training equipment in the gym/dojo/dojang/kwoon is the bodies of the other people you train with! And as you would any other piece of "training equipment" you should look after them.

I like the idea that you "lend" your body to someone else and therefore should expect to get it back in the condition you gave it to them!

I think this idea of chest/body "lending" should be more widespread in martial arts other than sumo.

That got me to wondered about other ideas and concepts that people like that might be fairly niche or not as widely known as they should be?

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Do you have any videos?

Also do you mean training techniques or strategies?

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Don't have any videos no. As I understand it, and I'm probably simplifying it or missing some cultutal nuance, the chest "lender" gives enough resistance so the other rikishi has to work to push them across the ring but they aren't strictly competing. Almost like doing reps with a weight but the weight is a hefty human. Although I'd be willing to bet it can get heated.

I like the idea of lending yourself to someone to help their training.

I'm not really after techniques or tactics but maybe some more esoteric ideas and concepts? Things that any art could benefit from including or learning.

Another idea I like is "husband and wife hands" from Okinawan karate (and I think some kung fu styles too). The idea there being that the hands work together like a marriage where one hand facilitates the actions of the other hand (like clearing an obstruction, finding a target, breaking posture or balance, etc). I think that works as a neat idea even if we interpret that with a more modern idea of marriage as a partnership rather the more traditional idea of the man being the head of the household with the woman supporting him.

hewho likes this.
  4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

We do the same in bjj. Offered just enough resistance to make it competitive for the level you're against, but let them win most of the time or force them to escape with proper technique.

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Probably not an esoteric or unfamiliar concept, but I like the EDIP principle of teaching: Explain, Demonstrate, Imitate, Practice. People employ this concept with slight variations, but here is the way I do it: Tell people what to do; show them how to do it; have them practice with minimal resistance; have them practice with gradually increasing resistance in scenarios that are specific to their desired goal/outcome.

aaradia and Mangosteen like this.
  6. Mangosteen

I think I understand what you mean.

I found this website and podcast that has really helped me with principles and concepts:
    Mental Model Database

It has 3 types:
    - Learning models: mental models to help you learn faster .
    - mechanical models: principles of biomechanics and the human body.
    - social models: self development and developing a club environment and relationships that are conducive to growth and learning.

Smitfire and Van Zandt like this.
  7. Mangosteen

I really like the "Extreme Ownership", "idea communism", "beginners mindset" and "respect people not positions". These things actually helped me get a promotion at work so theyre really applicable outside of MA.

For actual mechanical models - inversion and asymmetric warfare are really succsful strategies ot build on.

8. Grond

Grond Valued Member

My favorite principle is the idea of pummeling, which is common to a lot of ancient and modern combat sports. The general idea differs from art to art but the basic concept is the same, if you can't handle being pushed around in general with light to moderate hits, what the hell are you thinking you can handle a big hit. Never wrestled, but those guys pummel. Good boxing training always involves pummeling. MMA, no brainer. I don't know what TMA arts involve pummeling (I don't remember Karate having that, really), but I'm sure some do.

9. IronMaiden1991

IronMaiden1991 Active Member

Fixed that for you, comrade

10. IronMaiden1991

IronMaiden1991 Active Member

My favourites are:

1. hit hard, hit fast
    2. if it bleeds we can kill it
    3. I prefer to beat my opponents the old fashioned way, brutally (respect to anyone who gets that reference)