favorite part of training

Discussion in 'Silat' started by gumby, Apr 25, 2004.

1. gumby

gumby New Member

I have an oppertunity now to start training in a pencak silat system and I was wondering what other practicioners of this art think of it. What do you like about it and how does it compare to other arts you may have trained in? From the little I know about it now, it seems very interesting.

2. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I think you will find Silat a very interesting art to learn. There are many different styles of silat so they may focus on different areas. It's difficult to get specific about something that has as many or more styles than karate.

You will learn to move in a totally different way than the more popular martial arts. There is a certain fluidity that you will find in Silat. That's one of the big things about it.There is a dance like aspect to the training.

Silat is also a weapon oriented art. There are rarely anything resembling high kicks. Silat has not lost touch with its combat orientation.

Silat is still not very popular yet so if you have an opportunity to learn it now, you should definitely give it a try. Observe a class or two to see if it's something you'll like. Hope this helps. Good luck.

3. Rogin

Rogin New Member

I'm just a beginner in pentjak silat serak, and I'm finding it to be really cool. Compared to TKD it is a very practical and scientific artform, that I can see will take a lifetime to master. However right from the get-go you learn the building blacks and even those seem like they can be devastating. I'm very glad I started!

Rogin

4. amirul_tekpi79

amirul_tekpi79 Valued Member

brotherhood

Peace to all,

Training wise, i like them all! especially the partner drills.

What i'm mostly impressed (running off topic here) is the brotherhood between pesilat & pesilat, pesilat & guru, and guru & guru. You can certainly count on them to help out in difficult times.

Finally, getting all sweaty, bruised, blood (occasionally) and smelly (especially when the grass are wet and when the local cats had previously 'used' the training ground :mad: ) is IMHO, a really exciting experience :cool:

peace

5. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

going home and getting the best sleep of my life every night. and endorphin rush. But I don't do Silat. Just Shou Shu. I imagine someone can relate.

6. gumby

gumby New Member

Well, I went to my first class today and was quite impressed. I quite sure this is something I am going to do. My instructor is exicted to see how far this can take me in my skill level. I can see how it can be very devestating. And yeah, amirul_tekpi79 I can definatly know what you mean about the brotherhood (or sisterhood since I'm female :p ). That was one of the things the instructor mentioned to me when he was telling me about it. The group is very small, maybe around 10 people, and I already know some from TKD, so the sence of family is very evident. :love:

7. Silat Student

Silat Student New Member

Well I enjoy the playing, and the weapons stuff. I'm just starting out but I am loving it all.

8. Xhou

Xhou New Member

Silat's awesome but your lucky to have foud someone who teaches it. I was lucky enough to be taught by an indonesian intructor who didn't teach me the "watered down" version fo the art.

Iv found that a lot of people teach the sports aspects but the true warrior spirit that lies in Pencak Silat is amazing and I'm sure you will enjoy it. Just never use it on the street it can be a little too much and you could get into the "zone" which could take you over the top.

Best of luck with your training :D

9. paulsilat

paulsilat New Member

Hi Xhou,

Who is your teacher? Does he teach openly? I would be interested in experiencing other silat styles, and learning as much as I can from this wonderful art.

Paul

10. Xhou

Xhou New Member

I was trained by a great martial artist called Pendekar Herman Suwanda. I was extremely priviliged to be taught by such an individual, sadly he passed on in 2000. I now train with senior students. I'm sorry i can't be of more help.

Gareth